2022 Ballon d'Or

JamDav1982

Serious question: How can you be the best player over a calendar year if you are on sleep mode since July??

No top coach is choosing Messi 2021 version ahead of other top players they have in their teams for a reason.

Barca played in way that allowed him not to run and everything went through him slowing game down. Result was one dimensional team with the game being on the boots of Messi too often.

Result... lots of goals and assists for Messi but Barca giving up aspects of team no other top team will to same extent.

It was the Copa America that won it for him.

Temptation

if you count 12 months , he wasn't.

if you count the first 6 when all the major competitions happened , he was.

He pretty much won it based on the league carry, spanish cup and copa America. During these competitions he was the best in the world and it was not even close. I wasn't really arsed seeing Lewa statpad in that farmers league with miles of open space.

Carried Barca in the league to what exactly? Also laughing at flaunting 2021 La Liga as a good league. La Liga has been a joke post 2018 ish.

This reminds me of some Serie A fans claiming it's the toughest league to score based on its glorious past.

JamDav1982

True , same way with Ramos scoring the equaliser vs Atletico in the CL final. If Atletico wins , no B'dor for CR.

Di Maria misses v Brazil in final or Martinez doesnt win shoot out for Argies Messi wont win it last year.

The name of the player matters as does the trophies they win.

Not always about who has been best in that year. Messi was not the best player in world in 2021. No chance.

Temptation

No top coach is choosing Messi 2021 version ahead of other top players they have in their teams for a reason.

Barca played in way that allowed him not to run and everything went through him slowing game down. Result was one dimensional team with the game being on the boots of Messi too often.

Result... lots of goals and assists for Messi but Barca giving up aspects of team no other top team will to same extent.

It was the Copa America that won it for him.

Copa America is a 10 team tournament organized 4 times in the last 6 years. Many Brazil fans were publicly cheering for Messi to win it.

Let's not act like it's the Euros or World Cup.

JamDav1982

Carried Barca in the league to what exactly? Also laughing at flaunting 2021 La Liga as a good league. La Liga has been a joke post 2018 ish.

This reminds me of some Serie A fans claiming it's the toughest league to score based on its glorious past.

Same old story.

Barca are about only 'top' team that will allow players to do as little off ball as Messi did and to give up tactics to suit him in latter years to point almost whole plan is on his boots. But then folk think that means when he scores/assist a lot it is all about him bing the best.

'Carried' team to third in league apparently.. when didnt score or assist v the top 2 and was not even Barcas best player in the cup win/

Folk are blinded by stats and cant see what team had to give up to make that happen and all in all never brought success.

JamDav1982

It did but I'm questioning it.

Winning international tournament and he was their best player and what it means in his career all plays a part.

It is not nearly as quality a tournament as Euros but that is not Messis fault and he won for Argentina and it ends the Ronaldo Euros claim over him also.

Temptation

Someone just ran out of arguments and started getting personal to divert the conversation. 😂😂

Nice to know you begrudgingly agree with what I typed.

MagIX

Copa America is a 10 team tournament organized 4 times in the last 6 years. Many Brazil fans were publicly cheering for Messi to win it.

Let's not act like it's the Euros or World Cup.

I could agree, except for Euro 2016, until the final ridiculous opponents.

Temptation

Winning international tournament and he was their best player and what it means in his career all plays a part.

It is not nearly as quality a tournament as Euros but that is not Messis fault and he won for Argentina and it ends the Ronaldo Euros claim over him also.

I think the context matters here.

Messi got more frequent chances with 2nd strongest team in the continent.

Ronaldo got a shot once every 4 years with a team relatively weaker in his continent.

I think it was more difficult for Portugal hence a bugger achievement.

Home of Barca Fans