24 - Eric García

hardyboy

This match was just one of the worst matchups for someone like Eric and learning that grandfather died just before the match started I'm shocked he still played.

Long season though, lets see how he can improve.

It was dumb to start him. His mind must have not been in the right place.

JamDav1982

I'll rather have an overly aggressive player than another softie. We had too many softies even before Garcia was signed. Check out that stat some pages ago showing Mingueza is the proactive defender with the best stats in tackles, interceptions etc.

Mingueza is miles off it and nowhere near the player you think of.

Was being targeted and exposed by teams by end of last season due to his horrible positioning and trying to tackle anything that moves.

That was in a back two. Imagine it in a back three.

Garcia was garbage tonight but this is exact type of game Mingueza cant cope with either.

khaled_a_d

Mingueza is a mediocre player, just because he is fast and aggressive doesn't make him a good player all of sudden, otherwise teams would have just tried to sign everyone with pace, there is still other skills for a CB than pace despite it being more and more crucial in football. atm he showed nothing more than being a useful 4th CB.
Eric is someone I have major doubts at, but just like I said he wasn't focused enough and was targeted by opponent coach using one of the fastest attackers in the game currently.
Awful game, but drawing any conclusions from it is premature at best

Birdy

Mingueza is a mediocre player, just because he is fast and aggressive doesn't make him a good player all of sudden, otherwise teams would have just tried to sign everyone with pace, there is still other skills for a CB than pace despite it being more and more crucial in football. atm he showed nothing more than being a useful 4th CB.
Eric is someone I have major doubts at, but just like I said he wasn't focused enough and was targeted by opponent coach using one of the fastest attackers in the game currently.
Awful game, but drawing any conclusions from it is premature at best

He is not 'just fast', that's an oversimplification.
But let's accept that inside the box all others are better than him.
This game, and most games against aggressive sides are not lost or won inside the box, but outside of it

That's where the backline, with the exception of Araujo, failed miserably tonight.
That's where Migueza would have not failed

jamrock

Every coach in the world would take Mingueza natural physical gifts & develop the rest, that Garcia's clear eye for defending but doesn't have the physical ability to match it, so for that reason give me Mingueza, unless Garcia at least hits the gym and develops some strength.

JamDav1982

Every coach in the world would take Mingueza natural physical gifts & develop the rest, that Garcia's clear eye for defending but doesn't have the physical ability to match it, so for that reason give me Mingueza, unless Garcia at least hits the gym and develops some strength.

Mingueza gets stuck in.

He is not some physical specimen at all that coaches would be desperate to develop.

Was barely in favour with B team coach before Koeman gave him a chance.

fergus90

Garcia was decent on his debut as all the variables suited his game perfectly, so in those situations he has his uses.

He will be targeted by any forward with pace and power though unfortunately. Obviously speed is something that won?t improve much for him now but physically he can make himself more imposing.

serghei

Garcia was decent on his debut as all the variables suited his game perfectly, so in those situations he has his uses.

He will be targeted by any forward with pace and power though unfortunately. Obviously speed is something that won?t improve much for him now but physically he can make himself more imposing.

Garcia is fine as long as the other team is not dangerous in attack. He is a very good option vs teams we are expected to dominate, as he is good positionally and is good on the ball. But he is just terrible at contact defending, meaning pushing, tackling, heading, manhandling opponents. He gets bullied simply put by anyone who is either fast or strong. God forbid we face someone like Haaland who is both.

jamrock

Mingueza gets stuck in.

He is not some physical specimen at all that coaches would be desperate to develop.

Was barely in favour with B team coach before Koeman gave him a chance.

Ah no one said physical specimen, much better physically gifts that Garcia clearly, if one is going to build a defender the very first things you start with his pace & strength, some Garcia lacks
And Mingueza has 10x more of right now.

jamrock

Garcia is fine as long as the other team is not dangerous in attack. He is a very good option vs teams we are expected to dominate, as he is good positionally and is good on the ball. But he is just terrible at contact defending, meaning pushing, tackling, heading, manhandling opponents. He gets bullied simply put by anyone who is either fast or strong. God forbid we face someone like Haaland who is both.

Haaland would absolutely eat him for breakfast.

Total-Football

Also for one supposed to be a mastermind midget CB he should have "chellinis" the striker at least 20 30 meters earlier than he did.. It was the last minute of the game.. Should have fouled him immediately.

Home of Barca Fans