24 - Eric García

JamDav1982

Ah no one said physical specimen, much better physically gifts that Garcia clearly, if one is going to build a defender the very first things you start with his pace & strength, some Garcia lacks
And Mingueza has 10x more of right now.

He is not a physical specimen that any coach would look at that side of his game and think can be developed into a player.

His attitude is what stands out. He is not even a physically dominant CB when compared to others at top clubs. Nowhere near it.

Garcia would have had more coaches after him this summer than Mingueza.

serghei

Also for one supposed to be a mastermind midget CB he should have "chellinis" the striker at least 20 30 meters earlier than he did.. It was the last minute of the game.. Should have fouled him immediately.

In his delusional mind he thought he could catch up to Inaki. :lol: At least he gave up the fight in time not to make a penalty.

jamrock

At least we know he is better than Garcia was smart enough to take the red card, definitely has the mind of a top defender, not the body to watch, he would don't get any faster, but he has to put on some muscle.

khaled_a_d

He is not 'just fast', that's an oversimplification.
But let's accept that inside the box all others are better than him.
This game, and most games against aggressive sides are not lost or won inside the box, but outside of it

That's where the backline, with the exception of Araujo, failed miserably tonight.
That's where Migueza would have not failed

Him and Araujo are more naturally interested in shifting to the right side, and both are not yet developed positionally. Playing against the likes of Williams needs positioning as much as speed to tackle such problem.
That is why a guy like Semedo for example was a horrible defender many times, he lacked that understanding.
So yes, we will need one of those in such game and will have a use, but considering this stage of their development I would put only one of them as a starter.

I am all for getting a fast CB btw, and said before I didn't want someone like De Ligt due to his speed. But considering what we have atm? I have yet to see something that makes me want Mingueza as a starter.
Don't think anyone would argue against Araujo so

serghei

I am all for getting a fast CB btw, and said before I didn't want someone like De Ligt due to his speed. But considering what we have atm? I have yet to see something that makes me want Mingueza as a starter.

I'll give you 4 reasons. Pique, Umtiti, Lenglet, and now possibly Garcia.

We have managed to bring together 4 of the five slowest 10 defenders in Europe known to man.

serghei

IF Araujo is healthy and playing? I would take 3 of those over him.

But you just said they targeted him. Any team with a decent pacy forward will target the slow link. 1 is not enough if the other is at least not decent. Man, I get what you're saying, positioning and reading the game counts too, but imo, speed and strength right now, are just mandatory. You can't do without. Just can't.

I'd rather have faith in Mingueza to tone down the tarzan tackles and learn to anticipate and read the game better, than in any of these slow players magically becoming fast and strong.

Let's face it, if Garcia is not slow and weak physically we're not getting him on a free.

Again, this is in match-ups such as this game where we are expected to suffer at the back. By all means you can play Garcia - Pique vs Rayo Vallecano at home.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

I'll give you 4 reasons. Pique, Umtiti, Lenglet, and now possibly Garcia.

We have managed to bring together 4 of the five slowest 10 defenders in Europe known to man.

Much more to defending than just pace and he rarely uses it to snuff out danger but just careers head first towards ball no matter what.

Mingueza is not some whippet anyway.

Sailor Mars

Tired of seeing the spine of Barca's defense for the past few years be Busquets plus 1 or 2 slow CBs. And the occasional Roberto at RB.

Busi must go and the CB spots are both question marks long term.

jamrock

I'm still taking pique over Mingueza everyday.

Umtimi cant run
Lenglet is a meme defender
Garcia has the body of a 17 year old.

Araujo
Pique
Mingueza
Garcia

The two Frenchmen are non starters.

khaled_a_d

But you just said they targeted him. Any team with a decent pacy forward will target the slow link. 1 is not enough if the other is at least not decent. Man, I get what you're saying, positioning and reading the game counts too, but imo, speed and strength right now, are just mandatory. You can't do without. Just can't.

I'd rather have faith in Mingueza to tone down the tarzan tackles and learn to anticipate and read the game better, than in any of these slow players magically becoming fast and strong.

As I said, Mingueza positioning is a problematic and he will be targeted just like Garcia if he is playing beside Araujo. Just like Bayern and RM enjoyed targeting Semedo who is a physical specimen.
And again, I think another day and Garcia would have done better, getting such news before the game he should have never played.
He was just like Pique, too proud to admit weakness, Pique with refusal to admit injury, and Garcia with refusal that he is affected by the loss.

Few more games like this, and I can change my mind for sure, but during the Euro and Olympics I rated him much higher than Mingueza

Home of Barca Fans