4 - Ronald Araújo

malvolio

He's established himself as our best CB over the past 2 years

Maybe people should lay off with this 'our best CB' claim. Club clearly doesn't see it like that. Otherwise he would have got the deal he wanted yesterday.

He's not better than Pique.

Porque

Maybe people should lay off with this 'our best CB' claim. Club clearly doesn't see it like that. Otherwise he would have got the deal he wanted yesterday.

He's not better than Pique.

Actually it is a good shout to say that Pique has been better since Xavi come in.

But in regards to wages, a club like ours will unfortunately place different offers to Catalan players and even Eric Garcia than Araujo.

malvolio

Actually it is a good shout to say that Pique has been better since Xavi come in.

But in regards to wages, a club like ours will unfortunately place different offers to Catalan players and even Eric Garcia than Araujo.

Garcia came on a free so probably could negotiate a good deal. Don't think being Catalan played a role in his case.

Also, maybe club prefers a different CB profile. After all both Lenglet and Umtiti are good on the ball, so they could be looking at that also.

mc_lovin

Laporta has been pretty firm towards Garcia, even low-balled him. Fun fact: under Koeman Garcia was our best CB. At least in my opinion :p

The problem the club has is that Araujo simply shouldn't earn more than Pedri/Ansu if we want any kind of logical wage structure. Sucks for him though if he can earn double that at United, which makes the decision for him quite difficult.

Andresito

Staff member
Umtiti had showed a lot more when he got that fat contract. It's a lot higher than what Araujo probably is demanding, but I'm sure it's above what Barca initially wanted to pay.
At that time it was United's name again being thrown around.

It's a shame really, Umtiti at this point would've been in his prime for at least 3 more years.
Araujo seems like the sure deal to be a starter for us for many years, but he's had his fair share of injuries. So there's always that small risk of it turning into a Umtiti fiasco.

Players should know by now what kind of position the club is in. Freaking Messi was even let go. Xavi and the guys are building a great team, but not at all costs. If it's money the players are after, Barca isn't the club, at least not for a couple of years.

TheStig

Players should know by now what kind of position the club is in. Freaking Messi was even let go. X

While they are offering players from outside bigger contracts. And the free agents are not better, neither younger than Araujo&Gavi. That's the problem.

Vladinho

While they are offering players from outside bigger contracts. And the free agents are not better, neither younger than Araujo&Gavi. That's the problem.

The thing is that, like it was said in a previous post, the free agents that are coming have a few years of experience in Europe's main leagues. Araujo is at his second spell in LaLiga, being a starter. You can't ask for the same money like Kessie, who's been playing in a major league for over 4 seasons. I don't think the difference is that big between Araujo's offer and Frank's.
If you want money, Barca is not the place to be right now. If you want to be part of something special, Barca is the place rn. And if you have some patience, money will also come here.

TheStig

Don't agree with that. I don't care how many years who plays at top level. Gavi and Araujo are better and younger than Christensen and Kessie, hence they should earn more. With your logic, Luuk should have a higher salary than Haaland.

Raketa10

Don't agree with that. I don't care how many years who plays at top level. Gavi and Araujo are better and younger than Christensen and Kessie, hence they should earn more. With your logic, Luuk should have a higher salary than Haaland.

I agree! In addition to that, according to Transfermarkt Gavi has a market value of 60 mil while Kessie has 45 mil. Araujo is valued at 40 and Christensen at 35! There is no logic whatsoever that Gavi and Araujo should earn less than those two. Furthermore, Gavi is a much bigger talent than Kessie and has a much higher ceiling! We finally have a well balanced young team and we made some good moves on the market this winter. I sincerely hope we won't blow this up by not renewing Gavi and Araujo! It would be a HORRIBLE mistake!

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
If Araujo gives up what he has had here and goes to another club just because of money (obviously he will be a starter here, more so next season and beyond), especially Manchester United, then it is his loss.

At the same time, the club needs to be smarter and not so stubborn about it: Just think about the potential cost of replacing him, buying a new CB and salaries paid, will likely be much more than the cost of paying more to Araujo to retain him. Christensen is not a replacement of Araujo by the way.

Vladinho

Don't get me wrong, I would love for these 2 to extend. I'm not so nervous about Gavi, more for Araujo. But, if his only motivation to not sign is bcs he can get paid much more somewhere else, that I don't agree with. Negociate a clause, that in two years time, when the club is more healthy financial, to renegociate your wages. And show that you want to be here.

Raketa10

If Araujo gives up what he has had here and goes to another club just because of money (obviously he will be a starter here, more so next season and beyond), especially Manchester United, then it is his loss.

At the same time, the club needs to be smarter and not so stubborn about it: Just think about the potential cost of replacing him, buying a new CB and salaries paid, will likely be much more than the cost of paying more to Araujo to retain him. Christensen is not a replacement of Araujo by the way.

I agree. The club can't sign 3 players (Kessie, Mazraoui and Christensen) on a 5+ mil salary and expect from youngsters to play for much less. Furthermore, if for example Araujo asks for 2 mil more than Barca is offering that's 10 mil in 5 seasons! That's NOTHING in today's market! For that amount we literally can't buy anyone! If he (or Gavi) walks out for free we won't be able to replace them with players of similar quality. With all that in mind, Barca had to extend those two long before they started to talk about signing free agents this summer. We are literally saying we don't have money for you but we do have it for some other guys. Unbelievably dumb move!

Home of Barca Fans