5 - Carles Puyol

E

estranged

Even severe sprains with ligament damage/tears can be troublesome, now we're dealing with a bone ripped out of place tearing every ligament, tissue, and muscle in sight. It's gonna be bad for Puyol in terms of healing and recovery. Not optimistic about him playing until well into the new year.

Now that you put it like that I'm not so optimistic.
I hate to ask it but if it's bad, could he retire or is that just improbable?

At 34 years one can't help but wonder. He has been getting injured so frequently over the past 3 seasons that it may just be the best decision. If he is out for 3 months from this injury it may be the case.

CatalinR10

Duran (surgeon): "If it's only a dislocation of the elbow, he will be out for around 3 months." [punto radio] *not doctor who treats puyol

Carles Puyol will probably be out for 2 to 3 months with a dislocated elbow #fcblive [catalunya radio]

G

Giannino

NO! He's not going to retire. This could happen to anyone, it's just bad luck. It has nothing to do with his age, a 20-year old would have been injured the same way if he rolled over his arm like Puyi did.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
I didn't see how he fell...I remember seeing him get up pretty high, even the French commentators noted/laughed when it happend...but then the camera cut away...Did they show it elsewhere on how he lost his balance?

Trickykid

I don't see any risk that he's going to retire any time soon. Even if he'd be out for half a year, he's still going to come back, as it's in his extremely combatative nature. Besides, this is a freak injury - shit happens, and I doubt it has anything to do with his physical shape. Regarding injuries during his last three years, aside from 10-11, he's still playing around 45 games a season, so I honestly think his increasing injury problems are a tad blown out of proportion, even though he's been extremely unlucky since his bad injury last season.

numero

317517_10151092240177684_563789792_n.jpg

Pepe Silvia

I didn't see how he fell...I remember seeing him get up pretty high, even the French commentators noted/laughed when it happend...but then the camera cut away...Did they show it elsewhere on how he lost his balance?
Yeah they showed it clearly. You saw him start his run from practically midfield then jump in the air at an angle to head it in (I didn't see him make contact with anyone I just think he jumped so high as to outwork anyone else contesting for the ball), and literally land right on it and roll over it. It was disgusting to watch. My wife and I were horrified jumping around the garage.

Aasim

Bumbleman
Even severe sprains with ligament damage/tears can be troublesome, now we're dealing with a bone ripped out of place tearing every ligament, tissue, and muscle in sight. It's gonna be bad for Puyol in terms of healing and recovery. Not optimistic about him playing until well into the new year.

Yep, having had time to reflect, Puyi is out for a long time. 3 months minimum considering the damage occurred which we can see...don't know the damage that's happened which we can't see.

I hope he gets a proper recovery period and not rushed back. He deserves it.

E

estranged

How did he not brace himself for the fall?...He had to have been hit or lost his balance somehow

I was wondering the same, this is when the age issues/not being able to react as he would have 5 years ago comes into play. I was kind of mad at him for going for a header like that at that point of the match, in a match which was already settled, but then that's like telling Puyol not be Puyol, it's what makes him such a beast.

Pepe Silvia

Reaction time and positioning go hand in hand, and his positioning is flawless. I just think he went for glory and paid a big price unfortunately. Was there a need for him to come barreling in like that at 2-0? No way, that's something you do when you're down and NEED a goal.

Home of Barca Fans