6 - Gavi

JamDav1982

Not sure it works like that. Neither should his agent be okay with him being rushed into a premature deal. And well, age+professional contracts is still an issue - see Fati if I remember correctly.

Anyway, Gavi will get his Ansu/Pedri deal. Hopefully that's enough for him.

Of course it works like that.

Players with more recognition will be more sought after.

His age has no relevance to points being discussed. What are you saying is the problem there?

soul24rage

I just do not understand why it's taking the club this long with renewals when you're dealing with talents like Gavi and Araujo.

Given their level of talent, you can surmise that they will get better and their value will increase as well making it more difficult to renew from Barca's perspective.

mc_lovin

Of course it works like that.

Players with more recognition will be more sought after.

His age has no relevance to points being discussed. What are you saying is the problem there?

1) Pretty sure we can't offer him a better contract now that goes into effect in June without knowing whether it complies with FFP or not.
2) There was no room to extend contracts before - see the Umtiti stunt.
3) He's 17, him signing a contract now can always be voided.

JamDav1982

1) Pretty sure we can't offer him a better contract now that goes into effect in June without knowing whether it complies with FFP or not.
2) There was no room to extend contracts before - see the Umtiti stunt.
3) He's 17, him signing a contract now can always be voided.

They can offer him a better contract that goes into effect from June and can agree a new salary for then either way.
There was room to extend. Can extend contract under these rules. Messi for example could have been extended.
Why would a contract be voided as he is 17?

No media is claiming 'Barca could not extend' these players as reason not been done. You are coming up with that.

The club have been trying to extend them.

Last edited:

delancey

I would assume that an amicable deal will be reached eventually. Gavi is a La Masia product, after all, so I?m sure that he holds gratitude and a strong sense of belongingness towards the club as well.

Let?s also not forget the downsides of making a move based solely on making as much money as possible (especially at such a young age). Cultural barrier, language barrier, away from friends and family, drastic weather changes, lack of sense of belongingness and support from the club and fans, fellow players, etc.

The money will come for him eventually here too.

JamDav1982

I would assume that an amicable deal will be reached eventually. Gavi is a La Masia product, after all, so I?m sure that he holds gratitude and a strong sense of belongingness towards the club as well.

Let?s also not forget the downsides of making a move based solely on making as much money as possible (especially at such a young age). Cultural barrier, language barrier, away from friends and family, drastic weather changes, lack of sense of belongingness and support from the club and fans, fellow players, etc.

The money will come for him eventually here too.

You assume he would leave Spain.. likes of Real and Atletico would love to get their hands on Gavi if leaving country was such an issue for him.

Some friendly pacts wouldnt stop it if Gavi gave green light.

He wont stay if Barca try to pay him pennies and point to him being 17.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I just do not understand why it's taking the club this long with renewals when you're dealing with talents like Gavi and Araujo.

Given their level of talent, you can surmise that they will get better and their value will increase as well making it more difficult to renew from Barca's perspective.

Exactly, stop talking about signing new players when our own gems are not even tied down, and stop offering incoming players big wages before we extend our own with equivalent wages.

To me it looks like a case of misplaced priorities. For players like Gavi and Araujo, as long as you can do it financially (within the salary cap etc.), we can and should consider breaking the structure a bit just to keep them.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
It's normal for these things to take time. They'll get it done before the season ends. It took Bayern, the example people here love to use an entire year to renew Goretzka after talks breaking down multiple times.

Also they can work on other signings at the same time as trying to renew these two. They have multiple people working on both things.

JamDav1982

It's normal for these things to take time. They'll get it done before the season ends. It took Bayern, the example people here love to use an entire year to renew Goretzka after talks breaking down multiple times.

Also they can work on other signings at the same time as trying to renew these two. They have multiple people working on both things.

Gavi should be renewed and on good salary.

Not convinced they will be all in on Araujo to extent some think.

There will be a twinkle in the eye when they think of fee that they can get for him that would be pure profit should he not agree to salary.

DonAK

Gavi should be renewed and on good salary.

Not convinced they will be all in on Araujo to extent some think.

There will be a twinkle in the eye when they think of fee that they can get for him that would be pure profit should he not agree to salary.

I think they'll get both done, but they won't go overboard for either of them. I think they'll improve their offer to Araujo to be somewhere in that Pedri range and he'll take that. Maybe they agree on a shorter contract of 3 or 4 years instead so he can try improve it again in 2-3 years.

I'm sure both prioritize staying at Barca so won't kick up a huge fuss over them not matching offers from abroad.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire

The difference, I'd argue is that in Bayern's many cases, there weren't that much competition from English, Spanish and certainly German clubs (well, with the exception of Sule and I don't know what to believe in his case) with allegedly higher offers. I am hoping the club comes to its sense and does the right thing to keep the players, not at all cost but with comparable and competitive wages.

DonAK

The difference, I'd argue is that in Bayern's cases, there weren't that many competitions from English, Spanish and certainly German clubs (well, with the exception of Sule and I don't know what to believe in his case) with allegedly higher offers. I am hoping the club comes to its sense and does the right thing to keep the players, not at all cost but with comparable and competitive wages.

I'm pretty sure there were multiple clubs that enquired about Goretzka's situation. He's a very good player.

But saying they should stop planning for the next season to get this done first....it just isn't how it works though. These things move simultaneously. They have multiple people working in the club on different scenarios and different things. Contract extensions, targets for Summer 2022, scouting possible targets for the future and much more.

JamDav1982

I think they'll get both done, but they won't go overboard for either of them. I think they'll improve their offer to Araujo to be somewhere in that Pedri range and he'll take that. Maybe they agree on a shorter contract of 3 or 4 years instead so he can try improve it again in 2-3 years.

I'm sure both prioritize staying at Barca so won't kick up a huge fuss over them not matching offers from abroad.

Not sure Aruajo will get Pedri salary or he deserves that.

Pedri is possibly one of top mids in world already while Araujo has long way to go and lot to improve on. Think they would take the money for Araujo before doing that.

Clubs would pay a lot more for Pedri than they would Araujo. If he is pointing at him as some kind of comparison should be on to a loser.

delancey

You assume he would leave Spain.. likes of Real and Atletico would love to get their hands on Gavi if leaving country was such an issue for him.

Some friendly pacts wouldnt stop it if Gavi gave green light.

He wont stay if Barca try to pay him pennies and point to him being 17.

I wouldn?t assume that Real Madrid is a likely destinations for a La Masia product, especially one of Gavi?s talent. That would be a Figo 2.0 level of disrespect towards the club. That?s not gonna happen!

I haven?t seen any figures regarding how much we have offered him. Have you? We don?t know if the agent is asking for a high commission, etc. I imagine 2-4m per season before tax?

I think he will renew. Like I said, he too has a lot to lose by leaving.

Home of Barca Fans