7 - Ferran Torres

FinBarcelonafan

Jesus, the level of analysis here. "I don't know why I think this but I think this." May as well apply to punditry with this line of thinking

It's a gamble for sure. Yet even worse case scenario we sell him for 20-30mil and make a small loss. High risk, high reward. It's a good buy because we don't have much to lose.

Latschenkiefer

I don't know too much about him but to me he looks like the wrong profile again. What is he really good at? He strikes me like one of these winger/striker hybrids again. The next decent counter attacking player, but we are not doing that too much, right? I feel like if we play him as a winger he might be too slow and a just not good enough dribbler. If we play him as a stiker I am doubtful about his assertiveness and physical ability to fight his way through a crowded box. And I could also imagine he is not exactly good at playing with his back to the goal or heading.
This doesn't mean he is worse than what we have right now. He seems to be a decent finisher. Speaking spanish and being a good passer (if he actually is) may help too. Just not an extraordinary player or great fit. But he could definitely help us to reach next year's CL or even win this year's EL.

behindbrowneyes

Never had the best feeling about multimillion winter transfers. Coutinho was one too. The Brazilian had his best time at the club arguably in his first few months though.

He is definitely a gamble. I was impressed by him in some games for Spain tbh. After not having seen much of him after leaving Valencia I thought he had developed pretty well. I think he has a higher ceiling in the center, as he is a pretty good finisher and his movement is good. He doesn't really strike me as a real winger. I don't remember him beating fullbacks with skill but rather with intelligent movement between CB and FB. Imo he is using the same space as Ansu, who isn't that clear of a winger either. I'd say Ansu is technically more gifted though, so Pedro might be a better comparison for Ferran on the wing. Dembele is better at beating his man than Ferran. Dembele also hugs more of the sideline than Ferran does.
The versatility of Ferran is good in the short term, but his fate will be decided in summer. We'll see if the club makes a big investment for a striker and if Dembele leaves, which is very likely at this point. If we get a dominant striker Ferran should be good enough to deliver the ball to him from the right wing, but I don't see him being the type of winger who creates a lot of chances. At the moment we'll need him more in the center and should get an idea if he is good enough to be the starting #9 in coming years. I think Laporta wants Haaland and will do everything possible to get him. They already did everything possible to clear the books last summer to have much more cap space coming summer.

Windhook

You can never tell until you see Ferran in play. And every transfer is a gamble in a way, depends on how suitable is the given player to a club football system. We see Cristiano Ronaldo who returned to Man Utd and disrupted totally Ole's tactics because the whole thing started revolving around one single persona and not the team.

The fact we don't see a lot of megatransfers in the winter is due to most players being ineligible for the rest of the fixtures in European club competitions.

Messigician

You can never tell until you see Ferran in play. And every transfer is a gamble in a way, depends on how suitable is the given player to a club football system. We see Cristiano Ronaldo who returned to Man Utd and disrupted totally Ole's tactics because the whole thing started revolving around one single persona and not the team.

The fact we don't see a lot of megatransfers in the winter is due to most players being ineligible for the rest of the fixtures in European club competitions.

Fake news

You can play in multiple teams in European competitions since the changes down a while ago

Andresito

Staff member

That rule has changed. I think it was the season right after we signed Coutinho.

Home of Barca Fans