7 - Ferran Torres

mc_lovin

Anyway, as always in the early days when we sign a player, I'll get tons of angry replies
So, I am not expecting that you guys will be open towards Ferran's flaws right away.

The problem is when you start inventing stuff. I don't see many angry replies either. Most of us are well aware of his flaws and what type of player he is. But in a year or two we will hear from you how the forum thought we signed Ronaldinho :lol:

A few easy facts for you to grasp:
1) He has a position in our system (winger!).
2) He's probably our best #9 at the moment as well, which noone claims is optimal.
3) He's not an untested kid, so there's rightfully a bit of hope he will improve us (enough for CL).

My biggest gripe is that you sound like you never watched a full match of him though :lol:

BBZ8800

Anyway, now after watching his youtube videos and reading comments from our side, something is off.
He looks meh, yet people are very, very happy here.
Then I checked Man City forums about him from a Month ago, and opinions are 50:50.
Some are sad, some think he is very, very meh.

It seems that a lot of Man City fans think the same as what I have wrote after watching his youtube clips:
1. he is slow
2. meh as a winger
3. can't dribble too much
4. don't have any clear position
5. since being ineffective as a winger, he was moved to a false 9, where he is also meh, but he has a skill to score a goal here and there and that's it.
6. apparently he is invisible and a non-factor in majority of matches until he scores a tap in in the box.

Enough from me about this topic for now, but it seems that there WAS a strong reason why we picked even Trincao over him only 18 Months ago.
Quotes from Man City forums:

-- For some reason I’ve never really rated him, I’m not sure what he actually brings to the team. He’s not very quick, doesn’t dribble past anyone nor have any physical presence. We could do a lot better, Vlahovic or especially Haaland.

-- Completely unbothered by this I have to say. If we can get a bit more like €60m I’d say fair enough.
Still not quite sure how he fits in to our side. Not good enough out wide and generally offers little as a striker though he’s clearly a great finisher. Opens up a route to the first team for someone like Delap & it’s a nice wedge towards our summer spree…

-- I really don't rate him as highly as others seem to do.
He was a winger replacement and couldn't believe how poor he was in his orthodox position.
I mostly forget he is on the pitch, but then he will pop up with a goal.
He's a Johnny on the spot player which certainly has a value to it, but we are going to sign someone who will be our primary striker for the next five or so years and I also rate Palmer and McAtee.

-- The primary ability of any winger should be beating your fullback; a skill Ferran doesn't possess. We have to play him striker because he simply isn't good enough to be a winger in the PL

-- For someone who was said to be comfortable on either flank, I would have expected him to back himself one on one a bit more, as his pace isn't exactly lethal?

-- Will be disappointed to see him leave as I think he has the potential to be very good. It has only been just potential at this stage however and as long as the money goes towards a main striker I won't lose any sleep.

-- Would be a shame as he never really got started here - he looked promising at times, then anonymous at times. As you’d expect from a kid getting used to a new league and country.
As others have said, changing countries at 20 during Covid is a tough experience for a kid, so it’s hardly surprising he hasn’t settled.
That said, to be honest I’d rather we gave the game time to Palmer and McAtee, and if he’s just going to be sitting on the bench, he’s better off going.

-- Let’s be honest he is nowhere near good enough for our team.
On the wing (his natural position) he has been awful And up front against anyone good we play a false nine
We are better without him. Like Garcia get rid and move on.
Use the money towards a top class forward

-- Spot on for me, he's not got my bum off the seat yet for sure. Whether he ever will is pretty much mute by the looks now, and we've got Palmer to look forward too who does excite.

-- I would describe his time at the club as a bit frustrating - he doesn’t look like a top class winger, but his hat trick against Newcastle (as shit as they are) showed that he knows where the net is and he keeps banging them in for Spain against very good teams.

-- I read a forensic report into his play before he joined City. It was in a Spanish sports paper and something they do extremely well.
A thread that ran through the report was that his position could not really be identified in normal terms, i:e, not a winger, not a centre forward etc.
His touch map and positioning was quite curious. I don't think from his time before City that we bought him for any one position, rather someone who could develop.
He does a lot of things very well, but few that stand out, which doesn't usually go down well with the average fan.
His movement off the ball gets him into good positions And he is a good finisher and striker of the ball.

-- Strange player. He’s a very good finisher & quick-ish but he’s been anonymous in most of his PL appearances.

-- He's finished, he'll never be the same after his injury!
I'm a little bit meh to be honest. Didn't really do it as a winger, ok in spells but didn't set the world alight. Pushed further forward and obviously has an eye for goal and got in good positions but I can't say I'd miss him. His ceiling looks really good but he might never reach it.

-- The lads ok but I've never seen anything close to world class not even in the making, so if he goes then ok but they must pay the going rate not a penny less, also if he does go in January then we are getting a striker then also 100%

-- Kind of always felt we bought him because of the value rather than because we needed him, hence his relative lack of minutes. So if we buy for 20 and sell for 50 I got no problem with it

-- Feel exactly the same as I did when Barca where interested in Garcia, just very meh. I like Torres but him staying or leaving won’t impact our success on the pitch either way.

-- Sell him while his value is high. I honestly don’t think he’s that good especially not good enough for the premier league. spanish fans see him as home grown hence the hype for him (look how Garcia turned out).

-- I’d be happy with ?55m. ?35m profit for a player that’s hardly settled in the first team, that’s good business. I feel like Palmer is better than him anyway, so he’s not a great loss.

behindbrowneyes

One thing is for sure: Ferran is no fancy YouTube highlight player. Can be good, but can also be bad. On the contrary, Trincao really looked great on YouTube. Lots of fancy dribbles. A very-skilled dribbler with flair in his game. Technically definitely more gifted than Dembele. His lack of pace is holding Trincao back though.

Ferran on the other hand is a very direct player. Definitely not the one taking on fullbacks for fun and in every scene. He prefers to run in behind, receive the ball in dangerous positions and going for the finish. More like Pedro than the Neymar's, Sancho's etc.

His pace is above average, but not really top-tier. What speaks for him is his versatility. He can play on left wing, on right wing and in the center. I don't like the term jack-of-all-trades as I think he can at least cover two of those positions decently.

Speaking of his strenghts and weaknesses, I do think he has a higher ceiling as a #9 than on the wing. That doesn't mean he'll play there longterm. A lot of it will depend if we get a top-forward in summer or not and what happens with our question marks like Dembele, Ansu and even Memphis.

In shortterm we'll need him in the center as things stand now. We lack sharpness in front of the goal and I believe we would have done better lately if there was someone like him at the club. We'll get already an idea in the next few months if we can bank on him being our future #9 or if we should sign someone else for that.

55M + 10M is a lot and a commitment. He is still just 21 though and the best is yet to come. Not being a clear starter in a stacked City team is not a shame at that age and he has been doing quite well for Spain. The fact that Haaland or Mbappe were already great at such a young age doesn't mean every player has to score double-digit to become a great player in his mid-twenties. If I had to choose between Torres and Olmo, who would've costed a similar amount, I'd take Torres 10 out of 10 times.

BBZ8800

The problem is when you start inventing stuff. I don't see many angry replies either.

FinBarcelonafan is one of the nicest members ever.

Yet his favourite is Rakitic. Jack of all trades.

Yet, even he got provoked by my post and had to stab me with Rakitic, jack of all trades out of nowhere.
Read between the lines.

That is a basic human psychology.

1. people need hope
2. Barca currently sucks
3. new signings and La Masia kids are hope
4. Ferran is a hope
5. I shit on hope
6. people react because they need hope and they need to defend hope
7. repeat eternally until we are alive, no matter whom we sign

(I am not mad at you Fin, mate, though)

Porque

BBZ has some good points. But it is not relevant or true that we chose Trincao over Ferran a few years ago, and that we are now going for him. It is two completely different boards with completely different motivations. The only thing the same is the club name.

Besides, since then Trincao has effectively flopped until further developments, while Ferran has ascended internationally and in club football.

BarcaOG

Banned
Anyway, now after watching his youtube videos and reading comments from our side, something is off.
He looks meh, yet people are very, very happy here.
Then I checked Man City forums about him from a Month ago, and opinions are 50:50.
Some are sad, some think he is very, very meh.

It seems that a lot of Man City fans think the same as what I have wrote after watching his youtube clips:
1. he is slow
2. meh as a winger
3. can't dribble too much
4. don't have any clear position
5. since being ineffective as a winger, he was moved to a false 9, where he is also meh, but he has a skill to score a goal here and there and that's it.
6. apparently he is invisible and a non-factor in majority of matches until he scores a tap in in the box.

Enough from me about this topic for now, but it seems that there WAS a strong reason why we picked even Trincao over him only 18 Months ago.
Quotes from Man City forums:

-- For some reason I’ve never really rated him, I’m not sure what he actually brings to the team. He’s not very quick, doesn’t dribble past anyone nor have any physical presence. We could do a lot better, Vlahovic or especially Haaland.

-- Completely unbothered by this I have to say. If we can get a bit more like €60m I’d say fair enough.
Still not quite sure how he fits in to our side. Not good enough out wide and generally offers little as a striker though he’s clearly a great finisher. Opens up a route to the first team for someone like Delap & it’s a nice wedge towards our summer spree…

-- I really don't rate him as highly as others seem to do.
He was a winger replacement and couldn't believe how poor he was in his orthodox position.
I mostly forget he is on the pitch, but then he will pop up with a goal.
He's a Johnny on the spot player which certainly has a value to it, but we are going to sign someone who will be our primary striker for the next five or so years and I also rate Palmer and McAtee.

-- The primary ability of any winger should be beating your fullback; a skill Ferran doesn't possess. We have to play him striker because he simply isn't good enough to be a winger in the PL

-- For someone who was said to be comfortable on either flank, I would have expected him to back himself one on one a bit more, as his pace isn't exactly lethal?

-- Will be disappointed to see him leave as I think he has the potential to be very good. It has only been just potential at this stage however and as long as the money goes towards a main striker I won't lose any sleep.

-- Would be a shame as he never really got started here - he looked promising at times, then anonymous at times. As you’d expect from a kid getting used to a new league and country.
As others have said, changing countries at 20 during Covid is a tough experience for a kid, so it’s hardly surprising he hasn’t settled.
That said, to be honest I’d rather we gave the game time to Palmer and McAtee, and if he’s just going to be sitting on the bench, he’s better off going.

-- Let’s be honest he is nowhere near good enough for our team.
On the wing (his natural position) he has been awful And up front against anyone good we play a false nine
We are better without him. Like Garcia get rid and move on.
Use the money towards a top class forward

-- Spot on for me, he's not got my bum off the seat yet for sure. Whether he ever will is pretty much mute by the looks now, and we've got Palmer to look forward too who does excite.

-- I would describe his time at the club as a bit frustrating - he doesn’t look like a top class winger, but his hat trick against Newcastle (as shit as they are) showed that he knows where the net is and he keeps banging them in for Spain against very good teams.

-- I read a forensic report into his play before he joined City. It was in a Spanish sports paper and something they do extremely well.
A thread that ran through the report was that his position could not really be identified in normal terms, i:e, not a winger, not a centre forward etc.
His touch map and positioning was quite curious. I don't think from his time before City that we bought him for any one position, rather someone who could develop.
He does a lot of things very well, but few that stand out, which doesn't usually go down well with the average fan.
His movement off the ball gets him into good positions And he is a good finisher and striker of the ball.

-- Strange player. He’s a very good finisher & quick-ish but he’s been anonymous in most of his PL appearances.

-- He's finished, he'll never be the same after his injury!
I'm a little bit meh to be honest. Didn't really do it as a winger, ok in spells but didn't set the world alight. Pushed further forward and obviously has an eye for goal and got in good positions but I can't say I'd miss him. His ceiling looks really good but he might never reach it.

-- The lads ok but I've never seen anything close to world class not even in the making, so if he goes then ok but they must pay the going rate not a penny less, also if he does go in January then we are getting a striker then also 100%

-- Kind of always felt we bought him because of the value rather than because we needed him, hence his relative lack of minutes. So if we buy for 20 and sell for 50 I got no problem with it

-- Feel exactly the same as I did when Barca where interested in Garcia, just very meh. I like Torres but him staying or leaving won’t impact our success on the pitch either way.

-- Sell him while his value is high. I honestly don’t think he’s that good especially not good enough for the premier league. spanish fans see him as home grown hence the hype for him (look how Garcia turned out).

-- I’d be happy with ?55m. ?35m profit for a player that’s hardly settled in the first team, that’s good business. I feel like Palmer is better than him anyway, so he’s not a great loss.

bbz

mc_lovin

Yet, even he got provoked by my post and had to stab me with Rakitic, jack of all trades out of nowhere.
Read between the lines.

1. people need hope
2. Barca currently sucks
4. Ferran is a hope
5. I shit on hope

Not really an angry reply, no? But noted, you are a bit sensitive.

You 'shitting' on hope is a bit unproductive and childish, but do as you please. The funny thing is that you, the hardened survivor of some of our worst eras, seem to be the one who copes worst with our current situation :lol:

Anyway, in my book we signed 'Pedro'. For 40-50m it would have been great business, 55m+10m looks rather excessive, but maybe understandable looking at our situation. Always good to have strong off the ball players though, and maybe he can improve further.

ajnotkeith

El Chiringuito s Dario Montero, Barcelona cannot register Torres because their wage bill is 85 per cent and needs to get down to 70 per cent in order to register players.

There are two solutions to this issue according to Montero.

Firstly, Barcelona could work on new deals for Sergio Roberto and Ousmane Dembele with lower wages.

Alternatively, they would need to sell three of Samuel Umtiti, Philippe Coutinho, Luke de Jong, Yusuf Demir or Sergino Dest

Or 3.
'ULTIMA HORA'
'El FC Barcelona ha cerrado el trato CVC con LaLiga'

If we don't sell our deadwood, its coming

ajnotkeith

Read between the lines.

1. people need hope
2. Barca currently sucks
4. Ferran is a hope
5. I shit on hope

Well BBZ, can I ask, have you considered the possibility that he may turn out to be a good player? Your analysis is not useful if you don't consider both the good and the bad. For example, Ferran is very highly rated by Spain NT, something which you love to mention in the case of Riqui or others, but you didn't write a lot about that in your post.

BBZ8800

One thing is for sure: Ferran is no fancy YouTube highlight player. Can be good, but can also be bad. On the contrary, Trincao really looked great on YouTube. Lots of fancy dribbles. A very-skilled dribbler with flair in his game. Technically definitely more gifted than Dembele. His lack of pace is holding Trincao back though.

Ferran on the other hand is a very direct player. Definitely not the one taking on fullbacks for fun and in every scene. He prefers to run in behind, receive the ball in dangerous positions and going for the finish. More like Pedro than the Neymar's, Sancho's etc.

His pace is above average, but not really top-tier. What speaks for him is his versatility. He can play on left wing, on right wing and in the center. I don't like the term jack-of-all-trades as I think he can at least cover two of those positions decently.

Speaking of his strenghts and weaknesses, I do think he has a higher ceiling as a #9 than on the wing. That doesn't mean he'll play there longterm. A lot of it will depend if we get a top-forward in summer or not and what happens with our question marks like Dembele, Ansu and even Memphis.

In shortterm we'll need him in the center as things stand now. We lack sharpness in front of the goal and I believe we would have done better lately if there was someone like him at the club. We'll get already an idea in the next few months if we can bank on him being our future #9 or if we should sign someone else for that.

55M + 10M is a lot and a commitment. He is still just 21 though and the best is yet to come. Not being a clear starter in a stacked City team is not a shame at that age and he has been doing quite well for Spain. The fact that Haaland or Mbappe were already great at such a young age doesn't mean every player has to score double-digit to become a great player in his mid-twenties. If I had to choose between Torres and Olmo, who would've costed a similar amount, I'd take Torres 10 out of 10 times.

So, we bought him as a 6-Months No9 and then we'll move him to a winger position where he is slow, can't dribble, has meh technique and played bad for City?

So, not a No9, not a winger.
Just Barca things, as always.

mc_lovin

So, we bought him as a 6-Months No9 and then we'll move him to a winger position where he is slow, can't dribble, has meh technique and played bad for City?

So, not a No9, not a winger.
Just Barca things, as always.

He's obviously a winger. We can talk whether he's good enough or not, but he's a freaking winger. Unlike let's say Griezmann.

BBZ8800

Well BBZ, can I ask, have you considered the possibility that he may turn out to be a good player? Your analysis is not useful if you don't consider both the good and the bad. For example, Ferran is very highly rated by Spain NT, something which you love to mention in the case of Riqui or others, but you didn't write a lot about that in your post.

About Riqui, it works like this:
1. if 4-5 NT coaches don't rate you, that is a problem.
There must be a reason.
2. about Torres, he plays for NT team, so he is surely way better than Riki.
On the other hand, NT football is way weaker than club football because those players play 6-10 matches per season and there is no chemistry, tactics are chaotic, players are often tired on World cups and Euros, so it is easy to shine for a random player, especially if he is young or if he hasn't played too much in that season, compared to guys who play 50-70 matches for 10 years in a row.
El Hadji Diouf and James Rodriguez had good 3-4 matches on world cups and had shitty club careers after that.
So, about NT teams vs clubs, I would rate a form and stats from club football as way more important than anything from a random NT game.

About Ferran's club career till now, we know:
1. pre-City, we picked Trincao over him
2. he moved to City, hasn't shown absolutely anything as a winger = we signed him for 50m

I said that I will stop long time ago. So, cheers

Windhook

About Riqui, it works like this:
1. if 4-5 NT coaches don't rate you, that is a problem.
There must be a reason.

Only a handful of players have the privilege to be called to NT when they are not playing for their club. Riqui is not one of them as he never established himself at Barca. All managers, except for the short stint Setien, rated him poorly.

Porque

About Ferran's club career till now, we know:
1. pre-City, we picked Trincao over him
2. he moved to City, hasn't shown absolutely anything as a winger = we signed him for 50m

I said that I will stop long time ago. So, cheers

On the other hand, City picked Ferran over Trincao.

Home of Barca Fans