7 - Ferran Torres

khaled_a_d

Have any wide players at Barca bar Messi and Neymar scored 30 goals in season?

Likes of Pedro averaged about 15 and scored over 20 twice. Villa did it once in his x3 seasons.

Think only Ronaldinho came close with 26 goals.
Not sure there is actually a winger who scored 30 goals a season before that era anyway.
Actually, don't think it is common outside Barca, Salah did it but the likes of Hazard, Mane, Robben, Ribery & Bale never had 30 goals in any season.
Lowering the bar to 20-25 seems far more realistic

BBZ8800

Not sure there is actually a winger who scored 30 goals a season before that era anyway.
Actually, don't think it is common outside Barca, Salah did it but the likes of Hazard, Mane, Robben, Ribery & Bale never had 30 goals in any season.

Henry, Stoichkov, Pedro had seasons with around 25 goals for Barca.

Iniesta Ultra

The GOAT formation led by Messi being cocky is irrelevant for our dna. Masterpieces don't need self-aggrandizement the work speaks for itself. Other side of coin excessive denigration of self and others as we've witnessed from Torres can only mean he can't handle the task of being a forward Barca needs. Sure it's embarrassing to watch unfortunately we've grown accustomed to being embarrassed recent years but there's no room for childish psychology, hate to say it but it's a non-starter, regardless how well he masks his foundational disconnect with superficial 'sophistication'.

ajnotkeith

Those guys you named had a ton of assists and their goals came at important times too. There was a point where Bale was scoring and assisting every game in his first seasons in LaLiga.

For Ferran 15-20 is fair with most of them coming in the league and CL/EL, not hat tricks against Ibiza like Griezmann. He should also make about 10-15 assists. He isn't the level of those guys you named so lowered expectations are more fair.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Those guys you named had a ton of assists and their goals came at important times too. There was a point where Bale was scoring and assisting every game in his first seasons in LaLiga.

For Ferran 15-20 is fair with most of them coming in the league and CL/EL, not hat tricks against Ibiza like Griezmann. He should also make about 10-15 assists. He isn't the level of those guys you named so lowered expectations are more fair.

Those players also played in far better teams than Ferran Torres is also so works both ways.

What players for Barca were getting 15-20 goals and 10-15 assists a season from out wide?

ajnotkeith

Those players also played in far better teams than Ferran Torres is also so works both ways.

What players for Barca were getting 15-20 goals and 10-15 assists a season from out wide?

I don't think the comparison with Pedro is correct because they are playing really different roles. Ferran will probably be relied on to score a lot of goals and assist whereas in that time there was M(S)N scoring most of the goals I would also add that despite our struggles we do have a very good midfield and I think he'll come into plenty of chances so it is up to him to deliver.

To be more recent, Griezmann who is mostly considered a flop had around those numbers in his last season here (35 ga I think?) so I would expect Ferran to get around that as well, with the improvement on Griezmann being if most of those can come in the main competitions.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

I don't think the comparison with Pedro is correct because they are playing really different roles. Ferran will probably be relied on to score a lot of goals and assist whereas in that time there was MSN scoring most of the goals. I would also add that despite our struggles we do have a very good midfield and I think he'll come into plenty of chances so it is up to him to deliver.

To be more recent, Griezmann who is mostly considered a flop had around those numbers in his last season here (35 ga I think?) so I would expect Ferran to get around that as well, with the improvement on Griezmann being if most of those can come in the main competitions.

Pedro was relied on to score and get assists so it is a fair comparison.

Similar in terms of movement and working hard to open game up and Pedro was in a better team.

Griezmanns price plays a part in him being seen as a flop.

Pedro is fairest comparison and levelled off with him being in far better team.

MSN were not even a thing with Pedro. This is before they became top front three in world and Pedro was vital part of Barcas attack.

khaled_a_d

I think Griezmann numbers will be ok for Ferran, he costs far less.
As long as he can fir with our system and not feel outlier, 15-20 goal and 7-10 assists will be acceptable.

ajnotkeith

Pedro was relied on to score and get assists so it is a fair comparison.

Similar in terms of movement and working hard to open game up and Pedro was in a better team.

Griezmanns price plays a part in him being seen as a flop.

Pedro is fairest comparison and levelled off with him being in far better team.

MSN were not even a thing with Pedro. This is before they became top front three in world and Pedro was vital part of Barcas attack.

It's hard to say because for so many years it has been Messi and Neymar and later Suarez scoring and assisting many goals, with most other attackers being peripheral, so other than guys like Villa there is nobody to compare Ferran to. We have never been in this situation before.

For Ferran to be a FLOP it would be under 20g&a
To be passable, around 25
Good signing = 30+

Injuries permitting.

JamDav1982

Pedro before even Neymar arrived played four seasons as starting attacking player for Barca and averaged 13 goals and 9 assists across league and CL.

Not sure how expecting 15-20 goals and 10-15 assists a season mainly in league and CL can be seen as lowering expectations.

Pedro is about closest player Barca have had to compare in terms of what boths strengths.

Not sure why you persist on mentioning MSN. Barca existed before them.

ajnotkeith

Pedro before even Neymar arrived played four seasons as starting attacking player for Barca and averaged 13 goals and 9 assists across league and CL.

Not sure how expecting 15-20 goals and 10-15 assists a season mainly in league and CL can be seen as lowering expectations.

Pedro is about closest player Barca have had to compare in terms of what boths strengths.

Not sure why you persist on mentioning MSN. Barca existed before them.

If it's clear Ferran is working hard for the team and opening the game up despite having lower GA than expected then he can still be a successful signing.

But not at all sure if that's actually going to be the case. He is new and might take time to settle in but just watching him so far I don't see any exceptional workrate or defensive contribution. He tends to go missing sometimes.

He seems like a player to me that will be judged off their goals and assists,as he doesn't contribute in many aspects of the game and can't really take a man on.

Also must consider that he may play games at CF and winger.

JamDav1982

If it's clear Ferran is working hard for the team and opening the game up despite having lower GA than expected then he can still be a successful signing.

But not at all sure if that's actually going to be the case. He is new and might take time to settle in but just watching him so far I don't see any exceptional workrate or defensive contribution. He tends to go missing sometimes.

He seems like a player to me that will be judged off their goals and assists,as he doesn't contribute in many aspects of the game and can't really take a man on.

Also must consider that he may play games at CF and winger.

As I said you are more or less describing Pedro.

Their strengths are on face of it similar bar Torres maybe playing CF a bit more now but on flip side he is not playing with best player ever and on front of best midfield ever.

jamrock

Pedro is a pretty fair comparison, but his price will mean people expect a more, but fair comparison.

Thing is if fati comes back & we sign a proper CF, (even though I believe that's fati's position long term) I really don't see a place for Torres, since he struggles more play off the right, plus I would want someone with more pace & dribbling ability on that side.

Torres is basically fati, but fati despite missing so much football & being younger is already a much better player, honestly didn't really get the signing of him long term, unless they know we have zero shot of getting haaland so they see fati as the solution long term as CF.

But Pedri is a fair comparison.

JamDav1982

Pedro is a pretty fair comparison, but his price will mean people expect a more, but fair comparison.

Thing is if fati comes back & we sign a proper CF, (even though I believe that's fati's position long term) I really don't see a place for Torres, since he struggles more play off the right, plus I would want someone with more pace & dribbling ability on that side.

Torres is basically fati, but fati despite missing so much football & being younger is already a much better player, honestly didn't really get the signing of him long term, unless they know we have zero shot of getting haaland so they see fati as the solution long term as CF.

But Pedri is a fair comparison.

Fucking hard to write Pedro without typing Pedri.

Had to edited every comment as couldnt avoid doing it.

Home of Barca Fans