7 - Philippe Coutinho - V1

Arizona Scott

We had Iniesta last season. Now the pressure is on Cou to take over his mantle and he's showing he can't handle it. How long should we give him before we give up on him and his market value doesn't erode to the point of us taking a huge L? We dwindled too much before in selling players who showed signs that they weren't upto the task.

Plus if we need to get De Ligt/Jovic we need to raise the money as well. It's upto Cou to redeem himself and show he belongs here. He has ample time till the end of the season to show it. Else he should be sold.

Yeah Iniesta was on the field for the blotch of a Roma match, Coutinho wasn't.
Not saying Iniesta was the core problem but his play that particular day and most the 2nd half of last year was not to his standards.

Def the the last 2 months of this season are important to Coutinho and the team, though it may not be decisive in what happens in our offseason. If it is like most of the last 6 weeks--solid performances and good interplay with Messi and Suarez--not like we have to sell and certainly not unless a really great offer came in from the EPL or PSG.

Last edited:

BarçaBarça

It is not very smart to get blocked on his price, we have already paid it, so it is a sunk cost. Yes he was a transfer record for us, but the money is paid so for the good of our team/club we should only look at our options now. That means: Can he be a helpful and good player for us or should we sell him for what we can get (e.g. 100M€)?

In my opinion it doesn't matter if we bought him for 60M or 160M, what matters is what we can get for him and how good he can be for the team. Considering his previous level at Liverpool and his performances for us, I wouldn't rule him out at all. I would gladly take another season with him, it is actually likely that he will improve and help the team win trophies.

All that said, if we were in a situation where we could get an one and only striker like Mbappe only if we sold Coutinho, of course we should sell, but we are not in that situation right now.

Respekt_III

Anti-everything
The mental gymnastics going on here is amazing.
sunk cost? lol look up the definition before you use the term, we can recover a decent amount of his fee if we are to sell.

Justifying he should stay by stating he's 'helping the the team' is absolutely absurd without context. Recovering a decent amount of the cost will enable us to potentially get players that contribute substantially more to the team then he will ever be able to.

Andresito

Staff member
With Vidal suspended and Arthur in need of rest, are we going to see Coutinho in midfield with Rakitic and Busquets tomorrow?

raki

Huge disappointment with him.
Valverde does not play him as a CM and he´s not suited for a winger role in barça system. I prefer Malcom, i trully do. Phil lacks speed, pace, drible skills and mental toughness. With Frenkie + Alena + Busi+ Rakitic+Vidal+Arthur

what use will Coutinho get? Take the L and sell him.

booge

hes good enough to play for madrid. thats the only compliment i can give him. he might even fit their shit style.

Raketa10

He is playing good problem is you guys expect "out of this world" stuff from him. If he was paid 60 mil comments would have been totally different. He was without a doubt our best player in the first half.

Home of Barca Fans