8 - Pedri

JamDav1982

Double pivot is a bad idea. We need to go back the 4-3-3 and iron out the players who are physically past it. We play Getafe next, this match is a great idea to be starting players like Demir, Nico, Gavi or Puig (unlikely, but still).

No it is a viable idea and one that can help a lot of the issues in team.

Roberto should start next game in midfield but it will be him Busi and FDJ.

serghei

No it is a viable idea and one that can help a lot of the issues in team.

Roberto should start next game in midfield but it will be him Busi and FDJ.

Please, we barely played this system in the last 20 years. Like probably 10 times max. There's a reason for that.

mc_lovin

absolutely ridiculous to imply that Iniesta had a 'support role'. he wasn't some Ozil drifter with sporadic dribble tours and through balls. he was absolutely instrumental in maintaining possession, cooling off the game as soon as it heated up. he was there for 90 minutes right in the engine room.

Relatively to Xavi? Absolutely. Iniesta played more between the lines and had fewer touches. 'Support role' sounds too degrading though. Both roles in midfield are needed.

JamDav1982

Please, we barely played this system in the last 20 years. Like probably 10 times max. There's a reason for that.

Irrelevant. You play the system that suits best and suits the players.

Lets point to seasons like last when had similar players or yesterday as 'evidence' is not a good look.

There is no sole DM at Barca of the quality needed at moment.

FDJ is Barcas best player and it may well be his best position and it can be fluid anyway when he plays it.. not two DMs that sit all the time as has been for many times in past. All it is is a starting position for structure of the team.

serghei

Our midfield yesterday:

Frenkie 1,2 touches pr. minute.
Busquets 0,9 touches pr. minute.
Pedri 0,7 touches pr. minute.

yes, he's tired but this is the type of player he is. likes to hang back and wait his turn. frenkie goes and makes it his turn. that's the difference.

doesn't matter how brilliant you are on the ball when you're not touching it.

Totally correct. His movement is affected by the fact that he is without a doubt a very slow player. Slow players struggle in high-paced games where pressure is intense. They can struggle to keep up with the tempo and show up for the ball. Which is exactly what Pedri did.

Whether or not this is his real speed, or he is tired because he played non-stop and needs a break is anyones' guess.

vegitot

Pedri playing deeper last season had some of his best games and players are adatable.

In terms of what team currently needs he is going to struggle to play higher up park and way he did with Spain.

The role Lucho gives him is exactly same as he tried to play in first two games and it barely worked.

He barely has the same role as he had with Spain. A role that allows him to carry the ball and lauch the pass to break the defense. With Barca he usually plays quite deep, mostly as a support role to others around him

mc_lovin

convenient cop out, isn't it? doesn't matter how you're positioning yourself as a midfiedler - if you go 10-15 minutes without touching the ball while your team is struggling, then you're doing something wrong.

also, i'd be willing to excuse it if he actually delivered something from that alleged advance positioning tactic but the kid had 0 key passes and 0 shots.

I think your expectations are way off (for now). His positioning is the correct one for me, but he gets outmuscled/isolated too much. Hence having spells of not touching the ball. But that's down to his teenage body (I suppose). He's still only 18.

JamDav1982

He barely has the same role as he had with Spain. A role that allows him to carry the ball and lauch the pass to break the defense. With Barca he usually plays quite deep, mostly as a support role to others around him

He has virtually the exact same role as with spain.

Posted towards the left trying to play higher up and between lines.

The difference is teams sat off Spain as they had some pace up top and they were higher up the park. Which is not happening in this Barca.

The role for Spain is no different other than team around him not being able to support it.

serghei

I think your expectations are way off (for now). His positioning is the correct one for me, but he gets outmuscled/isolated too much. Hence having spells of not touching the ball. But that's down to his teenage body (I suppose). He's still only 18.

Don't think he gets outmuscled that much. I think he has issues in getting in possession. He hides too much. Both him and Busi. It was very visible last night. When we tried to get the ball out from defense, the midfielders just didn't deliver. Only De Jong proved his class.

JamDav1982

Don't think he gets outmuscled that much. I think he has issues in getting in possession. He hides too much. Both him and Busi. It was very visible last night. When we tried to get the ball out from defense, the midfielders just didn't deliver. Only De Jong proved his class.

Busi is hiding as he is in the area should be looking for ball but Pedri it looks as if they are asking him to play higher up and wait for ball more in between the lines.

Doesnt look at all like they are asking him to come take ball from defence other than if Alba is looking to play ball forward early.

vegitot

He has virtually the exact same role as with spain.

Posted towards the left trying to play higher up and between lines.

The difference is teams sat off Spain as they had some pace up top and they were higher up the park. Which is not happening in this Barca.

The role for Spain is no different other than team around him not being able to support it.

You already explain it with the last line why he doesn't play the role he plays with Spain.

serghei

Busi is hiding as he is in the area should be looking for ball but Pedri it looks as if they are asking him to play higher up and wait for ball more in between the lines.

Doesnt look at all like they are asking him to come take ball from defence other than if Alba is looking to play ball forward early.

When the press is this intense, you need multiple midfielders to show up for the ball. Not just one lol. All 3 need to do it. Not stand up higher because then the ball will never get to them.

If you're right and Koeman doesn't understand this... that's actually the worst scenario.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

You already explain it with the last line why he doesn't play the role he plays with Spain.

No he is being set up to play the same role but isnt working due to differences in the teams.

That is the point.

Being set up in same role Lucho gives him. There is not some idea Lucho uses him in a different way that would work as he does with Spain.

Home of Barca Fans