8 - Pedri

soul24rage

He is so overrated it hurts. And now let's see how many will be furious because of what i've said.

Depends on what you're rating Pedri to.

If it's to one of the best midfielders in the world, then yes he's overrated

If it's to one of the best young midfielders in the world, then he's rated perfectly and not overrated at all.

Zidane82

He has highest those shooting sequences in Euro with Morata, Oyazabal in front of him.
7.86 - Spain amassed an expected goals (xG) total of 7.86 from the open play sequences that Pedri was involved in at EURO 2020; the highest total of any player at the tournament. Blessed. #ESP #EURO2020 https://t.co/HD1x4P1e6z

For comparision, Iniesta in 14/15 Liga with MSN in front he only had 20 key passes. Pedri last season in Liga had 37 with Messi, Griezmann, Braithwaite in front. Using Busitheking method, Pedri is better.
He?s clearly a special talent so I am amazed so many do not rate him ..

Plus he has just turned 18 ...

SmilerBam

Depends on what you're rating Pedri to.

If it's to one of the best midfielders in the world, then yes he's overrated

If it's to one of the best young midfielders in the world, then he's rated perfectly and not overrated at all.

He shows promise, but i don't think he'll ever be one the very best in the world. I don't think he will ever reach the footsteps of Iniesta for example. I don t even know how to classify him. He is a tidy player, great stamina, but his impact is low in key assists and key dribbles. I just don't see in him that incredible quality that other see.

malvolio

He is so overrated it hurts. And now let's see how many will be furious because of what i've said.

kind of seemed to me that way in the second part of last season. but i brushed it off as inexperience and fatigue.

and i thought he disappeared in tough moments. we'll have to wait and see.

soul24rage

He shows promise, but i don't think he'll ever be one the very best in the world. I don't think he will ever reach the footsteps of Iniesta for example. I don t even know how to classify him. He is a tidy player, great stamina, but his impact is low in key assists and key dribbles. I just don't see in him that incredible quality that other see.

Iniesta is arguably the GOAT in his position so it's really unfair to expect something like that from Pedri.

I would see how Pedri performs at the end of this season.

fergus90

I agree with soul24rage to be honest, it depends as to what metric you are rating him against. As a youngster he looks special and has the potential to develop into a fantastic player especially how he plays at 18.

If we are comparing with the current worlds best, then yes he is nowhere near there yet. I don't think the constant Iniesta stat comparisons help much in that aspect either as it just gets used as a tool to criticise him against.

Realistically it may be 4-5 years until we see a finished article. It also depends on what coaches he has as well of course.

JamDav1982

I agree with soul24rage to be honest, it depends as to what metric you are rating him against. As a youngster he looks special and has the potential to develop into a fantastic player especially how he plays at 18.

If we are comparing with the current worlds best, then yes he is nowhere near there yet. I don't think the constant Iniesta stat comparisons help much in that aspect either as it just gets used as a tool to criticise him against.

Who is comparing him to the worlds best though?

Cant just make that up and then say he is over rated because of it surely.

Still has a lot to learn and for me he would be infiitely more effective with better than Busi behind him and a forward line with pace that can allow him options on ball and to take ball in final third.

fergus90

Who is comparing him to the worlds best though?

Cant just make that up and then say he is over rated because of it.

Still has a lot to learn and for me he would be infiitely more effective with better than Busi behind him and a forward line with pace that can allow him options on ball and to take ball in final third.

No one is, I'm saying hypothetically if he was to be compared with the best then yes it's a step to far and that's the only way an 'overrated' label could be placed on him. Judge him on what he is, an 18 year old learning his trade.

JamDav1982

No one is, I'm saying hypothetically if he was to be compared with the best then yes it's a step to far and that's the only way an 'overrated' label could be placed on him. Judge him on what he is, an 18 year old learning his trade.

SmileBam does it all the time.

Argues against things that are not even being said.

Depay started well so he is no longer focus of him claiming others are holiding up Depay as a 'superstar' or 'will replace Messi'.

Now its on to Pedri.

BBZ8800

Realistically it may be 4-5 years until we see a finished article. It also depends on what coaches he has as well of course.

I think that he will end closer to Isco than Iniesta.

Further, the same as how we often say: players like Coutinho or Ozil don't have a clear position in a modern football, I still don't understand what is Pedri's position?

1. he is slow, never shoots, has bad attacking instincts for an "8"
2. for a Xavi's type of a CM, he doesn't move enough of the ball, he is involved too little (even Arthur was a more suitable Xavi than him), he is slow and he is not a stamina merchant needed for a current era, plus his defending is questionable
3. a pivot: too weak, slow, questionable defensively, doesn't have robotic stamina

He is currently overrated because as a 18 years old, he played for Barca, yet we only had 3 capable midfielders.
Cou was injured, Puig sucks, Pjanic is retired.
He played in a team without midfielders.
And then for Spain, he was a starter for Spain, for Lucho, who is some sort of a hidden Catalonian agent, who has a weird agenda against Madrid, hasn't called a single player from RM, plays with a NT consisted of Barcelona B, and plays Eric, Busquets and Pedri as starters.
On top of everything, Spain dominated a lot but in the end had 1 win over 90 minutes in the hole tournament.

I really don't want to hate on Pedri (unlike Riki, for example) cause he is a nice player.
But he is overrated massively lately.
1. he doesn't have a clear position
2. and he possesses some of those famouse "deadly traits" like horrible attacking DNA, weakish stamina, weakish defending, which makes him somewhat good for all position, but not a master for any of positions.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

And people already act as if we should build a midfield around him and Frenkie.
But AGAIN, how?
What is Frenkie's position and what is Pedri's position?

Homestly NONE of them has a clear position in 433.
Frenkie is okish as a CM, but far from perfect.
Pedri is good at all positions, but not perfect on any of them.
And considering his deadly attacking, defending and physical flaws, it is extremely hadr to expect that he will turn into something like new Iniesta.

For the end, I think that a user Vegitot mentioned Iniesta and number of shooting sequences.
This is Iniesta's debut, how many shooting sequences he created in that match?
Also, look at Iniesta's attacking instincts. Even though he was miles from being a killer and a scorer, he possessed some basic instincts to open, run, shoot, make himself available in the box for scoring.
When Pedri is in similar positions, he makes a pass and then STOPS (he is not following the action anymore in terms of making himself available for scoring later in that action). He often acts as the action ended for him once when he made the pass:

serghei

If you aren't involved in the game as a midfielder, then that's on you.

The coach gives instructions and those are based on certain presuppositions. Those presuppositions might be miscalculated or they might change. When they do, are you expecting the coach to stop the game and call for a time-out to alter his instructions?

If you're aren't available to get the ball, and you can see that help is clearly needed in other places, then you change it up. I think that's well within the minimum amount of independent thinking that any footballer is expected to do.

It is a mix of both. Pedri lacks in this area as a player no doubt (being able to receive the ball when pressed). Any slow player suffers here because his lack of speed doesn't allow him to ditch markers easily. Pedri is generally slow and lethargic here, i.e., meaning it's pretty easy to mark him out. It's one of the areas where he has to improve a lot in the future. Or else, he'll be a luxury player that will more or less disappear against pressing sides (and all top sides now are good at pressing minus 1 or 2), and will generally dictate play when he's allowed to, meaning vs Granada, Getafe and such.

And Koeman is pretty poor at getting his midfield dynamic right. He is a very direct manager that just expects the players to pass it around without him doing much tactically to make it happen. Also, his capacity to adapt in-game to a situation is close to zero.

Just now I'm watching Arsenal vs Chelsea. Whenever Arsenal press, there are 4-5 Chelsea players simultaneously adjusting their position in relation to the ball carrier. This duty goes all the way up to the likes of Mount. At Barca, there's 2 players max. who make any moves, while the rest stand around waiting for the ball to land to their feet :lol:, not even that at times. Abysmal compared to this tactical level that we see from Tuchel, Klopp etc.

Last edited:

SmilerBam

SmileBam does it all the time.

Argues against things that are not even being said.

Depay started well so he is no longer focus of him claiming others are holiding up Depay as a 'superstar' or 'will replace Messi'.

Now its on to Pedri.

I m not saying on here, although i saw some posts that say he'll be one of the worlds best midfielder. I don t think he'll reach that step. Also the journos here especially cream themselves if they see a nice pass by him...i feel it's just a general consensus that he is such a special talent. For me, he is not. And Depay? I never said he's shit, i said it is pretty damning that he is our best attacker, and even if he started well, you ll see he doesn't have the consistency to be the main star attacker of a club like FC Barcelona. It's that pretty clear for you, or do i have to design it in a special language so you can understand it?

SmilerBam

kind of seemed to me that way in the second part of last season. but i brushed it off as inexperience and fatigue.

and i thought he disappeared in tough moments. we'll have to wait and see.

Yes, of course we have to see. I m pretty sure he'll never reach the potential that others bestow on him, but maybe i ll be wrong. Hopefully, i will.

JamDav1982

I m not saying on here, although i saw some posts that say he'll be one of the worlds best midfielder. I don t think he'll reach that step. Also the journos here especially cream themselves if they see a nice pass by him...i feel it's just a general consensus that he is such a special talent. For me, he is not. And Depay? I never said he's shit, i said it is pretty damning that he is our best attacker, and even if he started well, you ll see he doesn't have the consistency to be the main star attacker of a club like FC Barcelona. It's that pretty clear for you, or do i have to design it in a special language so you can understand it?

No for Depay you did same as doing now for Pedri.

Making up what had been said about him and using it to argue against anyone who said what he brings in positive way or how good a signing he may turn out.

Now you are changing it so nothing to be special language required. From Depay is over rated, not needed and mocking the signing to 'he is Barcas best attacker'.

Argue against shit that is not even being said then claim some cunt on twitter once said it or some nonsense.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans