9 - Luis Suárez - v1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamDav1982

You're wrong. Sorry.

At the time of cantona, a lot of awful tackles were tolerated while it's not the case anymore. It's not me who said it, it's Cantona himself.

Also, at least here in the french league, the sanctions also evolved.

Kurt Zouma got 10 matches for an horrible tackle last season. When the medias compared with 10 years ago, he would have got less when they compared with older cases.

Not mentioned Cantona once and not tackling about dangerous tackles either.

Cantona got a huge ban that I doubt has been repeated since in a top league so not that much has changed.

F

Flavia

What has changed in 8 years since Zidane ban to make it fair then and not now though?

How else can we compare if people are being treated fairly without looking at the past?

Internet changed everything. Media exposure now is huge. 8 years makes a immense difference. And I remember people in uproar against zidane. He was hated here in brazil and maybe it was the reason, but if that final happened in this years' wc, you'd see him getting a similar treatment to what Suarez is getting now.

And if you look back in the past of football, violence was much more spread, as the players weren't under so many camera lenses all the time. Suarez bites wouldn't make headlines, as it'd be difficult to spot. Looking at the past is not the right way to measure things. You have to see the context of the present. So many things we consider bad now were tolerated in the past...

JamDav1982

Internet changed everything. Media exposure now is huge. 8 years makes a immense difference. And I remember people in uproar against zidane. He was hated here in brazil and maybe it was the reason, but if that final happened in this years' wc, you'd see him getting a similar treatment to what Suarez is getting now.

And if you look back in the past of football, violence was much more spread, as the players weren't under such camera lenses all the time. Suarez bites wouldn't make headlines, as it'd be difficult to spot. Looking at the past is not the right way to measure things. You have to see the context of the present. So many things we consider bad now were tolerated in the past...

Do you think going forward all players will be treated in same way Suarez has been?

The media should have NOTHING to do with the ban Suarez gets. Which was one of my original points.

I am not talking about what players have gotten away with it past. I am talking about situations where players have been caught doing worse than Suarez or those that have been repeat offenders.

FIFA never came out and stated any law change or how they would be approaching players history etc. They have totally changed the rule book on on instant to keep the media happy and take pressure off.

Bertus

And if you look back in the past of football, violence was much more spread, as the players weren't under such camera lenses all the time. Suarez bites wouldn't make headlines, as it'd be difficult to spot. Looking at the past is not the right way to measure things. You have to see the context of the present. So many things we consider bad now were tolerated in the past...

Same with politicians and their bad things.

At least here, internet and smartphone changed a lot of things.

Many things went under the radar in the past while now, a lot of the bad things they do make headline.

Hollande learned it when he tried to have a lovelife like Mitterrand. The later could hide easily that he was having orgies, but Hollande got spotted and it was everywhere.

That won't make the politicians 100% clean, but it's good that now they feel threatened and watched.

I think sportsmen (most of them) think the same. They are way more watched and criticized than in the past.

Some don't care tho, suarez for example, sadly.

ammarfcb

ze special one
That's still way too much for a player we don't need... That money could be put to better use...

If you think 65m is too much for suarez then you've never seen suarez play.

No ppneis givin him away for 65m anyway

I still think any bid for barca would be met with a plus 10 from real. Add in di maria or sanchez and ill yhink about it

JamDav1982

Same with politicians and their bad things.

At least here, internet and smartphone changed a lot of things.

Many things went under the radar in the past while now, a lot of the bad things they do make headline.

Hollande learned it when he tried to have a lovelife like Mitterrand. The later could hide easily that he was having orgies, but Hollande got spotted and it was everywhere.

That won't make the politicians 100% clean, but it's good that now they feel threatened and watched.

I think sportsmen (most of them) think the same. They are way more watched and criticized than in the past.

Things going under the radar in the past is irrelevant. We are discussing examples where players were caught.

The argument is totally changing.

Ghosting

And if you look back in the past of football, violence was much more spread, as the players weren't under so many camera lenses all the time. Suarez bites wouldn't make headlines, as it'd be difficult to spot. Looking at the past is not the right way to measure things. You have to see the context of the present. So many things we consider bad now were tolerated in the past...

Indeed, honestly all i remember from that time was people actually found it funny just cos it was a final, he got sent off it was his last game, it was like he has punished himself with his stupidity and he will be remembered as the guy who headbutted someone in a final.

Perhaps if Suarez did this in a later game and was sent off and it lost Uruguay the game, there would have been less calls for a long ban and more amusement, you are gonna say it shouldn't matter the circumstances etc, which it shouldn't but it does.

JamDav1982

Indeed, honestly all i remember from that time was people actually found it funny just cos it was a final, he got sent off it was his last game, it was like he has punished himself with his stupidity and he will be remembered as the guy who headbutted someone in a final.

Perhaps if Suarez did this in a later game and was sent off and it lost Uruguay the game, there would have been less calls for a long ban and more amusement, you are gonna say it shouldn't matter the circumstances etc, which it shouldn't but it does.

Do you think FIFA will repeat these type of bans going forward? The type given to Suarez.

Will they punish people of it is an act the player is a repeat offender at and expand to club football?

NotInHere

It will be the day when people stop talking about Suarez this much, its the WC for godsake and every sports channel I tune in to is talking about his incident.

F

Flavia

Do you think going forward all players will be treated in same way Suarez has been?

The media should have NOTHING to do with the ban Suarez gets. Which was one of my original points.

I am not talking about what players have gotten away with it past. I am talking about situations where players have been caught doing worse than Suarez or those that have been repeat offenders.

FIFA never came out and stated any law change or how they would be approaching players history etc. They have totally changed the rule book on on instant to keep the media happy and take pressure off.

Going fowrard, it should be. Fifa needs to get rid of Blatter, and need to have clear rules against violence. Media pressure now will always happen. I see no way to change that.

And in the past, players got lighter sanctions because things were different. Leonardo breaking a skull today wouldn't warrant him only 4 games. Back then, 20 years ago, it seemed fair. That's what you don't seem to understand. Things have changed.

Bertus

Do you think FIFA will repeat these type of bans going forward? The type given to Suarez.

Will they punish people of it is an act the player is a repeat offender at and expand to club football?

Yes i do.

Maybe i'll be wrong, but i think they will, and my personal opinion is that what suarez got is a good sanction.

Actually i would have preferred a 6 months ban.

Actually i hope the sanctions will get even harsher than what suarez got.

Ghosting

Well when Suarez does it again I'm sure they will do the ban again :p

But yeah they should, will they? I don't know and that is problem if in the future someone goes out and repeat offends with violent conduct and they don't do this type of ban then that is where we can all hate on FIFA. However it would have to happen in a major tournament, otherwise the FA responsible would just do what they want.

JamDav1982

Going fowrard, it should be. Fifa needs to get rid of Blatter, and need to have clear rules against violence. Media pressure now will always happen. I see no way to change that.

And in the past, players got lighter sanctions because things were different. Leonardo breaking a skull today wouldn't warrant him only 4 games. Back then, 20 years ago, it seemed fair. That's what you don't seem to understand. Things have changed.

I agree there needs to be clearer rules. If there was and Suarez falls foul of them fair enough he cant complain. But to make up rules as they go along and to base some consideration on what the media want to see happen? Thats not fair and not the correct way to do things for me.

F

Flavia

I agree there needs to be clearer rules. If there was and Suarez falls foul of them fair enough he cant complain. But to make up rules as they go along and to base some consideration on what the media want to see happen? Thats not fair and not the correct way to do things for me.

With that I agree. They can't make up rules and punishments as they happen. Rules need to be more specific, the infractions and the sanctions.

DennyCrane

Now it's getting interesting, as FIFPro is involved now as well, especially concerning the 4 month administrative football ban:

Having reviewed the full report of the FIFA Disciplinary Committee, FIFPro is aware of the positions taken by the respective parties in the case relating to Luis Suarez.

FIFPro stands by the principle of fair play and the importance of upholding the duty of care each player owes his fellow professional. FIFPro reminds all players it represents across the world of the responsibility they carry as role models, a privilege which is magnified at World Cup level.

With his case subject to appeal, Luis Suarez has the right to due process. FIFPro believes all affected parties may benefit with time to remove the emotion, reflect and re-establish the facts in a calm and considered setting.

This is a very serious matter, as reflected by the sanctions imposed by FIFA's Disciplinary Committee. The sanction will be reviewed and FIFA will have to focus especially on the accumulation of sanctions including a four-month ban from all football activity.

The fact that Suarez is prohibited from working for a long period must be addressed as it directly infringes his right to work. Also the fact that Liverpool FC is affected needs to be an important issue.

Luis Suarez should receive all the support he needs to deal with any off-field issues he may be experiencing at this time. This means that the focus should be on the rehabilitation and serious treatment of the player. FIFPro believes that treatment must be a part of any sanction.

Luis Suarez deserves all the support he needs including legal support in the appeal case in order to achieve a reduction of the sanctions.

All affected parties will benefit from a well-advised decision especially when done in the interests of ensuring that he makes a successful return to the game.

http://www.fifpro.org/suarez-fair-solution-is-still-possible.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans