9 - Luis Suárez - v1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icarium

Lifestealer
It would be hilarious if he does it again though. But I hope he is not lying and ready to accept treatment.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Tapatalk

i_bleed_blaugrana

He only played that against 2 teams who (unsuccessfully) played possession football with a high line. The 4-4-2 is to sit back, cede possession, and then strike on the counter. It worked because we were shit and Pep played Schweinsteiger and Kroos as his double pivot.

The thing about that 4-4-2 however is that it was really made to suit Cristiano in particular. He more often than not played as part of the 2 instead the LM of the MF 4 behind Benz. It was the freedom he got in that role is what worked so well for Madrid, with him able to float out wide and link-up with Di Maria or attack the space left behind Benz in the box. If they push Ronaldo back to make room for Falcao, it will severely compromise the defensive stability of the formation, particularly if he doesn't track back and drop deep. Bale and Di Maria's defensive work rate made that work so well.

Granted, Pep made a huge mistake in that 2nd leg in not having a natural destroyer in the center that made that game more one sided than it should have been but the 4-4-2 is making a comeback. If Madrid get the other Colombian in James over Falcao and just switched Ronaldo to a striker, that would work more for them.

Galning

Media reporting that Barça will include an "anti-violence" clause in his contract. Whatever it means, it's necessary.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Yes. Hope Lucho has hired an awesome psychologist as well.

He brought his own one to be a part of the management. I guess he's gonna get Suarez to spend substantial amount of time with him and go through many sessions.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
I think they have the potential to be great, but I'm not too sure. Suarez is not my first choice because he's also the type to demand the ball and I can't see him being happy without getting too much of the ball. But he's got immense quality, so he's still better than Alexis :trickykid: :serghei:

I see the risk with having a front line of 3 players who all love to be on the ball, but I believe it can work if set up correctly because they don't really clash with each other or occupy the same zones.

Suarez loves to dribble, but for him it consists of a few maneuvers or cuts to get past 1-2 guys in the final third and continue an attacking move. He's not a transitional dribbler like Messi/Di Maria/Neymar nor does he keep his head down and linger for too long on the ball like Aguero who loves to run straight into defenders. Suarez is comfortable and dangerous on the ball, but he doesn't waste much time when he receives it which is what'll allow the players adjacent to him (Messi, Neymar) to play off of him well.

On the flip-side, him being incredibly active off of the ball will be important. I'm guessing that Messi will have that free right/central role that he had vs. Milan which means that our two transitional dribblers (Messi and Neymar) will be on opposite sides so that they both get to dominate their own zone without eclipsing each other. Suarez can drift into whatever space he finds when Messi starts one of his runs from right->center and take chances while all the markers are on Leo. He could do the same for Neymar's side as well and be involved in teamplay moves as well so that he's not just a moving target. There's a lot of structured interchanging that can be done given the talent of our forward line.

Just an example to show how Suarez does more without the ball than with it:

I

instinct

So how do you guys think will Lucho use him here? As a RW, as a striker? Or anywhere else? What do you wish for?

I want him to the striker in front of Messi. Best possible position for him IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans