9 - Luis Suárez - v1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stric

It's amazing how all three of our forwards are reaching their best form of the season exactly now when it matters most. So grateful for that.

Tiny Kim

Eto'o scored in Roma and Wembley and won us two champions league finals.
Let's not forget that. Suarez and MSN still have a lot to achieve .

It's kind of hard to win 2 CL finals when you've yet to finish your first season with the club, isn't it? You talk as if Suarez has been here for years and not achieved anything.

I don't think anybody's comparing his trophy cabinet to Eto'o's, nor are they comparing their respective status with the club. They're just comparing them on pure footballing qualities. And in my opinion Suarez is above him in that regard. Will he achieve the same trophies with this team that Eto'o did? Well that's what we're going to have to wait and see. Its his first season here. Its a start.

Icarium

Lifestealer
Most GOALS+ASSISTS in 2014-15 (club+country)

MESSI 79
C.Ronaldo 72
NEYMAR 48
De Bruyne 42
Ibrahimovic 41
Higuain SUAREZ 40

Suarez missed 4 months. Freakishly good stats considering that.

Antimadridista1

It's kind of hard to win 2 CL finals when you've yet to finish your first season with the club, isn't it? You talk as if Suarez has been here for years and not achieved anything.

I don't think anybody's comparing his trophy cabinet to Eto'o's, nor are they comparing their respective status with the club. They're just comparing them on pure footballing qualities. And in my opinion Suarez is above him in that regard. Will he achieve the same trophies with this team that Eto'o did? Well that's what we're going to have to wait and see. Its his first season here. Its a start.

No, you didn't understand my point.
What I said is that we have to wait before making this kind of comparisons. There's probably a lot of gloryhunters here who don't really remember how good Eto'o was when he played for us (he was the best 9 in the world back then) .
If Suarez misses a lot of chances in the tie against Bayern I'm pretty sure that a lot of people will change their mind in this thread. The latter did not even complete a season so we should wait and we'll be able to judge in the future.

Tiny Kim

What I said is that we have to wait before making this kind of comparisons. There's probably a lot of gloryhunters here who don't really remember how good Eto'o was when he played for us (he was the best 9 in the world back then) .
If Suarez misses a lot of chances in the tie against Bayern I'm pretty sure that a lot of people will change their mind in this thread. The latter did not even complete a season so we should wait and we'll be able to judge in the future.

I know the time Eto'o was considered the best striker. I watched him. There was also a time when Torres was considered the best striker in the world as well, and I still rate Suarez higher. He has no pace to rely on unlike the other two, and yet he keeps scoring goals, getting assists, creating chances, creating space for teammates, constantly pressuring and moving, etc.

If we're going to bring trophies into the argument, we could make a case for Djibril Cisse and Neymar as well, as the former has a CL medal and the latter hasn't. Or that Darren Fletcher has as PL medal and Gerrard hasn't. Heck, on World Cup trophies, we could even drag Messi's name into it. But that would just be petty and childish to the extreme, eh?

I feel like people are not giving Suarez enough credit for last season and the season before. In 2012-13 season, he'd have been top scorer in the PL and undoubted POTY if he wasn't banned for the rest of the season after the Chelsea game. We all know how he performed last season. He pulled all that off with a mid-table Liverpool team that had no real quality midfielders to help him and a shambolic defensive line. And now in a new team/league after a knee surgery and 4 months of no competitive football he's finding his form again. So long story short, Eto'o was awesome. But Suarez is the superior overall player. Just my two cents. And I understand that you have a different opinion on the matter, and I respect that.

lessthanjake

To be fair, Suarez is probably the best no. 9 in the world over the last three years himself. Zlatan has an argument for it, but I think Suarez is a better overall player and has played in tougher leagues. Him being a better overall player is borne out, for instance, by whoscored rankings over the last several years. This year, Suarez' average rating in the league is 7.63. Meanwhile, Zlatan's is 7.58. Last year it was 8.43 to 7.83 in favor of Suarez, and the year before that it was 7.89 to 7.82 in favor of Suarez. And, again, that is despite Suarez playing in tougher leagues. Whoscored rankings aren't the gospel, of course, but the fact that they put Suarez ahead despite having fewer goals/match indicates that Suarez is probably considerably better.

And Zlatan and perhaps Lewandowski are the only other no. 9s who are even in the same ballpark.

I realize you weren't saying that Suarez isn't the best no. 9, but you did mention that about Eto'o as if its super meaningful for this discussion. Realistically, we are comparing two players who have been, at some point, the best no. 9 in the world.

Last edited:

red dragon2

People shouldn't be surprised how good suarez is. There is a reason Liverpool fans called him the most naturally gifted player the club has ever had.

Jombi

He also was ordered to dick around as a right forward in the first few games before he was given his natural position. Next season, he might score 50 goals or more!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans