9 - Luis Suárez - v1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamDav1982

What if it's a clean tackle, but the player is really unfortunate and has his leg broken.

What then?

Suarez bit Otman Bakkal with Ajax and then bit Ivanovic with Ajax and Chiellini with Uruguay at the World Cup.

He BIT them. To bite someone, that's just crazy.

I think he is referring to deliberate/dangerous tackles not just any tackle that breaks legs.

Galaxyman

The only issue I had with the ban was that the idea of repeat offending being taken into consideration for biting but not anything else.

Plenty of players have done the same type of thing more than once and never got increasing bans for it.

The ban was overly harsh at first as FIFA were looking to appease a lot of the negative press they were getting at the time in my opinion.

Yeah that's pretty much it. Suarez definitely deserved a big ban. But I think it's the double standards that were eye opening. Defoe bit Mascherano a few years ago, and he only got a yellow & the press even chuckled about it. Not to mention how so many players (sometimes with multiple incidents) got off with nothing after doing way worse.

Last edited:

6 Ballons for Messi

but what if he wins 7??
What if it's a clean tackle, but the player is really unfortunate and has his leg broken.

What then?

Suarez bit Otman Bakkal with Ajax and then bit Ivanovic with Ajax and Chiellini with Uruguay at the World Cup.

He BIT them. To bite someone, that's just crazy.

As jamdav said, I mean deliberate dangerous tackles, with today's various angles and slowmo it's easy to see if a player meant to injure or not.
And your justification about biting, it's crazy? That's all? You realise biting can never cause anyone harm, unless we are talking real crazy, like someone trying to bite one's ear off, lol. What suarez did can cause no harm at all.
It's not right but saying that's crazy and he should be banned for as long as he did is outrageous and hypocritical.

Galning

1266983787.jpg

Wasn't Zidane's first violent outburst and yet he got only a 3 match ban(retiring after it does not matter).

Should've been punished harder as well. Doesn't change anything about my point of view about Suarez though. I think federations should be a lot more strict with all these, headbutts, punches, slaps, etc. No space for such things in a sporting event.
Football could learn a lot from American sports in this sense. Such things aren't tolerated in the States. In football everybody goes along with it just because it happens at least once every weekend in a certain competition. Absolutely stupid.

Neymessi

It wasnt at all.
It was completely appropriate at all

No, it wasn't. Neither was his punishment for a "racial abuse" accusation where the only "evidence" available was the supposed victim's word against his. Even more so when you take into account the NT captain of the FA of the country that handed out the verdict received less punishment for the same allegations WITH actual evidence of the 'crime' committed.

No it wasn't ! As others have said, the punishment was extremely exagerated for the crime commited.
It wasn't exaggerated.He was a repeat offender
Maybe the 4 month ban was fair (+ obviously getting kicked out of the WC). And, if you really really really have it in personally for Suarez, then the Copa America ban is semi-understandable. But to continue banning him even into the qualifiers? For a bite ?! Now that's ridiculous.

FIFA would have executed him if they could (& I'm sure they wanted to). They didn't even offer him any psychiatric help. They tossed him out of the car, and drove away.

And, I'm sorry, I don't buy the (strangely) homophobic argument of "but a man...bit...another man! it's icky!". That seems to be what many advocates of the ban were most concerned with. I've actually heard people on the radio slam Suarez's "unnatural act", while seconds later defending leg-breakers because it's "normal". Please.

I seem to come across a lot of posts saying that it not worse than a leg breaking tackle etc but thats not the point.Biting someone is an act of insanity when you are more than 25 years old.These are just pathetic and unacceptable deeds.And you keep doing it again and again and again.And every time on a bigger stage(finally in the world cup)Would it be ok if a player pissed on another player in a live football match.:lol:Surely it would not to do any damage like a leg breaking tackle..Sorry but 4 months was just going to happen.The only thing wrong was that he was not allowed to train which was revoked.And I have nothing in for suarez.He is a great player and I support him fully but he deserved what came his way.The nice thing is that he has changed completely.

Last edited:

FC B

Such a good first half from him. Loved the way he jumped to let Leo's shot find the net...

Great altruistic display from him yet again, as oposed to Neymar.

Alik

Such a good first half from him. Loved the way he jumped to let Leo's shot find the net...

Great altruistic display from him yet again, as oposed to Neymar.

Indeed. Love how selfless Suarez has been this whole season. Gives it his all for the team.

Another excellent performance tonight!

Gnidrologist

Dude. Stop.
Well, but he IS right. Like for example that moment, where he cut from the left and get past two players just to send the ball after pigeons. Suarez was completely free on the right. At the same time he constantly tries to put in awkward balls to Messi, because ''he's his friend''. But i think he will mature and get better at making decisions like these. He already has, compared to last season. It's just that he needs to cut down on his love for Messi, at least on football pitch.

Great game for him, never the less.

Stric

I wish for his sake he had scored, but I thought he had a great game. Wonderful pass to Neymar once again. His decision making is just brilliant, in crucial moments.

1266983787.jpg

Wasn't Zidane's first violent outburst and yet he got only a 3 match ban(retiring after it does not matter).

I get your point, but honestly, how is this a counter argument to what I said? I never said that other players didn't deserve worse bans, or that every ban so far was fair and justified. Zidane should have been permanently banned from all top-level football, regardless of how close or far from retirement he was. There's no place for thugs on the field. The governing bodies are too lenient regarding such matters, and thuggery will only get worse because of it.

barca1899

I get your point, but honestly, how is this a counter argument to what I said? I never said that other players didn't deserve worse bans, or that every ban so far was fair and justified. Zidane should have been permanently banned from all top-level football, regardless of how close or far from retirement he was. There's no place for thugs on the field. The governing bodies are too lenient regarding such matters, and thuggery will only get worse because of it.

Well, there is no argument against. :lol: It was deserved, apart from the training ban which got lifted by CAS.

Compared to other examples though it looks completely over the top and that is my problem, there is no continuity in punishments.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans