9 - Luis Suárez - v1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horatio

You're welcome
No. His job is to score.

One could argue and say: It's his job to make the best decision in any type of footballing situation.
Ofcourse there is going to be a grey areas here, but this is a clear situation where having passed it to Neymar normally leads to a greater increase of chance securing the goal instead of going 1-on-1 with the keeper from that angle.

EDIT: I incorrectly referred to the second goal of Suarez. Obviously I meant his first one.

Last edited:
F

Flavia

One could argue and say: It's his job to make the best decision in any type of footballing situation.
Ofcourse there is going to be a grey areas here, but this is a clear situation where having passed it to Neymar normally leads to a greater increase of chance securing the goal instead of going 1-on-1 with the keeper from that angle.

There's nothing to argue, really. He scored that. I often see people complaining some players don't shoot, but pass instead. A pass could had been bad, or intercepted, as it happens sometimes. Suarez's best at shooting. If he had passed, and somehow the pass was bad, or Neymar missed it, people would be saying he should had shot.

Henry_IB

Banned
Should Suarez have passed it to Neymar instead of making his 2nd goal?

Discuss.

Definitely yes. I don't mind players going for personal glory themselves when we're comfortably ahead but not when we're 1-0 up. The better choice was to pass Neymar, it had almost zero chance of being intercepted and it would have been a guaranteed goal.

His shot was poor and it was lucky to go in, I don't really care if it went in because the better decision would have been to pass.

Tiny Kim

Should Suarez have passed it to Neymar instead during his first goal?

Discuss.

What for? Should we also discuss the numerous amount of times in the past where Neymar didn't pass to Suarez as well? These type of questions only incite unnecessary debate and will only escalate into flame wars. He scored, and no player was upset about it. That's what matters in the end.

Tiny Kim

Definitely yes. I don't mind players going for personal glory themselves when we're comfortably ahead but not when we're 1-0 up. The better choice was to pass Neymar, it had almost zero chance of being intercepted and it would have been a guaranteed goal.

His shot was poor and it was lucky to go in, I don't really care if it went in because the better decision would have been to pass.

Suarez could've scuffed the pass, Neymar could've had a bad 1st touch, the keeper could've made a terrific save. All are possible. There's no way to accurately measure how or what could, should or would happen. Its all just speculation. And to say passing to Neymar was more important than Suarez scoring a goal? Are you for real?

Kuchi

Both real & this game, he had a good angle of approach, with lots of finishing options both far and near post, so what he did is the right decision, as in focus on the keeper and score past him.

When he's off angle or not comfortable, he will look for Ney, like he did in previous occasions (bayern away, 1st goal comes to mind).

Honestly, timing a pass, even though it looks easy on TV may be more tricky than just beating a keeper, right in front of you, as you don't have to judge for the defender's movement, team mate pace, etc. It all depends on the circumstances and if you miss the timing to set up the pass, might as well not try it at all.

Definitely the right choice. If Suarez is comfortable and well placed, he's fucking deadly.

Last edited:

Horatio

You're welcome
What for? Should we also discuss the numerous amount of times in the past where Neymar didn't pass to Suarez as well? These type of questions only incite unnecessary debate and will only escalate into flame wars. He scored, and no player was upset about it. That's what matters in the end.

Ironic, as the same could be said about this type of post. =P
But the replies have gone well so far, so no worries.

Suarez could've scuffed the pass, Neymar could've had a bad 1st touch, the keeper could've made a terrific save. All are possible. There's no way to accurately measure how or what could, should or would happen. Its all just speculation. And to say passing to Neymar was more important than Suarez scoring a goal? Are you for real?

You only know that Suarez made that goal in hindsight. So the question for that situation is: Should he have passed to Neymar who was in a better position, or attempted to score a goal 1-on-1 with the keeper?
If he had passed the ball, I am pretty confident no one would have blamed Suarez.
If Neymar had made a nice attempt and the keeper made a miraculous save I am pretty sure no one would be talking about this, as it would have become another created chance that wasn't converted like the countless ones before.

There are legitimate reasons to raise questions about Suarez not going for the easy solution in these kind of ABC-type situations. In the instant moment it looks great because yeah, Suarez made a goal! But on the long term not going for the option that has a better chance repeatedly might possibly affect the overall success negatively.

Last edited:

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
Usually a footballer should always try to make the right decision. In this situation it was probably a pass to Neymar.
BUT if a player decides otherwise and the outcome justifies his decision, there is nothing to complain about. If you score, you score, that's it.

Vlom

Previously known as Mehssi
Both on his 2nd goal yesterday and the 4th against RM the best option was setting up Neymar but he didn't. May be he would have before as he was very unselfish last season and bagged tons of assists for that.

I don't care much, but I'd argue both those goals had their fair share of luck and would have been intercepted if 1to10 degres more to the left or right, yesterday's in particular was all on the goalie, suarez shot it straight into him.

ppxrare

his goal against Madrid, no she shouldn't pass as he had a better angle to curve it or just hammer it, and also the GK was far away from the goal so that he can chip it. Yesterday he was lucky to score as you saw it went through the goalies legs and even hit his left foot. Passing to Neymar in that scenario was the safer option since the angle he had to work with was worse

jj_101

Ironic, as the same could be said about this type of post. =P
But the replies have gone well so far, so no worries.

You only know that Suarez made that goal in hindsight. So the question for that situation is: Should he have passed to Neymar who was in a better position, or attempted to score a goal 1-on-1 with the keeper?
If he had passed the ball, I am pretty confident no one would have blamed Suarez.
If Neymar had made a nice attempt and the keeper made a miraculous save I am pretty sure no one would be talking about this, as it would have become another created chance that wasn't converted like the countless ones before.

There are legitimate reasons to raise questions about Suarez not going for the easy solution in these kind of ABC-type situations. In the instant moment it looks great because yeah, Suarez made a goal! But on the long term not going for the option that has a better chance repeatedly might possibly affect the overall success negatively.

And what if he passed and Neymar was flagged offside? Like what happened to Suarez in the last Liga match.
There is no point to question a good goal. Save the argument for when Suarez misses the chance at least.

Horatio

You're welcome
There is no point to question a good goal. Save the argument for when Suarez misses the chance at least.

That's EXACTLY what I am trying to avoid. A play should be allowed to be studied regardless of its outcome.

always making a mountain out of a mole hill :shakeshead:

No man. Was just a legitimate question. What's wrong with asking people what they thought about the goal?
I asked the question very casually. Not complaining.

Last edited:

serghei

Thing is every one of Messi, Neymar, and Suarez is selfish and individualistic by nature and instinct. When they usually pass in 1 vs 1 is when their game intelligence (which translates into a very high football IQ basically) contains their instinct. However, there are several situation when their instinct rises to the surface and you see situations in which Messi, Suarez, or Neymar will take a chance on their own, even when a teammate is better placed. Such situations usually happen when one is extremely motivated and playing to a level that is more based on instinct and talent than actual reading of the game.

That's why you had games in which Messi was the best (home game vs City, home game vs Bayern), and games in which Suarez was the best (PSG away, City away) for example. In these games one individual was closer to being in the zone, more motivated for some reason, quicker on the night, having a better intuition feeling the ball better etc. I would give that player the liberty to try things based purely on confidence, and not necessarily on probabilities (this solution has 20% more chances to lead to a goal than the other). If Suarez thinks it's his night, I would trust him to take a shot even if it's the 2nd best option, because I trust Suarez when he's in the zone, playing special. Same for Messi (that's actually proven -- when Messi is in the zone, the best option for us is that whichever he decides to do) or Neymar.

Last edited:

FCBVideos

you guys already forgot how many times Suarez assisted Ney last season in situations like that? Bayern twice, Bilbao final etc etc when he could have scored easily. He knows better what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans