9 - Luis Suárez - v1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuchi

He is right, peak Ronaldo from Barcelona was surely Messi level. You either didn't watch him on his peak or you are really closing your eyes to reality.

The point is Messi managed to sustain that level for more than a decade, while Ronaldo didn't.

That's the reason Messi is way above Ronaldo or anyone. Because of all "Messi level players", he is the most natural and consistent of all.

If you watched Ronaldo on his peak, then you should really stop closing your eyes to reality just because you love (deservedly) our GOAT.

Mate is just a difference of nuance really. If Messi level means 10 iconic football players that were better than anybody else in their time, of course Ronaldo is there and i saw his season for us, as well his entire career.

That being said, for me Messi level is like an elevator level, with just one man on the top floor.

mark1nhu

Romario was more of a poacher but probably the best pure goal poacher ever. Sharp as a cobra in the box,rarely missed.

The original Ronaldo had it all but injuries really deprived us fans of his peak. A fantastic player and talent wise on Messi's level.

That's a common misconception.

Young Romário was not a poacher. He was fast, skillful and always outside the box.

He turned a poacher post 30, when he lost part of his physical strength.

But anyway, it's totally fair from you to prefer Ronaldo. Both were geniuses.

Galaxyman

I have no idea what you're so worked up about. Is it because of my last post or the posts in this thread in general?

Also, Ronaldo de Lima happens to be my all-time favourite player. But you don't need to use over-the-top phrases like "not even better than the left leg of" to make your point.

And what I meant by that statement was that Pele and Maradona are the ultimate benchmarks for current and future world class players. And if Ronaldo de Lima hadn't had those massive injuries, his name would be unquestionably placed alongside (or perhaps even higher than) those two. Nowhere did I say that Cristiano is better than Pele, Maradona or Ronaldo de Lima.

And please, stop using that last line. Its been used to death by teenagers(and some older people) trying to sound grown-up and knowledgeable on the internet. Its juvenile and cringe worthy.

Spot on dude. It's actually funny that the people who come running in desperate defence of Ronaldo de Lima are Brazilians.

I especially love the over the top superlatives: "GODLY" ""not even better than the left leg of". :lol: Relax guys.

Suarez is a legend. He's going to be regarded as 1 of the greatest players of all time; simple as that.

Last edited:

Galaxyman

I'm not worked up.

It's not an over the top phrase: Suarez is still not a leg of pre-injury Ronaldo, quite literally. How many goals that Ronaldo would have scored with this Messi feeding him and this current Barça system? Too many to be counted.
Really? I mean...really? How many elite strikers have fallen because they can't handle Messi being the #1 that Barça plays for? Do you honestly think Ronaldo de Lima would have been any different than the Ibrahimovic or basically every Barça striker in the last decade? Is he a saint?

There's a reason why even Messi & Neymar (& even Barça's president) are praising Suarez to no end. It's a rare phenomenon to see a striker that unselfish & be able to connect with Messi so well. Ronaldo de Lima would not have been an exception. He would have been just as frustrated; most likely left after a couple of years after being tired of servicing Messi.

SKS-

latest

empedoklkokalov

I don't agree with criminally underrating van basten. The guy won 3 ballons, was plagued by injuries and stopped football at the age of 28, all while competing with romario, young batistuta and baggio. He is above the players you put him with.
Imo he competes for the best striker ever title with ronaldo and batistuta, from the players I've seen at least.

Just to remind you guys: Our own Hristo Stoichkov was criminally robed in 92 for the 3 golden ball of Marco van Basten. As I remember clearly this time since I am Bulgarian even Marco Van Basten admitted that Hristo had deserved the golden ball that year. In this case Now Hristo and Marco would have had 2 balon's each. And our beloved Barca one more.

Regards,

i_bleed_blaugrana

I don't agree with criminally underrating van basten. The guy won 3 ballons, was plagued by injuries and stopped football at the age of 28, all while competing with romario, young batistuta and baggio. He is above the players you put him with.
Imo he competes for the best striker ever title with ronaldo and batistuta, from the players I've seen at least.

Van Basten was amazing and maybe I did rate him a little low. I think it's also fair to put Gerd Muller and even Ibrah in that category. Not many players have won as many different domestic leagues as he has. All he is missing is a PL and Bundesliga title, and if I was him, I'd go for it. He's such a freak of nature and is so fit that he could easily play at the top level until he's 40.

lessthanjake

Are you really saying that Cristiano is ahead of Pelé, Maradona and Ronaldo de Lima as a football player or am I the one who is misunderstanding what you wrote?
I hope it is the second one.

Football isn't born in 2008 guys.

Nooo, I think he was saying that Ronaldo could've been considered the GOAT going into this era, instead of Pelé and Maradona. That is, we wouldn't be debating whether Messi is better than Pele/Maradona, but rather whether he is better than R9.

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
Imagine Ronnie - Ronaldo - Messi all in their prime.. Romario or Van Basten on the bench for the #9 spot. Don't dare to sub Leo or Ronnie.
Total savage and most entertaining trio ever.

Barcilliant

Why compare Suarez with others. Just enjoy the great work he's doing.

There were strong rumors linking us to him in 2011. Pep's brother was his agent and the transfer didn't happen. If it had we would have been a better side even under Tito or Tata.

jj_101

I'm not worked up.

It's not an over the top phrase: Suarez is still not a leg of pre-injury Ronaldo, quite literally. How many goals that Ronaldo would have scored with this Messi feeding him and this current Barça system? Too many to be counted.
What a rediculous thing to say. Suarez outscored pre-injury Ronaldo at Ajax. A more suitable question would be what would pre-injury Ronaldo have done in England at a club like Liverpool? Probably become injured that much sooner. Few seem to realize the sacrifices that Suarez makes to his natural game in order to make Barca the best TEAM in the world. Barca are undefeated when Suarez scores 34-2-0. How is pre-injury Ronaldo's record in that regard? How is Neymar's record? Would pre-injury Ronaldo been able to tame his ego enough to play with Messi? The fact that Suarez is doing these things NOW, when several great players have failed is something that won't fully be appreciated until he is gone. In most every big game Barca have had in the past two seasons, Suarez has been THE difference maker. Let that sink in. Fact is that if Suarez was Brazilian, the comparisons would only be vs Pele.

Trickykid

What a rediculous thing to say. Suarez outscored pre-injury Ronaldo at Ajax. A more suitable question would be what would pre-injury Ronaldo have done in England at a club like Liverpool? Probably become injured that much sooner. Few seem to realize the sacrifices that Suarez makes to his natural game in order to make Barca the best TEAM in the world. Barca are undefeated when Suarez scores 34-2-0. How is pre-injury Ronaldo's record in that regard? How is Neymar's record? Would pre-injury Ronaldo been able to tame his ego enough to play with Messi? The fact that Suarez is doing these things NOW, when several great players have failed is something that won't fully be appreciated until he is gone. In most every big game Barca have had in the past two seasons, Suarez has been THE difference maker. Let that sink in. Fact is that if Suarez was Brazilian, the comparisons would only be vs Pele.

Solid post there buddy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans