9 - Robert Lewandowski

FCBfan22

A small note on the side:
Lewy scored 12 goals in 10 LL games so far. Last season he scored a total of 19 goals in 35 LL games. He's just 7 goals away from his last season's limit while having played roughly a quarter of games.
That's on Hansi's attacking play.

We are taking no prisoners in the attacking third and are in full assault blitzkrieg direct mode almost all the time.

I dont know why people think Lewandowski cant play against big teams in big games.

I'm watching him since his Lech Poznan stage (polish club he was playing in before Borussia Dortmund). He destroyed many big clubs in CL. Famous 4 goals against Real Madrid while playing for BVB in UCL semifinals, freekick goal vs Atletico Madrid while playing for Bayern, many goals vs Tottenham (including one from outside the box after taking a 180 with defender on his back), many goals vs Chelsea both home and away, beautiful header goal vs Manchester City, goal vs FC Barcelona after solo destroying Mascherano, goal and assist vs Barcelona in fameous 8-2, for FC Barcelona he scored two goals in two games vs Italy Champion Napoli both home and away, goal for Bayern against PSG, he scored a hattrick against Bayern in German Cup final while playing for BVB, he scored for BVB vs Real Madrid in 2-1 win after beautiful run while shooting perfectly near the short post against in good form Casillas. His goalscoring record against Borussia Dortmund as Bayern München player is insane. And many many more.

Nobody except Messi and Ronaldo scored more against big clubs than Lewandowski. He "just" won one UCL (as a topscorer with 15 goals) because he wasnt a Real Madrid or Prime Messi Xavi Iniesta player. Who won more UCLs as a player playing outside those two clubs while scoring more against big clubs than Lewandowski in last 15-20 years? :)
He is just scoring so many goals that people think that when he scored 3 against Alaves then he needs to score 3 against Real or otherwise he is shit.

The truth is that scoring against tougher opponent is more difficult of course and he is the first one to be marked heavily by defenders in such matches

TemporaryFan

Do you want him to score or look masculine? The problem here is that his technique is better then shooting with power. Look at his penalty conversion rate comparing to others. He is expert in penalties and the rare occasions when he misssed were mostly the ones when he didn’t use his special technique

And he can’t use is all the time because goalies will learn it and will stand till the end, and it will be useless
Every time he kicks the 11 like that, it looks to me like a shaky stuff. To the point, I wish someone else took over. Sometimes, I'd argue the validity of the execution, when he almost stops, where "almost" is very debatable as it can be argued that he does stop. During Euro, Poland vs France it looked pathetic...lucky for him it was repeated.
What I am saying is that his style of execution of PKs does not instill confidence.
It should be simple business. Bang it like a man...you miss, tough shit...at least it won't look so bad, when the goalkeeper catches the ball with one hand.

Last edited:
Every time he kicks the 11 like that, it looks to me like a shaky stuff. To the point, I wish someone else took over. Sometimes, I'd argue the validity of the execution, when he almost stops, where "almost" is very debatable as it can be argued that he does stop. During Euro, Poland vs France it looked pathetic...lucky for him it was repeated.
What I am saying is that his style of execution of PKs does not instill confidence.
It should be simple business. Bang it like a man...you miss, tough shit...at least it won't look so bad, when the goalkeeper catches the ball with one hand.
Statistically 75-80% of penalties are converted, Lewandowski has 90.1%. If the statistics are on his side, why change?

TemporaryFan

When Lewandowski played for Bayern, to a certain extent, he had an opinion of being a choker. He could not deliver in critical games...games that the whole World was watching...games that matterd. e.g. remember Bayern with Pep against Barcelona in CL quarterfinals, against Madrid or Liverpool... name a few? Benzema, on the other hand, by some Devine nature was always up to the task.
I know he's got thousands of goals but I want him to score at the big "World is watching" fights when the goals are critical and lead directly to the ultimate success; advancement to another round... semifinals and finals. Just like he did against Real Madrid in 2013 CL semis...or against Bayern in 2012, in the German Pokal final.

TemporaryFan

Statistically 75-80% of penalties are converted, Lewandowski has 90.1%. If the statistics are on his side, why change?
As long as the statistics favor him...that's fine. I just worry, it is a matter of time before there's a spectacular failure at the most critical moment, and everybody wants to lynch him after that.

Now, the panelty kicks he used to do at Bundesliga, even though similar to what he does now, looked somehow firmer, odds were more certain, there was "optically" no doubt. Now when he does it, even though he scores, eveyone is eyeballing the replay and says "what the fuck was that...?".

Home of Barca Fans