9 - Robert Lewandowski

Status
Not open for further replies.

iniestaGOAT

His hair is grey on sides.
While sprinting, his start is weaker lately.
When dribbling, his hips/ass are getting slower/less agile, like Rakitic in his last Barca's days.

Let's see what the upcoming months will bring to his pace, acceleration, hips and agility.
Science is pretty clear what will happen.

He needs to get rid of the white hair that's for sure

Look the part of a professional football player

OVI9323

It's wild to even argue that a 34 years old in this intensive and physical sport could be better than a 28 years old.... Nevertheless, seen his qualities he should still be able to provide us some good goal output...

Yersteday all the player was quite tense, dembele came back with his best imitation of soft shoot he made against Psg, raphinha was basically useless, Pedri didn't found him. In those condition he couldn't do much

And I was wrong...

... for 1 year.

1 year later Messi more or less dissappeared as a top footballer.

So, I was 100% right, except that I have predicted Messi's fall 12 Months too soon.

No one can escape nature.

Messi is a dribbler - speed might matter. They age faster than a centre forward who in a ball possession team might need speed of thinking but pure speed is for sure not the main attribute they need. Experience is a much more important factor for centre forwards in ball possession systems - we are not talking about a counter attacking system were the speed of the striker might be really important...
Especially in a league like La Liga that it is by far less about physicality than the other leagues.

jamrock

I will not lie, he looked slower than I expected these past few games, pace was never a big part of his game, but he seems to find it hard to separate himself from most defenders over that first 5 yards, that will only get worst over the coming seasons.

Still I'd be shocked if he doesn't even the season with 30-35 goals all comps.

BBZ8800

Messi is a dribbler - speed might matter. They age faster than a centre forward who in a ball possession team might need speed of thinking but pure speed is for sure not the main attribute they need. Experience is a much more important factor for centre forwards in ball possession systems - we are not talking about a counter attacking system were the speed of the striker might be really important...
Especially in a league like La Liga that it is by far less about physicality than the other leagues.

Look, I am 40 years old myself.
Even though I am an amateur footballer, since the age of roughly 28, I am visibly slower each year, my hips are as slow as Raki's, I am turning like an elephant even though I am skinny etc.

1. Pace is weaker each year
2. Stamina also
3. Acceleration also
4. Agility also
5. Dribbles also
Regarding shots, they also become shittier.
A part of shooting is also a good physical condition and composure.
When your ankles, knees and muscles get 5% weaker, your shots also become less accurate and powerfull.
Even if you lose 1-2% of muscles and legs-strength and composure each year, your shots also become 1-2% shittier.
If we are talking about positioning, experience and tap-ins, than not. You can score tap-ins till the age of 45.
But, if we are talking about yesterday's shot when Lewa missed it by an inch, that type of shots will become quite shitty in the future.
Also, shots from the outside of a box or volleys.
His aerial strength and jumping also decline each passing month since jumping requires top condition and some physical strength.

And, for the end, no matter what he does, his legs, hips and ass will get slower.
So, if he needed 0,5 seconds in the box for a shot 5 years ago, from now on, he'll need 0,7 seconds and soon he'll need 1,0 second.

Everything becomes slower, less powerfull and less accurate.
Again, look at Messi's dribbles, but even look at his shots.
They are not as strong and lethal as before.
And often you have a feeling that he reacts too slow in the box and the opponents tackle him or close him down, unlike 10 or 5 years ago.

Cr7: not only that his dribbles and pace are gone, but also his jumps and headers are not as good as 5 or 8 years ago.
His shots are less powerfull and less accurate.
And again, due to a drop of pace, acceleration and agility = he gets into less chances, he gets dispossessed more easily.
And even if he shoots, his shots are way shittier than in the past.
He often has granny touches and granny shots lately.

If you guys don't like a comparison with Messi's decline in terms of Lewa, then look at Cr7.
A perfect athlete, trains like crazy, but still he declined massively in every single aspect of his game.
And yet, all aspects of his game were superior to Lewa's. And look at where Cr7 is today.

Now apply that to Lewa, who probably isn't as physically as perfect as Cr7.
Add that his peak skills were weaker than Cr7s.
And, on top: he moved to a new country where everything is new.

7 days ago, people talked that we are CL contenders and that we have the best attack in the league.

One thing will never change: insane levels of delusion and too much hope whenever we sign a new player/get new La Masia kid.

1. First it is overrating, delusion and overhyping
2. Then we have a few months/seasons of alibies where everything else is guilty except the player
3. Then in the end comes acceptance
4. And moving to a new signing and go back to the point no1

Last edited:

BBZ8800

Current Benzema is in the best shape of his career btw

He was always in Cr7's shadow during Benz's peak.
Cr7 took all the penaldos, free kicks, the whole team worked for Cr7, every pass needed to be passed to Cr7.
So, it is hard to tell whether a 34 year old Benzema would have been better than 28 year old Benzema, under the same team-coniditions.
Alos, currently Messi and Cr7 are gone, so Benz, Lewa and Haaland are in the spotlight. And only one of them won the CL last season.

About Lewa, remember that he is only 3 years younger than this guy (who, btw, obviously, also got hit by the Mother nature):
cee946288564c3bdb046e540a8c0c0e0f8f3a45fb1f824643c19ea85d4a4eb31.jpg

But some fans are expecting that Lewa will be a key player in Rooney's age and still bang 30-40 goals for fun.

MTL_Barca

A steady monthly decline in physical condition isn't a simple fact, way more complicated. Obviously time is catching up to everyone, but it's not like a human is always getting slower by 0,5 km/h every month or something once he hits a certain age.

By that logic 30-33 year old Lewandowski should've already been worse than as a 24-27 year old, but actually thats when he started to really get to ridiculous numbers.

Last edited:

iniestaGOAT

He was always in Cr7's shadow during Benz's peak.
Cr7 took all the penaldos, free kicks, the whole team worked for Cr7, every pass needed to be passed to Cr7.
So, it is hard to tell whether a 34 year old Benzema would have been better than 28 year old Benzema, under the same team-coniditions.
Alos, currently Messi and Cr7 are gone, so Benz, Lewa and Haaland are in the spotlight. And only one of them won the CL last season.

About Lewa, remember that he is only 3 years younger than this guy (who, btw, obviously, also got hit by the Mother nature):
cee946288564c3bdb046e540a8c0c0e0f8f3a45fb1f824643c19ea85d4a4eb31.jpg

But some fans are expecting that Lewa will be a key player in Rooney's age and still bang 30-40 goals for fun.

This is also true we have no idea how good young benzema could have been if cr7 wasn't Halting his progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans