9 - Robert Lewandowski

Temptation

Yes, Not destroyed, but fairly beaten. I still believe that.
It's not bad to romanticize a bit one of the best , if not the best, teams of all time.
That's why I get so many knee-jerk responses when I say this.

But evolution is relentless.
The edge Barca had at the time that made it so special and so above other teams of 2011 would give them more chances to get a result against modern day top sides compared to the chances all other lot from 2011 would have.
But, the gap is there. I don't think barca 2011 would have made it.

PS: be back later for a reply to your points about RM

Certain teams from certain periods just stand the test of time and don't get outdated...for a reasonable amount of time atleast.

At the end of the day we're just guessing and analysing; will probably never come to a definite conclusion everyone agrees with....but I'm with you on this one.

Fully agree.

JohnN

People talking about pep's Barca like it was a century ago. They would crash all these "top teams of today". Go watch some matches against top opponents and remember the intensity at which everyone came at Barca and almost always ended up trashed. That crop of players was just too good and still would be in today's era.

Morten

Going back a few posts but Real Madrid in 2018 were no way the best team in Europe.

Soundly beaten in the league, didn?t win the Copa del Rey, got absolutely gifted the win against Bayern and then a concussed Karius dropped a MOTM performance for them.

Edit- got the wrong season it was 16-17 that game happened.

Too difficult to keep up with Valverde in the league tbf.

Rassvet

I think the best way to determine the best team in europe over a season would be a super league type format with the top 15-20 teams playing each other twice over several months. Using domestic form to decide who "deserved" the CL can be flawed as most domestic matches are about beating inferior teams who often sit back more in comparison to CL matches. Barca 12-13 got the most points of any Barca team for example and was great at winning vs weaker teams yet had issues that were exposed in big matches throughout the campaign.

KingLeo10

I think the best way to determine the best team in europe over a season would be a super league type format with the top 15-20 teams playing each other twice over several months. Using domestic form to decide who "deserved" the CL can be flawed as most domestic matches are about beating inferior teams who often sit back more in comparison to CL matches. Barca 12-13 got the most points of any Barca team for example and was great at winning vs weaker teams yet had issues that were exposed in big matches throughout the campaign.

Surprisingly, a non troll post and exactly the example I'd use.

12-13 Barca were big match frauds for a multitude of reasons (very ill manager, declining core, fatigue after 4 years of continuous success at club and NT level). Good example of perils of just looking at league table.

Birdy

Always my point!

I am a firm supporter of the REAL Superleague, which would be a league and not a cup

KingLeo10

Too early to give him that distinction. If he wins us 2 leagues or a CL, sure.

Even then, prime R10 was a monster AND magician.

CatalinR10

Gnidrologist

Well, he's not comparable in magnitude of significance, but there's certainly some uplifting spirit that he brings and not because of his rep, but what he has already shown on the field. He has a lot of mature Merlin magic up his sleeve and seem to elevate the whole team with his presence too. Fans feel that too. We haven't had that kind of transfer for ages. Too bad he's at the tail end of his career, but this kind of veteran is just what current Barca needs.

Home of Barca Fans