9 - Samuel Eto'o

E

Esteve

An off day is fine. But the fact is he's been consistently "off" for a while now. The reason he's getting more stick than Messi or Iniesta is because they still put in brilliant performances after their dips in form and have carried the team for the whole season while Samu seems to on a constant dip, the penalty miss wasn't actually a major factor at all but the icing on a horrible cake. But I can appreciate where you're coming from, and I don't want to have a pointless argument because I respect your opinion very much. I'm just extremely frustrated.

We're all frustrated but maybe Beast is right. He has hit great form after some serious dips in the past. What's stopping him from doing the same this time around? He scored in the 2006 CL final, a goal in this year's final is very possible with his movement. Surely he'll start banging them in again with all the chances he creates for himself!

X.A.U

The Special One
Beast I think you misunderstood! It's not an off day, more like an off half season. Also he is so anonymous in big games from the last season.

Yes we won trophies, but I give most of the credits to our HERO Pep Guardiola, this guy with his no-nonsense attitude is what brought us success. If you think about it, only two players changed form our starting 11 last season. Alves and Pique!!! The rest are the same players. Pep was tough with Eto'o and we all saw it at the beginning of the season, he pushed him to score. I think Pep should slap him again so he start to focus on his game not the Pichichi trophy!

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
what's worrying is that since his knee-injury eto'o has been consistently rubbish in the run-in.

since the start of april he's only scored 4 league goals, two of which were basically open goal tap-ins (vs. sevilla and villarreal).

he only managed 4 last season and 3 the season before (when we played on into june!) and that's not the kind of form you want your premier striker to be bringing in the closing months of the season.

DivineVisitor

The Right One ⇩
Bojan in the Copa summed it up perfectly.

Eto'o in acres of space ready to go one on one with the keeper, Bojan an 18 year old up and comming young star with a defender in his path. Does he pass to Eto'o for the seemingly easy goal? Nah, he just curls it round the defender, keeper and in off the far post from just inside the box.

Rulz

2009 Internet Champion
Bojan in the Copa summed it up perfectly.

Eto'o in acres of space ready to go one on one with the keeper, Bojan an 18 year old up and comming young star with a defender in his path. Does he pass to Eto'o for the seemingly easy goal? Nah, he just curls it round the defender, keeper and in off the far post from just inside the box.

No amount of debate on a forum could drill home a point better than that example.

Bojan could have given Etoo the easiest of goals, but even he, an 18 year old youth product, had more belief in his much harder shot on goal than an Etoo one-on-one.

Alot of Etoos goals are simple, I don't care how many of them he gets, we need someone who can consistently score hard(er) goals. We also need someone who has a better first touch.

jairzinho

WRONG... and the example.. what did Sexy Lopez do with Dinho on top form and the team ? zilch nothing.. it's a shame u guys push down E2 contribution and movement to just how many missed chances instead of how many goals scored..

take off E2 goals and let me know if you would be where u are today
maybe this phantom other striker wouldn't be in a good place to receive the pass in the first place or be marked off the game cause they sure do .. and Villa is the same as E2 and same age he isn't any better ATM except for freekicks and even that he doesn't score them anymore

I totally agree with you Beast....when eto'o is banging in the goals we sing his praises...but as soon as his form starts to dip we start to condemn him where is the PTC spirit !!

karthik

Eto'o is a great striker, but from febraury especially from the match against athletic in liga his form has decreased slowly and its in the worst state ATM, hope he puts more confidence in his legs and bangs the ball into the net from next time.

MJ BarcaFan

Also in the last El Clasico in the Bernabeu... Henry seemingly even refused to celebrate with him... remember Henry goal with Titi high jump celebration ...

beef-supreme

huh, I have been saying this since I joined this forum! Glad people start to see it now!

Hehe yeah me too.

man u lot are overreacting ...

so what's the issue ? the league in the bag.. the game doesn't need any extra effort even Pep rested the entire team par E2 to help him win the pichichi .. so what's the problem ? taking one for the team is normal the game makes no difference what so ever for both teams.. all his colleagues tried to give him the Pichichi trophy and u are acting as if he is the reason u lost the league .. jesus the guy scored 31 goals in 39 games and u are all over his back!!!

.. what the fuck do u want more from him ?? just leave him alone he is doing a fucking great job .. tell any team if you want those 31 goals striker and u all know they will take it

u know what .. sell him .. lets see if Villa or Meta no 9 will give you the heart and self motivation E2 gives u .. u really deserve to lose him .. some fickle fans

Of course Beast what you're saying makes sense, but I would agree more with what Quash has said:

An off day is fine. But the fact is he's been consistently "off" for a while now. The reason he's getting more stick than Messi or Iniesta is because they still put in brilliant performances after their dips in form and have carried the team for the whole season while Samu seems to on a constant dip, the penalty miss wasn't actually a major factor at all but the icing on a horrible cake. Plus, Messi and Iniesta are the golden boys, they very rarely get stick even when it's deserved. But I can appreciate where you're coming from, and I don't want to have a pointless argument because I respect your opinion very much. I'm just extremely frustrated.

Eto'o has been off for a long long time. And even when he was 'on', I never really gave credit to him for his goals. Only a couple, and of course i was really grateful. Now when you say that any team would love a striker who scores as many as Eto'o - but let me tell you this: in any other team, Eto'o WOULDN'T score as many. In fact, with his current form (since that whole give Eto'o a new contract thing) Eto'o would put in mediocre performances and not score week-in-week-out. Oh wait... That's actually what's been happening so far, for Barcelona! How many arbitrary chances does he miss per match? And when he scores, his goals aren't 'clean'. The goal he scored against Mallorca was probably his best goal for about 6 months. His other goals have come when the keeper has spilled it (he's hit it at the keeper numerous times) or when it came off him unknowingly (like against Madrid). And to be fair I think that someone else could do the same.

I said this when I first joined the forum, that it is SO weird to be saying this, but in spite of the massive number of goals Eto'o has scored, he still needs to leave. And only because he has missed so many more, and because the goals that he HAS scored have 90% of the time been down to the team and NOT his own achievement. I think that a top striker like Villa or Torres or Van Nistelrooy would be scoring twice as many goals, and I'm serious. This Mallorca performance wasn't even Eto'o's worst of late. That's how bad he's been.

One thing I can never take away from him is his work effort. But in a world class team like Barcelona, work effort isn't enough to save a player's head.

Eto'o expects too much in this club. Eto'o hasn't been the same since his injury in late 2006 (I think it was). He has been unlike his previous self for 2 years. Just like Ronaldinho became a different player, just like Henry has become a different player, Eto'o has also become a different player. And he no longer suits Barcelona - he needs to go. We can't stay loyal to somebody who has done a lot in the past, when in the present he can't deliver. Some of his goals have been complete jokes. And yes, they have been useful, so I can't take anything away from him. But i just want to say that he is not the same as he used to be, and the team is CARRYING HIM, he is not carrying anything but his ego. He doesn't deserve the pichichi because you have someone like Forlan right on his tail, saving Pateti time and time again.

shadows

Guys..Leave this right now..I think we would be better off discussing who needs to leave and who shouldnt after the champions league Final is done!

S

Snyde

If we want a player who can contribute only work effort, we're better of with Olic. :lol:

Home of Barca Fans