9 - Samuel Eto'o

United

just curious, which games did you see this year apart from the chelsea games and some summaries from CL games?

Actually I've seen more than summaries from CL.

Watched both legs of the Bayern match.

Both El Classico's

Copa Del Rey Final

Those are just the matches I've seen live. Where I live, the live Spanish league matches are aired at around 1 am. So I only put up the effort only if it is a high profile match.

I do watch other Spanish football based programs that are aired in the morning time though.

There you go. I said in the beginning that you guys know more about Eto'o than I do and I did not disagree with STO-1899 when he said I should watch Iniesta more. Those under rated/over rated comments were just my observation.

Quash

Ricky Martin clone
i mean the amount of shit E2 got over the past few weeks and the underestimation of CR talents cause he whine/dive a lot (still an awesome player ) could come back to bite those E2 doubters & CR underestimating clan

i mean what u guys do if E2 scored the 2 winning goals in the final ? or if CR scored a hatrick and Messi did nothing ?

I was never one of those that underestimated CR7 so that's out of the question. If Eto'o scores, w00t, awesome, i'd have his children, but i'd still want him to leave at the end of the season because it doesn't erase his performances over the last couple of months. As much of a heartless fuck as that makes me seem it's just my opinion. Messi doing nothing is a notion i'm sadly entertaining, because if United triple-mark him like Chelsea did he won't get one sniff of the ball :sad:

Last edited:

Quash

Ricky Martin clone
I was actually gutted they were on at the same time because that QF looked like an absolute cracker.

United

:lol:

Sorry man, i automatically assumed that you watched the summaries since it was played at the same time as Chelsea/Liverpool

Chelsea/Pool? Bah honestly, that was the umpteenth time those two were playing against each other in the CL. Also I can see them play on the league, so a Pool/Chelski match did not interest me much. I did regret not watch the match live though. :lol:

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
i mean the amount of shit E2 got over the past few weeks and the underestimation of CR talents cause he whine/dive a lot (still an awesome player ) could come back to bite those E2 doubters & CR underestimating clan

i mean what u guys do if E2 scored the 2 winning goals in the final ? or if CR scored a hatrick and Messi did nothing ?

see, I'll be fine.

I've not downplayed eto'o's skills, because that's silly. all I said is that his weaknesses are starting to become more intrusive than his strengths. and this isn't me saying this as a result of a bad run of form, I was saying this last summer (and, indeed, the summer before). fair play to sammy he's continued to bang them in but he has also continued to have the same weaknesses. he shows no signs of getting over those particular humps which is why I'd like him to move on. our CL success this year is in spite of him.

and then I constantly laugh at the crazy dismissive attitude people on this forum have of ronaldo. he's an absolutely amazing player and we should just hope he doesn't feel the need to prove it in rome.

beef-supreme

Or

01.jpg

Whoa that was many years ago, and yet he still looks much the same!

beef-supreme

my fear is you lose 3-2 with 2 E2 goals and 2 CR goals for Man U .. plenty of " it came back to bite me in the butt "

Did you say the same when Raul came up with 3 goals against Sevilla?
You apply the same logic to Raul as I do to Eto'o :thumbdown:

In any case, I've never irrationally criticised Eto'o, but I don't see him as a player fit to retire at this club, or play on any longer, because ever since his injury 2 years ago he's been a very different player.

I'll leave my Eto'o talk until the season's over though from now on.

* Plus i've never even talked about Ronaldo yet, I have my opinion that he's a great player but a good one to laugh at for his personality traits, but I'll always like him for what he did to England in the World Cup

Last edited:

MJ BarcaFan

How much of a mistake was it to leave Ronaldinho alone like that for a year too many?
He should have gone a year before he did, and he would have been considered a virtually flawless legend.

Wait a minute, I think these are sweeping statements which need clarification. Maybe it has escaped you, but FCB was close to selling Ronnie to Milan in the summer of 2007. But the deal fizzled out. Now if you say that Ronnie should have gone to Milan that year per your comments above, it's not anymore Ronnie's fault that he was not sold during that period, is it? Rather it was the Club's fault for not taking advantage of Ronnie's value at that time.

What followed after that was, Ronnie wanted to leave FCB on his own terms. Since FCB has no more leverage, it has no choice but to sell to Milan, the Club preferred by him. Otherwise, Ronnie could invoke FIFA's article 17 on Regulations for the Status and Transfer of Players which provides among other things that "any player who signed a contract before the age of 28 can buy himself out of the contract three years after the deal was signed." If that scenario happened, FCB stands not to gain as much as opposed to selling him. So FCB did the logical thing to do and sell to Milan. Ronnie even waived his commission on that transfer so that our Club could have more money out of that deal.

What are you saying? Regardless of what has transpired, Ronnie is still a Barca legend. I'm sure he remains a Cule at heart. Is there such a thing as flawless legend? I don't think so.

beef-supreme

Wait a minute, I think these are sweeping statements which need clarification. Maybe it has escaped you, but FCB was close to selling Ronnie to Milan in the summer of 2007. But the deal fizzled out. Now if you say that Ronnie should have gone to Milan that year per your comments above, it's not anymore Ronnie's fault that he was not sold during that period, is it? Rather it was the Club's fault for not taking advantage of Ronnie's value at that time.

What followed after that was, Ronnie wanted to leave FCB on his own terms. Since FCB has no more leverage, it has no choice but to sell to Milan, the Club preferred by him. Otherwise, Ronnie could invoke FIFA's article 17 on Regulations for the Status and Transfer of Players which provides among other things that "any player who signed a contract before the age of 28 can buy himself out of the contract three years after the deal was signed." If that scenario happened, FCB stands not to gain as much as opposed to selling him. So FCB did the logical thing to do and sell to Milan. Ronnie even waived his commission on that transfer so that our Club could have more money out of that deal.

What are you saying? Regardless of what has transpired, Ronnie is still a Barca legend. I'm sure he remains a Cule at heart. Is there such a thing as flawless legend? I don't think so.

I don't understand why you had to say all that because I didn't say anything opposite to that.
All I said was Ronnie was at Barcelona a year too many, and for him that extra year was a year of injuries, suffering, shame. And that if Eto'o left the same thing might just happen to him. Because an underperforming player always has a hard time at Barcelona.

I did not at any point blame Ronaldinho for his actions, his not leaving the club, not having Barca in his heart, losing/gaining the club money... I'm not blaming the club for failed negotiations. I'm not saying anything that is opposed to what you've said above.

It's just that Ronaldinho's image was permanently tainted by his last year at Barcelona, and now he's just a crap rotation (at most) player at Barcelona. Thus he is flawed. But of course he's a legend because he carried a wreck of a Barcelona side. If you look at my post in the Ronnie vs. Messi poll you'll see that I'm not biased in any way against Ronaldinho. In fact i even voted for him.

So yeah, I'm just confused as to why you had to say all that :wacko:

X.A.U

The Special One
Barca did everything for Ronnie and we were very patient with him so he can get his groove back on his own term but look where that has led us? Down a slippery slope into nothingness! I do agree it was Barca's fault not to sell him sooner rather than later. Ronnie gave a lot to Barca but it was short lived 'good' few years, can't be considered Barca's legend!

Heath Newton

sentimentality over performances.
Get real, man.The way I see it, if you're holding the team back, it needs sorting out. And What's wrong with bringing new blood, new hungry players, who can bring the team to a higher level than it is already? Rough patches are fine, but if you play like this for half a season it does not bode well.
In any case, i have no personal bias against Eto'o and I love him. I believe that he should do the honourable thing and leave at the end of the season. Then I will love him even more. As Quash said, we don't want a Raul. I think Eto'o has done an amazing job for Barcelona, and every player has to go. For the benefit of the club, a player should not be defended once he is past his prime.
i agree with both these points (even though i edited bits out of Quash's post).
it's one of the stongest points of saf to NOT be sentimental,regardless of what a player has achieved.if the manager feels you've done your bit,it's his decision to make,and sometimes being sentimental can prove detrimental.
since jim leighton was dropped after a shocker in the 3-3 1990 fa cup final,saf has (surprisingly to most united fans at the time) left bryan robson and steve bruce out of cup final sqauds when it would've been their last ever appearances,sold ince kanchelskis and hughes (fans went to his house to demand explanantions,cheeky bastards:angry:) in the same summer after we'd won nothing in 1995,and has continued to do it right until now,including letting/making roy keane go,and even leaving park out of the 18 last year in moscow.:sad:
you've all got to trust that pep knows if eto'o is worth keeping,and if he does,then trust that he's right.

he got all the space he wanted because his team just plays very defensively.
:rolleyes: i think you'll find that's a slight over exaggeration of our style.
I don't wish death on him or anything, relax :lol: He is a very good footballer.
Work rate should be more appreciated in today's game. Ask any Barça supporter, our success this season has a lot to do with our good work rate, something that was badly lacking last year :thumbdown:
is that a slight admission that to work hard is a massive part of being able to play well :hmmm:
not something i've really read that often here.:)
I've not downplayed eto'o's skills, because that's silly. all I said is that his weaknesses are starting to become more intrusive than his strengths.
i'm not disagreeing with you Meta,but he did appear to be getting to you judging by some of your comments in the match thread the other night....;)
Whoa that was many years ago, and yet he still looks much the same!
disclaimer:i AM NOT A RACIST in case anyone wants to use the next sentence against me.
don't you know the saying "black don't crack" ?

Home of Barca Fans