Adrien Rabiot

Jombi

Not realistic. No 23 year old would just throw his career in the garbage can like that. If he doesn't play for Barcelona he will look for a transfer as everybody of his age would do.

Thats not true at all. He'll be at least 25 when we can make a judgement whether he has flopped for us or not. By that time, he could have been acting very unprofessionally. He would then have to make the decision to take a huge pay cut at another club. Is he the type of person to agree to that? The vast majority of players do not accept any pay cuts from their current contracts.

I support signing him for a reasonable fee and wages, but this idea that we can just offload him easily if he flops and acts up is not realistic.

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Not realistic. No 23 year old would just throw his career in the garbage can like that. If he doesn't play for Barcelona he will look for a transfer as everybody of his age would do.

But if he is so crap as I predict he will turn out to be, who is going to buy him from us?

Trickykid

But if he is so crap as I predict he will turn out to be, who is going to buy him from us?

He's not - not even close. Have you even seen him play, Luft?
I'm with Jombi on this one - get him if the fee and or wages are decent. I'm not even afraid that we can't offload him, if he flops either. He's young, talented and would strengthen most sub top PL clubs out there. Cases like that of Arda's aren't that common.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona

He pretty much threw his France career in the garbage bin because of his ego. Some of you underrate his ability to be a massive tool and stubborn :lol:

I can definitely see him holding the club hostage and not leaving unless it's to a club on his level paying him the same or more in wages.

Dude pretty much rejected Tottenham because he believes they are beneath him lol.

Trickykid

He pretty much threw his France career in the garbage bin because of his ego. Some of you underrate his ability to be a massive tool and stubborn :lol:

I can definitely see him holding the club hostage and not leaving unless it's to a club on his level paying him the same or more in wages.

Dude pretty much rejected Tottenham because he believes they are beneath him lol.

What's wrong with that? If a tier A club comes asking, why settle for a tier B or C club?

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
He's not - not even close. Have you even seen him play, Luft?
I'm with Jombi on this one - get him if the fee and or wages are decent. I'm not even afraid that we can't offload him, if he flops either. He's young, talented and would strengthen most sub top PL clubs out there. Cases like that of Arda's aren't that common.

I have, I watched about 15 or so PSG games last season (wanted to track Mbappe) and I have to say I was not impressed with Rabiot at all and he just struck me as someone who is totally meh and not adding any value whatsoever type of player.

He has a big ego and he is not easy to please, I just fear that we will have a very hard time offloading him, not to mention those harm he is going to do to the club.

DonAK

What's wrong with that? If a tier A club comes asking, why settle for a tier B or C club?

I think that's funny, but to reply to your post above I would say the France incident is a more adequate example.

Anyway if he doesn't work out at Barca I doubt he'll go to the likes of Spurs, Roma, Arsenal. He'll probably have a very high value of himself with his mom whisping in his ear and won't leave unless to a Barca-tier club, or Barca tier wages which then again, only Barca-tier clubs can afford.

Rabiot is a double-edged sword.

Character issues is a matter that should be taken seriously IMO, and which is my biggest knock on Rabiot and why he shouldn't be signed.

Trickykid

I have, I watched about 15 or so PSG games last season (wanted to track Mbappe) and I have to say I was not impressed with Rabiot at all and he just struck me as someone who is totally meh and not adding any value whatsoever type of player.

He has a big ego and he is not easy to please, I just fear that we will have a very hard time offloading him, not to mention those harm he is going to do to the club.

Most people (aside from the Barcaforum footballing experts of course) rate him highly, and acknowledges his very apparent talent. I can understand wariness in regards to his mentality and his mother's negative influence, no doubt, but I still believe this could be a risk worth taking.

I think that's funny, but to reply to your post above I would say the France incident is a more adequate example.

Anyway if he doesn't work out at Barca I doubt he'll go to the likes of Spurs, Roma, Arsenal. He'll probably have a very high value of himself with his mom whisping in his ear and won't leave unless to a Barca-tier club, or Barca tier wages which then again, only Barca-tier clubs can afford.

Rabiot is a double-edged sword.

Character issues is a matter that should be taken seriously IMO, and which is my biggest knock on Rabiot and why he shouldn't be signed.

Still, refusing lesser clubs (especially so, when they're inferior to the one you're already at) in favor of clubs like Barça is perfectly reasonable in my eyes.
Out of curiosity, can you name me a handful of pIayers of Rabiot's age group and talent/status who have preferred to ride the bench over a number of seasons just to collect the pay checks, instead of seeking football at other clubs?

I very much agree with the last part, but weighing the negatives against the positives, I still think it ends up in favor of a signing.

DonAK

Still, refusing lesser clubs (especially so, when they're inferior to the one you're already at) in favor of clubs like Barça is perfectly reasonable in my eyes.
Out of curiosity, can you name me a handful of pIayers of Rabiot's age group and talent/status who have preferred to ride the bench over a number of seasons just to collect the pay checks, instead of seeking football at other clubs?

I very much agree with the last part, but weighing the negatives against the positives, I still think it ends up in favor of a signing.

I don't find it unreasonable to reject Tottenham, although the way he thinks is something I just find funny. Not many that are that outspoken.

Anyway it would be hard for me to find players of that level being willing to ride the bench to collect paychecks, but I also have no other example of a player willing to forego his International Career because

1. He found the weather in a friendly too cold to be playing in and complained about that which soured his relationship with the Fra NT staff and
2. Just because he was not in the initial 23-man squad for the WC, when he insists he doesn't want to play as a DM. France had better CMs than Rabiot and chose to select players that actually are DMs and want to play that position without any demands.

Only Rabiot. One of a kind.

I can see why it's intriguing to sign him and if we do I won't be here posting that he's trash every week, I would happily want him to prove me wrong and have me eat some humble pie, but I have my worries.

Leo_Messi

People are talking like the magnitude of QSG is even remotely similar to that of Barça. Rabiot would not be able to even pull such "stunts" off at Barça. Vidal (a much more controversial and accomplished figure) tried a few months ago but he was quickly put in his place and now only praise comes out of his mouth. 99,9% of all players, no matter how talented and troubled they are, tend to calm down and tend to be humbled significantly when signing for Barça. There are plenty of recent examples of that and Rabiot is far from the worst case that the club has been interested in lately.

Rabiot probably is a bit immature. He remains relatively young. He will start from scratch. A new country, club, new teammates, city etc.

Anyway judging from numerous QSG players, they actually seems to be praising Rabiot. Just take a look at what Meunier had to say about Rabiot. It does not seem to me that he is disliked or a troubled character. I just think that he has grown way too tired of QSG and France. As I wrote he has already done everything in France. Not once or twice but several times. Won everything there is to win not once or twice but several times. Proven his worth. There is nothing else for him to do other than winning the CL which is doubtful that QSG will do anytime soon although they are my dark horse this year.

This IS a low risk deal.

Last edited:

Arizona Scott

Leo_Messi, glad to have some balance. Some things need to be repeated as well. QSG is run my middle aged arrogant children, as is the French national team. Rabiot acted like a spoiled child as well, but of these three only one of them is 23, with something to prove and a good chance to grow. Neymar is late 20s and still a tool, but he also helped Barca. Not comparing their talent, but I think Rabiot is more likely to become a bit more mature after these humbling and ugly (by multiple sides) events.

The bottom line is there is a 80 million player available for 10 million and some slightly inflated wages. He also plays where Barca needs length, range, skill and youth--and there are very few of those players out there. Compared to deals for players with his skill and upside that are 70-80 mil range (look at Kieta, Fred and Jorginho sales--none who has achieved at the level of Rabiot; price qutoed for Milinkovic-Savic, 150 release clauses for Koke and Saul)--this would be such a bargain.

BTW over 20 players in the EPL make over 10 year, this include Fred, Sterling, Ozil (double that), Mkhitaryan, Mahrez, Lacazette, Gundogan, Fabregas, Mata and Kepa. Yes there would be a market for Rabiot at 26-27 if he is just "so-so" or even more a flop like Cesc at Barca (Barca got their $ back for him and he wasn't on a free). This is a relatively low, risk high reward situation.

serghei

Well, we had clubs who paid us 70m. for Mina and Digne, two subs who barely played for us. Rabiot is a highly rated player. Even if he doesn't make it as a starter, he probably will be able to fill in as a squad player and provide us with options. Remember, this is a player we get for a relatively low sum overall, due to him being a free agent.

Let's add numbers. We'll sign him for 10m. bonus + 10m. salary for 5 years. That's 60m. in total. Every decent player, and I mean decent, not like Rabiot who's a very good player and who played a lot for PSG as a starter, is upwords of 30m nowadays, minus some exceptions. So, the money involved in the Rabiot deal overall is the kind of money you'd spend for a squad player at a team like Barca, maybe even lower than that, because both us and Madrid have subs who were more expensive investments than what Rabiot is gonna be. 30m. transfer fee, + 5m. per year for 5 years.

The Rabiot deal would be worth 20m. more than what we got for Digne, and that's considering he stays with us for 5 years.

Now, someone like Rabiot won't stay without playing for 5 years. That's crazy. He's a proud player, arrogant. Would never accept to basically rub the bench just to collect a bit more than he would get someplace else. Rubbing the bench and staying at a club for all your prime basically just to be paid some money is not the type of behavior very proud players show. Not playing, being in the stands, these sort of things are very hard to accept for players who think about themselves as being great. It's the sort of humiliation only the dudes who know they're shit would accept.

Chances are Rabiot would be easy to ship out if he doesn't confirm. In this case, we make a nice profit. I don't think he'll be worse than Digne or Mina. Come on, he's a much better player. But there is also a considerable chance that he makes it here.

Arrogance in sports is not always a bad thing.

I don't find it unreasonable to reject Tottenham, although the way he thinks is something I just find funny. Not many that are that outspoken.

Anyway it would be hard for me to find players of that level being willing to ride the bench to collect paychecks, but I also have no other example of a player willing to forego his International Career because

1. He found the weather in a friendly too cold to be playing in and complained about that which soured his relationship with the Fra NT staff and
2. Just because he was not in the initial 23-man squad for the WC, when he insists he doesn't want to play as a DM. France had better CMs than Rabiot and chose to select players that actually are DMs and want to play that position without any demands.

Only Rabiot. One of a kind.

I can see why it's intriguing to sign him and if we do I won't be here posting that he's trash every week, I would happily want him to prove me wrong and have me eat some humble pie, but I have my worries.

I actually feel there is room in the squad for some players who speak in a bolder fashion, with a bit of a more feisty personality. That has been missing since Alves left imo. If Rabiot backs that up on the field and doesn't go Zlatan mode, he'll be one of the players I'll like in this team.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans