Adrien Rabiot

George_Costanza

With that logic, maybe Rakitic is already sad because Suarez is earning 17M, and a benchwarmer Coutinho is at 14M and he is at 7,5M Net.

Jordi Alba is at 5,8M Net.
A new kid, who never plays, Malcom, is at 5,2M Net.

Ter Stegen has the same wage as Malcom.
And Vidal is earning almost twice as much.

Half of wages in our team are not fair.
That's reality.

How will you solve these problems from above, George?
Rakitic is sad.
Alba is sad.
Mats is sad.

Malcom is earning too much.
Coutinho is earning too much.
Vidal is earning too much.

Please, solve it and make our players happy and make all wages fair.

First, let me clarify what you implied above or misunderstood from my post. I'm NOT advocating a flat salary! This will create even more issues, not sure where I said anything about equal pay. I'm not a communist.

Suarez was the best striker in the world when we bought him. Won PFA player of the year award and European Golden Shoe. Why in the world do you think Raki should earn anything close to Suarez? Relative income doesn't work here because you are comparing apples to oranges.

Second, who said I agree with some of the salaries you mentioned above? Is what Barca doing normal in this market? The answer is NO. We are becoming just like PSG, they are inflating players prices and we are inflating players salaries. Both examples of bad management decisions. However, PSG can afford to make those poor decisions and open its hefty wallet, but we can't, not for long anyway.

From your post, you did acknowledge the problem and said let us continue inflating salaries because so and so players got that much, why not continue with this bad practice.

BBZ8800

From your post, you did acknowledge the problem and said let us continue inflating salaries because so and so players got that much, why not continue with this bad practice.

The point of my post is that salaries in one team will never be 100% fair.

1) contract signed preNeymar and postNeymar
2) whether you come for free or from a club
3) whether your wage in a former club was 2M or already 7-8M (or whatever number) for Rabiot

While Im not sure where you got those numbers , interestingly enough 2/3 you mentioned that are 'sad' (Rakitic and Alba) have already been asking for contract extension and a raise.

Yes, they asked for a raise because they are sad because other players (some squad players) are earning as much as them, or way more.

Here are our wages, you can find them on every corner of the internet:
PLAYER AGE WEEKLY WAGE DEAL CONTRACT LEFT
Marc-André ter Stegen 26 £90,000 2022-06-30
Jasper Cillessen 29 £55,000 2021-06-30
Gerard Piqué 31 £165,000 2019-06-30
Clement Lenglet 23 £70,000 New signing 2023-06-30
Samuel Umtiti 24 £75,000 New deal 2023-06-30
Marlon 22 £20,000 2020-06-30
Jordi Alba 29 £100,000 2020-06-30
Thomas Vermaelen 32 £55,000 2019-06-30
Nélson Semedo 24 £75,000 New signing 2022-06-30
Sergio Busquets 30 £180,000 2021-06-30
Sergi Samper 23 £10,000 2019-06-30
Ivan Rakitic 30 £130,000 2021-06-30
Arthur 22 £60,000 New signing 2024-06-30
Arturo Vidal 31 £165,000 New signing 2021-06-30
Rafinha 25 £60,000 2020-06-30
Carles Alena 20 Promoted (Barca B) 2022-06-30
Sergi Roberto 26 £70,000 2019-06-30
Philippe Coutinho 26 £240,000 2023-06-30
Denis Suarez 24 £60,000 2020-06-30
Ousmane Dembele 21 £220,000 New signing 2022-06-30
Malcom 21 £90,000 New signing 2023-06-30
Lionel Messi 31 £500,000 2021-06-30
Luis Suárez 31 £290,000 New deal 2021-06-30
Paco Alcacer 24 £90,000 2021-06-30
Munir EL Haddadi 22 2019-06-30

Arizona Scott

Rabiot's reported wage will be slightly less than Vidal or Busquets. Is that a slight premium because it is on a free and because it is post the Neymar/Countinho/Dembele transactions, perhaps.
But it isn't Ozil, Alexis Sanchez, De Bruyne or Pogba type wage.

But go look at Mahrez's (13mil) or Jorginho (9mil) and factor in 70 & 60 mil fees on top. That is the big boy market.

Alba should get a moderate raise (though defenders generally earn less) and Rakitic a small one. Alba has Barca by the balls if he wants.

Coutinho's is out of whack but it was the club that agreed to it--I don't think the other players hold it against PC and they understanding timing is everything.

Personally George, yes I have thought for a while Rabiot at the steep discount (which I severely doubted PSG would ever do) or on a free has been a good option for a while. Busi and Raki turn 31 this year and Vidal turns 32. There is a need to bring defensive reinforcements and/or box to box midfielders. Rabiot is is quite young and has outstanding skills, one of the few of his age who I think there is a much better than 50/50 chance he has the skills and technique to adapt to Barca. The question with him is attitude--both with the French team and PSG--but that has a better chance to turn around in a 23 year old who wants to prove his nation and former club wrong than a lesser skilled player with a better attitude all of a sudden turning it up 2 notches in technique. Barca is a very hard team to play for and contribute. If I think back to the summer 6 expensive midfielders moved, Fabinho, Kieta, Jorginho, Mahrez, Lemar, Fred & Goretska. From reports we took our shot at the latter--but it was players choice and he decided to stay in Germany for a deal like being discussed for Rabiot. Take out Lemar or Mahrez because they are more wingers if for Barca (we would have the Coutinho problem with Mahrez and Lemar clearly plays wide). Fred and Kieta have so far flopped. Now with hindsight perhaps had we picked up Fabinho or Jorginho it would have taken up some need for Rabiot, but the board didn't, and we have the benefit of hindsight. It could have been Fred or Kieta which I will tell you I have been much more impressed by Rabiot to date. So compared to say a buyout for Koke or Saul (150mil each), or that kind of range for Eriksen (who while being a great player doesn't really help the athletic/defensive make up of Barca's midfield), or crazy $ to try to get Kante (proven at a top level) or Milinkovic-Savic (not looking as good this summer on), Rabiot on a free looks better and better even with a Arturo Vidal esk wage.

Newcomer

About Rabiot, most of PSG fans were thinking his wage demands were highly exaggerated for a player of his class. He is not world class yet but do want the salary of one.

Regarding his chances at Barca, i think he will never be a world beater but he can be a solid squad player a la Paulinho. He has no real great strength but is average/good in everything. Thus, if he puts in efforts, he will be good and useful. If he has not the right mindset, he will be average in everything he does and you'll hate him. Being has proud as he is, i do think that he will be highly motivated to prove his doubters wrong. Think he will start very strong at Barca but can become complacent afterwards when he will think that he deserves a better role in the team. This is a guy that was complaining about running (as a defensive midfielder) because Neymar wasn't running enough for his liking. Messi is better than Neymar of course, but this is the same situation as one of your midfielder saying that Messi should run more.

All in all, i think it is an excellent business deal from Barcelona. He is highly rated so, even if he fails at Barcelona, he will be sold easily to those idiots in Premier League. When you think that Digne is like a god at Everton, there is no risk with Rabiot. For PSG, giving him those wages would not have been great business though since he is from academy so you shouldnt overpay but losing him on free is really terrible.

Mind you, the last 3 good academy players of PSG that went abroad are Coman, Rabiot, Zagadou (Guendouzi left too soon) got us 0 € while they are worth prolly more than 100 M€. And this year we also lost Claudio Gomes to City : he said he is going there for playing time (hahaha ! PSG is playing his youth way more than City and they are alredy talking about shipping him on loan or something) and he will net them money while they did nothing to develop him... Sad state of affairs for academy work that isnt rewarded (you did great business for Todibo but it really sucks for a club like Toulouse that will get no reward for their work, while Barca that did nothing will reap the dividends).

Last edited:

Jombi

Rabiot's reported wage will be slightly less than Vidal or Busquets. Is that a slight premium because it is on a free and because it is post the Neymar/Countinho/Dembele transactions, perhaps.
But it isn't Ozil, Alexis Sanchez, De Bruyne or Pogba type wage.

If Rabiot gets 19m euros gross (10m euros net), thats the same as Pogba's wage at Man U.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Regarding his chances at Barca, i think he will never be a world beater but he can be a solid squad player a la Paulinho. He has no real great strength but is average/good in everything. Thus, if he puts in efforts, he will be good and useful. If he has not the right mindset, he will be average in everything he does and you'll hate him. Being has proud as he is, i do think that he will be highly motivated to prove his doubters wrong. Think he will start very strong at Barca but can become complacent afterwards when he will think that he deserves a better role in the team. This is a guy that was complaining about running (as a defensive midfielder) because Neymar wasn't running enough for his liking. Messi is better than Neymar of course, but this is the same situation as one of your midfielder saying that Messi should run more.

This is truly incredible. I said I will give him the benefit of doubt here but man, I am just hoping that we can sell him for a decent profit in a couple of years.

Jombi

This is truly incredible. I said I will give him the benefit of doubt here but man, I am just hoping that we can sell him for a decent profit in a couple of years.

Only the top 10 richest clubs in the world can afford that type of wage. Exactly which top team will be willing to make Rabiot their best paid player AFTER he flops for us?

Newcomer

Only the top 10 richest clubs in the world can afford that type of wage. Exactly which top team will be willing to make Rabiot their best paid player AFTER he flops for us?

Premier League clubs. With the TV rights, they can afford those wages, he is still young. If he fails at Barça, they'll try to offload him after 2 years so 25 year old. He has a lot of experience in big european clubs and Champions League. If he fails at Barça, i could see him at a club like Tottenham seeking a bargain on the transfert fee. They took our fringe players like Aurier and Lucas Moura and were happy with it. Rabiot has a better profile than those two.

Rabiot is best suited for that league anyway, imo.

Btw, i see a lot of criticism about Rakitic. You have to know that Rabiot is a very safe player at PSG. Maybe he will change under a new coach at Barcelona but he is not the type of player that seeks those key passes or long balls. He is pretty bad at it. He will more than often chose the short and safe pass. The biggest criticism i would say about his passing game is he is the anti Motta. Motta used to pick those laser passes in one or two touches that can beat the enemy pressing. Rabiot tends to touches the ball more. So, sometimes, he fails to find those angles for the killing passes before it is getting shut down. This is why, since Motta decline, our midfield is so bad. Only Verratti can work his magic when he is not injured or suspended. Physically, Rabiot is reliable. Never injured, can stand his ground against any physical player and has a rather good first touch.

Regarding his character, he is professional. He wont pull what Dembélé has been doing (not turning up for training or even go AWOL as he did in Dortmund to get his transfer). If you can satisfy his demands (basically playing time, his position on the pitch and his salary demands), he will be a model player and teammate. And i really think that he went to Barcelona for the money of course but also because he wants to prove himself. He could have taken the money at Paris too so he must be very motivated, contrary to Arda Turan in his time.

Last edited:

Jombi

Premier League clubs. With the TV rights, they can afford those wages, he is still young. If he fails at Barça, they'll try to offload him after 2 years so 25 year old. He has a lot of experience in big european clubs and Champions League. If he fails at Barça, i could see him at a club like Tottenham seeking a bargain on the transfert fee. They took our fringe players like Aurier and Lucas Moura and were happy with it. Rabiot has a better profile than those two.

Rabiot is best suited for that league anyway, imo.

Will they be willing to give a Barca flop the same as their icon Harry Kane and 2.5 times as much as their second best paid player, Hugo Lloris? It would be a radical departure from their wage structure.

Newcomer

In two years time, the wage can change greatly. They got their new stadium money coming. And they were in for him at like 7 M if he was interested in.
Also, Rabiot wont stand being on the bench years after years so he will look for the way out.

The guy is proud. The FFF (national team federation) president tried many times to pull a mediation between Rabiot side and Deschamps, saying Rabiot should be forgiven. However, Rabiot never tried and how no intention to ask for forgiveness. He is said to be waiting for Deschamps sacking to try and come back in France team.

There is no absolutely no way, he will just rot during 5 years.

Newcomer

There is one thing you dont take into account : even a bad player at Barcelona or Real Madrid has that special appeal.

Morata didn't break the charts at Madrid but still went for 80 M. Mina, Digne and Gomes are showing that you can be fringe or even unwanted players at Barça and be class in Premier League.

Clubs will just think "well ok, he is not Barcelona quality or couldn't fit the specific playstyle, but he would still be a starter for my club". Maxwell was on the bench at Barça and will go down as one of the best left back in PSG history (we are notoriously weak in those areas even in our best period in the 90s). Lo Celso was squad player at PSG and looks class in la Liga. A definite starter at PSG during high level CL ties, even if he was lacking in a some areas, will always have some value over the Premier League. They have too much money for their own good.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire

Well, hopefully he will have a rude awakening that he will accept salaries that fit his ability, not his ego.

Jombi

There is one thing you dont take into account : even a bad player at Barcelona or Real Madrid has that special appeal.

Morata didn't break the charts at Madrid but still went for 80 M. Mina, Digne and Gomes are showing that you can be fringe or even unwanted players at Barça and be class in Premier League.

Clubs will just think "well ok, he is not Barcelona quality or couldn't fit the specific playstyle, but he would still be a starter for my club". Maxwell was on the bench at Barça and will go down as one of the best left back in PSG history (we are notoriously weak in those areas even in our best period in the 90s). Lo Celso was squad player at PSG and looks class in la Liga. A definite starter at PSG during high level CL ties, even if he was lacking in a some areas, will always have some value over the Premier League. They have too much money for their own good.

I get what you are saying, but would Tottenham pay Rabiot more than what De Bruyne, Hazard and Aguero are getting now? I just dont see it happening. Rabiot at 19m euros gross a year would be a top 5 highest earner in the EPL even a year from now most likely.

Newcomer

I get what you are saying, but would Tottenham pay Rabiot more than what De Bruyne, Hazard and Aguero are getting now? I just dont see it happening. Rabiot at 19m euros gross a year would be a top 5 highest earner in the EPL even a year from now most likely.

I think that Rabiot will try to move if he knows he has no future at Barcelona.

He will negociate the best salary possible of course and maybe a signing fee that will cover the loss in salary.

Home of Barca Fans