Alex Song

karthik

i think 'meh' is the perfect word to describe him and his performance.

he dind't mess up, made some good tackles, overall good. but on the other hand he looks a bit akward and slow with his thinking and doesn't release the pass very quickly. some of his harder passes he tried to make were just so bad. but he is still 'meh'

Accepted. He looked slow and robotic for my eyes. The passes and stats tells us a different story.

Jaguar

Flair Trait
I'd say his best game was when he came on the last few minutes against Real Madrid in SS, he looked sharper with his passes, for some reason whenever he tries a medium difficulty ball it comes off pretty crap.

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
Surely he is no Busquets, but he had a very good match... Sometimes he gets caught out of position, but nothing to worry about. And he's still finding his way into the team, so this two games against Celtic are going to be perfect for him...

hellsangel1

If Mascherano couldn't make it as a DM at Barca than Alex Song definitely doesn't have much of a chance.

We all know Mascherano is a far superior player in terms of technique, skill and speed but even he stuck out like a sore thumb in Barca's midfield. We could have made better use of 19m by actually going for a player that was a priority (for example a CB) or if want a DM we'd be better equiped with putting Masch there or atleast going for someone who was more technically adept.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Definitely some bad blood between Song & Samu it seems...Anyone able to weigh in on this at all?...Eto'O talked to Canal+ stating he's among the best in the world while Alex isn't even among the best in Cameroon...Big time diss, seems personal

zanela

I will say this, he looked much comfortable and at ease in central midfield than further back. However, as has been said, his initiation of attacks, and ball circulation is slow per barca standards.

Tomchin

Definitely some bad blood between Song & Samu it seems...Anyone able to weigh in on this at all?...Eto'O talked to Canal+ stating he's among the best in the world while Alex isn't even among the best in Cameroon...Big time diss, seems personal
Quite arrogant from Samu. Anyway, Eto'o refuses (or has refused) to play for the Cameroonian NT, maybe it's because a disagreement between him and some other NT-players (Song being one of them?). No idea what the disagreement could be about though ;)

AvocadoCake

Eto'o (Anzhi): "Let's not compare me with Song. I'm one of the best players in the world. Song's not among the best in Cameroon." [canal+]

wow... sounds like arrogance to me more than a personal feud but who knows...

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure if I believe that quote. But in essence it doesn't make sense to compare them. What do they have in common? Both are from Cameroon? woow

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
No I think there's some bad blood between the two, didn't they recently have to have some sort of meeting ahead of ANC qualifications to clear the air too?

DennyCrane

No I think there's some bad blood between the two, didn't they recently have to have some sort of meeting ahead of ANC qualifications to clear the air too?

They have a history.
Song was sidelined at the 2010 WC because of a dispute with Eto'o. They were mainly accusing each other of indiscipline and sabotaging the team - Song got the short end of the stick.
After that, there was bad blood between them since the 2010 WC mostly due to Cameroons' performance there.

Prior to the African Cup of Nations qualifier vs Senegal it nearly went to a fist-fight.

2011, Song was fined one million CFA francs (about £1,350) after a CFF disciplinary hearing heard that he had refused a reconciliatory handshake from Eto'o.

The players appeared to have made peace before the African Cup of Nations qualifier against Cape Verde but Eto'o is adamant that there has been no major reconciliation.
Reports suggest that Song had tried to steal the national captaincy from Eto'o.

EDIT: Sources:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/etoo-song-not-even-among-235500672--sow.html
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jun/26/arsenal-alex-song-cameroon-samuel-etoo
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/26062011/58/world-football-cameroon-fine-song-eto-o-snub.html

Last edited:

Papabeef

I was almost unpleased to know we were signing Song last summer, since i watch Arsenal and African national Football and know him a bit i felt his sluggish unnecessary fouls would cost us a lot.

Match after match he proves me wrong and i couldnt be happier!

As DM tonight versus Rayo Song was brilliant! Pressure them all the time to regain possession or disrupt their flow, and i said in the motm thread Songs passing is rapidly becoming "Barca Certified"

Good stuff!! :barca scarf:

E

estranged

Yea good game. He looks much more comfortable (and useful) at DM. Would surely provide a good alternative to Busquets against certain opponents.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Song was very good tonight. Rayo pressed our midfielders but Song was cool and rarely made a bad move. If he continues to adapt like this, I have no doubt he'll turn out a big success for Barca.

Home of Barca Fans