Alex Song

Gervinho

Play a guy that has played 7 years as midfielder as a central defense, get angry at him when he plays like a poor center half.....yep that makes sense

e28makaveli

This is huge good news for Barca. Now, as soon as Tito figures out that Busquets is the #4 centerback instead of Song, then the team is deep enough to last out the year.

Del Bosque does a fantastic job picking lineups, and he knows what an asset Busquets is at CB. Song is better off subbing for Busquets or even Xavi than at CB.

+5. Appears as though a CB pick is based on physique instead of an understanding of the game, like was done in the old days were CB were typically the biggest and meanest guys on the team. Song is no CB. His defensive qualities leave a lot to be desired. For a relatively big and strong lad, he should be bossing that end of the park.

Busquets is a lot better in CB and should be next in line when we have no further replacements. But Song does not read the game well like Busquets and Masch. So if you play Busquets as CB and Song and DM, it may be a worse outcome.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Play a guy that has played 7 years as midfielder as a central defense, get angry at him when he plays like a poor center half.....yep that makes sense

I'm more angry at the guy who keeps using him as a CB and the management that either thought that Pique and Puyol don't get injured regularly or didn't care. Song makes perfect sense as a Keita replacement (even though I hate their Arsenal fetish) but there's a reason Keita wasn't used as a CB either.

F

Flavia

I'm more angry at the guy who keeps using him as a CB and the management that either thought that Pique and Puyol don't get injured regularly or didn't care. Song makes perfect sense as a Keita replacement (even though I hate their Arsenal fetish) but there's a reason Keita wasn't used as a CB either.
Precisely. I don't think anyone is mad at Song. He's doing what he can, and it's clearly not his fault. The cb spot has been an issue since Abidal first got sick. It's not new. The stubbornness in not fixing this is what makes everyone mad.

Arachnid

Precisely. I don't think anyone is mad at Song. He's doing what he can, and it's clearly not his fault. The cb spot has been an issue since Abidal first got sick. It's not new. The stubbornness in not fixing this is what makes everyone mad.

In fact, if we were to judge his contributions during yesterday's match like he was a DM, he would be MOTM: dropping back to help out the defence when Deportivo attacked, moving forward with great passing when it was our turn... the problem is that he played like he had two CB's covering his back, instead of Mascherano and a gaping hole where an actual CB should go.

So it's not a dig at Song, it's Tito the one who keeps on screwing up.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
I thought he was a bit of a mess early but settled as the match got crazier & crazier which is a credit to the player, IMO...The reality, however, is that as long as he plays at CB, he's an area where the opposition looks to exploit on the counter

I guess we should see him at DM for Celtic, I expect a great match from him

Barcilliant

+1000

So obvious we need a CB yet club mamangement look the other way. Someone must have made a bet at the club that we could win trophies without signing an additional CB. Song is a very good passer and dm but no CB.

Plip

Cardenal de Catalunya
He showed, again, he is no cb. Good cover for Busquets, but nor for cb. And Tito won't sign any cb on the winter. I hope Pique and Puyol recover and dont get injured again.

As much as I dislike Tito playing Song as a CB, which is imho. one of his annoying features - he HAS requested a CB from Zubi in January. There was a piece about it last week on sport, emd and rac 1.

I'm glad he actually sees the flaw with this position.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Not sure what they will do in the Winter market, if anything...Seems reports this week conflicted with the earlier one saying that a CB wasn't needed

Seems pretty strange...N'Koulou!

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
As has been said already, he was positionally very suspect, especially when Depor crossed the ball. One example being when they struck the post, Song should have been closer to the player, even if the defense did well in playing him offside.

ammarfcb

ze special one
this guy is not a CB and never will be. and as a DM he won't be getting more than a few cdr and busi-resting liga games.

15+35(alexis). we could have bought rooney and played him CB

Arachnid

As much as I dislike Tito playing Song as a CB, which is imho. one of his annoying features - he HAS requested a CB from Zubi in January. There was a piece about it last week on sport, emd and rac 1.

I'm glad he actually sees the flaw with this position.

But he literally said that no, he doesn't want anybody in january, just friday.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Important to take press conferences and statements like that with a grain of salt, no one is going to give a blueprint to the club plans in the media

89Norcal

We probably can't even afford a top CB at this point. I mean we COULD but the club has been trying to improve it's finances over the last couple years. Even if we did, that would mean Song and Masch would be benchwarmers. Don't want to pull a Liverpool and stick £35m+ on the bench for most the season.

We are sort of stuck with making Song or Mascherano work at CB now

Trickykid

I'll put this here in order to not pollute the motm thread:

Song without a doubt.
Xavi
Alba

Wow, seriously? Sure, his second half was solid enough, but his first half was absolutely atrocious in my eyes. He was rather sloppy when in possession, slow both of mind and body and I had at least expected he'd win a few aerial duels because of his size, but he wasn't exactly commanding here either. Perhaps I'm completely wrong here, but all in all I thought he had a shocker of a match.

Home of Barca Fans