Alex Song

dostoevskij

Mascherano can cover both the DM and CB spot (in case of an injury crisis), Song will only be a DM for us, I don't think the coaching staff can overlook this, If he leaves i'll be pretty shocked.

In theory Mascherano can cover both Dm and CB, but when was the last time he played as DM for Barca??? Im not saying i want him to go, but he will play only as CB here, and not as a starter CB i hope!

A

Adam11

I knew Song wouldn't fit in at Barcelona. I said the same thing about Hleb as well. Shame too, at Arsenal he was one of the most dominant midfielders in the premiership. Now he fills in a centre half. Granted he is playing in a bigger team and will win a trophy. But Hleb did as well, yet Hleb was quick to acknowledge he played no role in Barcelona's success. Hleb was a passenger, and so is Song.

Garrus

We lost the phyiscal battle with milan, We got bullied and hustled easily for the ball. And song could have tipped the balance in this regard, He's not technically gift as sergio, But we needed 'Physicality' more in that match, It could have made the difference.

Pepe Silvia

yup ditch the finesse for spurts and hit them with physicality. thiago can be a bulldog, song can, masch definitely can, and tello is more than pedro and alexis combined. this is one of those games where i don't play pique, he is kinda soft when it becomes a physical battle. i seriously would not mind abidal playing minutes at cb but i know that won't happen for return leg. maybe semi finals depending on his progress. we're missing the henry's, yayas, eto'os, abidals. to an extent keita. intimidating physical presences that we don't have (aside from puyol, how sad is that). we have to get into an all out war and adapt in 2nd leg or we will suffer even more.

dostoevskij

I knew Song wouldn't fit in at Barcelona. I said the same thing about Hleb as well. Shame too, at Arsenal he was one of the most dominant midfielders in the premiership. Now he fills in a centre half. Granted he is playing in a bigger team and will win a trophy. But Hleb did as well, yet Hleb was quick to acknowledge he played no role in Barcelona's success. Hleb was a passenger, and so is Song.

i dont think Hleb and Song have much in common, except their Arsenal background. Its way to early to judge Song as a passenger, he is already adepting,so give him one more season and we will see whos right :)

yup ditch the finesse for spurts and hit them with physicality. thiago can be a bulldog, song can, masch definitely can, and tello is more than pedro and alexis combined. this is one of those games where i don't play pique, he is kinda soft when it becomes a physical battle. i seriously would not mind abidal playing minutes at cb but i know that won't happen for return leg. maybe semi finals depending on his progress. we're missing the henry's, yayas, eto'os, abidals. to an extent keita. intimidating physical presences that we don't have (aside from puyol, how sad is that). we have to get into an all out war and adapt in 2nd leg or we will suffer even more.

Well we have Puyol, Song and Abidal (soon). But yeah, we can definitely use a few more players like that.
Btw, how good is Hummels in that regard? He'd be an awesome purchase if he has physicality.

Theconomist

Well we have Puyol, Song and Abidal (soon). But yeah, we can definitely use a few more players like that.
Btw, how good is Hummels in that regard? He'd be an awesome purchase if he has physicality.

Subotic is better than Hummels.
The Hummel hype needs to calm down. Hummels last season and this one to a lesser extent is basically a weaker version of Pique 09-10

desoe

Song didn't fit in? How can you know that? Song just never plays, it does not mean that he's not fitting in. It means that EVERY other player on Earth would get as much playing time as him, if he has to compete with Busquets for that position. Why do you think one of the best DM's of our generation plays as a CB for us?

Garrus

He allowed a few passes to find it's way through his area, He definitely could have done better, But was good in general.

dostoevskij

Very solid game, good passing, a few important interceptions. At some moments his positioning was not perfect, but still satisfied with his performance
AND he adds a phyiscal presence we need!!!

Boris

He's getting better. If I was Vilanova or Roura I'd definitely ask myself who do I start vs Milan. Montoya is also solid as rock!

BarcaGirl

@barcastuff
Alex Song has recovered 13 balls in the game against Sevilla, losing only 1 #fcblive [via catradio]

Not bad! :)

Home of Barca Fans