Alex Song

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
The main thing I was displeased about was him trying to be the hero by wasting chances and trying to play hollywood long balls and lobbed throughs. He also held on to the ball too much at times and in the beginning he was just passing it along the back line instead of passing it forward and going up to be available.

Stric

I'm not thrilled with Song's role or performance as CDM in this system. Personally I think he's a better fit for a role in a double-pivot. In Barca he plays as a regular CM a lot of the time. Today there was Montoya who barely attacked at all, so it was not as prominent, but with two attacking fullbacks, Barca needs a DM who'll stand right in front of the CB duo and keep things secure in the back. A DM/CB type of player, like Mascherano. To me Song seems more of a CM/DM. No team can afford to attack with 8 players at a time, not even Barcelona. Busquets is not that much defense-based either, but his quality and awareness make up for it most of the time.

Irish_Cules

He was poor today but in general he has been pretty good the last couple times he has played. He was a stupid signing but he's not to blame for that and he's doing pretty good as a squad player,

He's proving to be a mistake of a purchase, fortunately he didn't arrive at too high a fee

Actually, I think it's the opposite. He's proved to be a reliable backup to Busquets (despite his poor game today), but his price was too high.

He's not who we needed to buy, but he's been good in his role. I can see him turning out to be a decent purchase if Tito continues to use the double pivot at times (with 3 CDMs in the squad, he'll most likely always have the option).

Last edited:

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
He was bought for dual duty and he's proven useless at CB...As for DM, we've dropped points with him there so I don't see how that makes him a success there either...In his defense, it's not an easy position to adapt to for this team but you can see he is quite mechanical when trying to follow the instructions he's been given - there's nothing natural to his game as a result...I can't imagine he feels like he's adapted either

Stric

We never needed him in the first place, but that's not his fault. He was too expensive (especially comparing to Alba), but that's not his fault, either. The best games I remember him playing were very early in the season, one of which was in a Clasico (Supercopa?). He looked really promising then. Then came his spell at CB, which is obviously absurd. And since then we've barely seen him play. And what little he's played in his own position since then, I was not particularly amazed at. He wasn't bad or anything, though. His price only dropped a little, so maybe we should consider selling him and use the money for players we really need. Before his price drops further.

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
Didn't press fast enough, not aggressive enough, didn't make himself available for his teammates (just very bad positioning at times), slow...... bad game.

KhaledBarca

He was bought for dual duty and he's proven useless at CB...As for DM, we've dropped points with him there so I don't see how that makes him a success there either...In his defense, it's not an easy position to adapt to for this team but you can see he is quite mechanical when trying to follow the instructions he's been given - there's nothing natural to his game as a result...I can't imagine he feels like he's adapted either

Actually, Barcelona's record in La Liga when Song plays: 12W - 1D - 0L. Today was the 1st time he plays and we drop points!

ceefoo

When we signed him, mgmt. said they planned to use him at CB. But has he ever even played there? Even at Arsenal?

Just wondering if he is a viable option against PSG in the return leg.

Indignado

When we signed him, mgmt. said they planned to use him at CB. But has he ever even played there? Even at Arsenal?

He is a viable option at CB, which doesn't mean he's any good. And as far as I can remember he never/barely played as CB for Arsenal.

JamDav1982

If anyone at Barcelona signed him believing he could play center back then they were clueless to the extreme.

He is not good defensively and his positioning is terrible and isnt mobile enough.

His last season at Arsenal was his best when he was virtually allowed the freedom to go wherever he wanted and he showed some good passing going forward, but other players were always needed to cover for him.

Whoever scouted him and thought he would be a good CB/DM replacement should get the sack. People on this forum had a better idea of the type of player he was and his strengths/weaknesses.

impeh

Hi, its me..
he played there at arsenal a few times, and tbh wasnt that bad. But when hes played there for us he was all over the place positionally and it was painful to watch :lol:

however, him in DM and busquets at CB is an option..

JamDav1982

he played there at arsenal a few times, and tbh wasnt that bad. But when hes played there for us he was all over the place positionally and it was painful to watch :lol:

however, him in DM and busquets at CB is an option..

He was never a regular there for Arsenal and Wenger did not trust him as a center back for good reason. Wenger by his last season didnt even trust him as a DM.

Home of Barca Fans