Alex Song

MaestroXavi

The servant
Question: If the circumstances required us to start one of Song or Bartra at CB in an imp game, which one you all 'd prefer?
Depends really.
Song is a definite no no against pacier team IMO but would do well against poachers because he's tall and knows the game better than Batra.
Again emphasis on the IMO.

X

xaviniesta

well, at arsenal he had much of a free role at midfield. they had 2 defensive midfielders and song was always one of those who had the licence to bomb forward and make those risky passes that actually led him to 11 or whatever assists last season. when i saw him first XI vs valencia as pivot i was afraid that he's gonna wonder around the midfield like he used to in arsenal, but he proved me totally worng. the next league game against granada at home would be the perfect test for him at CB IMO.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
well, at arsenal he had much of a free role at midfield. they had 2 defensive midfielders and song was always one of those who had the licence to bomb forward and make those risky passes that actually led him to 11 or whatever assists last season. when i saw him first XI vs valencia as pivot i was afraid that he's gonna wonder around the midfield like he used to in arsenal, but he proved me totally worng. the next league game against granada at home would be the perfect test for him at CB IMO.
Rather play Bartra... this way we can keep Song as a Busi backup

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
I see some concerns about Song's ability of adapting to a more defensive role (DM).
Need I remind you Yaya played as CM for both Ivory Coast and Monaco before turning into DM for Barca.

Fourteen

Monster Masch
Yaya's a different beast altogether. Have every confidence in Song doing the job in any position Tito decides to play him.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Possibly Yaya's biggest strength was his football IQ. Song? Not so much...

And if anything Song started off as a DM and "matured" into a CM role when Arsenal realized he was much better at it...

Meitux

Yaya is not someone who should be isolated to only defensive works he can help also in attack and its proven, he is better than song surely

Robbie

Possibly Yaya's biggest strength was his football IQ. Song? Not so much...

And if anything Song started off as a DM and "matured" into a CM role when Arsenal realized he was much better at it...

They're both greatly improved players who weren't rated when they were younger. Didn't Yaya fail his trial at Arsenal? Song was also so clumsy as a teenager that he was booed off the pitch in what was one of the worst games I've seen from a professional footballer. I'm not sure about IQ, but they both seem very intelligent on the pitch now.

Bergkamp10

I actually think Song's best position is as a pure DM. Some of his best games for Arsenal came when he was given that role. His best ever season for us, imo, was 08/09 where he played really defensively in a 4-4-2 next to Fabregas. He's under more pressure at Barcelona so if he's told to sit and play intelligently then he will.

Song's main problem is laziness or being too complacent rather than having a low IQ. He's an intelligent footballer, just look at his assists last year.

Theconomist

I want Song to do for us what Toure does
For City. Those dominating runs from deep midfield. His potential link up with Messi could be deadly. Defence wise he should just stick to traditional DM roles.

Home of Barca Fans