Alex Song

Colin

I missed the start of the second half when the goals came, but I was thinking he was doing really well the rest of the time. I don't think we should put so much blame on CBs. Instead I think we have to accept that there are inherent defensive risks to our style. And that mistakes from our CBs look much worse because of our style. It's a very difficult position on this team, and I think both our DMs are doing a great job dealing with it. Also, I think they deserve praise for their non-defensive contributions which they're able to make throughout our games.

Good job you guys! :song: :mascherano: You keep on getting better every game.

F

Flavia

How was he at fault for the 2nd goal? That was Busquets' fault, yea Song was out of position and he could have tackled, but asking a non CB to perform a sliding tackle from behind ian situation like that is a lot, he probably would have ended up being sent off. Plus we always get in trouble whenever Busquets gets dispossessed like that.
He was playing as cb. I know he's no cb, but a real cb would've prevented that goal. That's the point.

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
It's hard to criticize him because he's being played out of position and Tito is practically throwing him to the lions... He was partially to blame on both goals, on the first as said before for losing position and the second was just horrible defending, sure Busquets and Messi should have done better, but as a CB you just don't let an striker run free towards the goal, especially since he had plenty of time of space to at least make Negredo force the shot...

e28makaveli

It's hard to criticize him because he's being played out of position and Tito is practically throwing him to the lions... He was partially to blame on both goals, on the first as said before for losing position and the second was just horrible defending, sure Busquets and Messi should have done better, but as a CB you just don't let an striker run free towards the goal, especially since he had plenty of time of space to at least make Negredo force the shot...
... and that is the problem. He ain't no CB. He is makeshift and doing darned good at that. But Mash, is mastering that role and will be better at it.

El Guaje

Was out of position alot but, its to be expected and you cant really blame him as hes not a CB. He also made a few decent tackles and won the ball back quite well. I like him in the midfield, but until we buy a CB (or everyone stays fit, unlikely) i doubt we'll see much of him there, which is a shame. Cause everyone will give him hate when hes actually a good player.

They obviously wanted to buy a CB, but the two targets it seems were martinez and silva, and we were priced out of both. I know other young defenders are rated highly on here (i havnt seen enough of them) but the club dont seem to want to spend unless its someone they are completely sure of. (probably cause of Cáceres, henrique, chygrynskiy..)

Kinda worrying as we really need a replacement for puyol, someone who's gonna be here for 5+ years and partner pique.

Ramos pls :lol: :(

As wrong as it gets. They were trying to buy Martinez (who is not a CB, just capable of playing there) and when they realized they couldnt get him, they turned to Song who is pretty much the same sh!t. If they wanted to sign a CB they would have done it, but they didnt. They might have been after Silva, yeah, but that failed. They had tons of CBs to choose from but they didnt. Instead, they go after midfielders and convert them to Cbs sigh....

SoMa

I think he did great and the first goal was a result of a bad mascherano clearance and the 2nd of a busquets mistake. You can't expect him to solve everyone elses mistakes all the time, not even the best cb in the world does that.

Gervinho

He's a centre back as much as Theo Walcott is a striker. just because a player has played centre back as a kid, doesnt mean he can play in midfield for 7 years and then go to the best team in the world and be a center back for them. Yes he has played 2-3 games as centre back for Arsenal and maybe 5-6 times he has played there last 15 mins when the team is losing and want to bring in an attacker and tell song to play center back, but also go forward and help the midfield.

No offence here, but it seems barcelona simply dont respect the position Center Back. a world class Centrer back can make huge difference and it seems barca is thinking we can get away with it as we will have 75% of the ball and teams will defend deep. This will cost barca in the end and its weird that a team thats so good can just accept to have such a flaw and not deal with it

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
He was indeed okay but he could be so much better at DM. He is great defensively but his position at CB is so poor, which is of course understandable.

The thing is, he's not really even a "pure" DM. Positioning just isn't his strength. Look at Mascherano - he spent most of his life playing DM but in Barca's unorthodox system he might as well be a CB. Even Yaya Toure, another CM but a more disciplined one, while clearly never 100% comfortable at CB was able to play there in the right circumstances because he read the game well.

Song is 25, he isn't going to reinvent himself. He's a very good midfielder who combines skill with athleticism but he's not a very tactical player even in the midfield, let alone in the backline. He clearly is uncomfortable trying to position himself as a CB, it's asinine that one of the richest clubs in the world would have to play midfielders in their backline because signing Catalans and Arsenal players meant they had no time to notice the obvious with Abidal and Puyol.

putogusiluz8

The Pale One
He ain't no damn centreback that's for sure. Despite his strength and decent tackling skills, he does look uncomfortable out there. He's a perfect replacement for Keita, so in that regard I'm not against his signing. But two experienced, natural Centrebacks is all we got? I love Masch and the job he's been doing- he's got great potential as a CB- but he is very much still learning the position, and hasn't that been exposed against tougher opponents?

We gotta hope that Pique and Puyi stay fit, and that our club wakes up and sees our shortage in defense. Winter transfer wouldn't be a bad idea.

Still, I commend Song for the balls he's been showing out there. Made some great tackles and kept his nerve.

Ohio Catalan

I'm really impressed so far. Definitely has no idea how to play CB, but he really shouldn't. For being thrown into a relatively unknown position for the best side on Earth, I'd say he's done very well. I believe what Tito, Arsene, and the other players are saying about him is true; he's a really bright football mind that isn't used to playing in such a tactical and position-dependent role, but he will adapt. I just hope for his sake that once (if ever) our injury woes on the back line clear up, he's deployed more as a utility midfielder and occasional CB.

X

xaviniesta

after that foul he made against spartak that led to yellow card, he has been way way too soft and is afraid to go into tackles. above all he needs to gain some confindence. otherwise the performance with masch yesterday was OK. nothing special, but not too much to whine either.

Arachnid

after that foul he made against spartak that led to yellow card, he has been way way too soft and is afraid to go into tackles. above all he needs to gain some confindence. otherwise the performance with masch yesterday was OK. nothing special, but not too much to whine either.

Problem is that, most of the time, he wasn't playing CB at all. I suspect that analyzing his movements last night he would spend most of the time in front of Busquets.

Now, we are a side made of midfielders, so we have to think less in terms of 4 man defense or 3 man defense and more in terms of 10 midfielders moving down to defend, so that's not too bad. Lack of a man specialized in chasing fast attackers is costing us conceding a lot during counters, however, and Tito doesn't seem able to notice that.

ammarfcb

ze special one
Ramos pls :lol: :(

di-SB64.jpg

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
The thing is that he seems a little scared of making last ditch tackles/challenges, something a CB is accustomed to... He should keep in his mind that he's the last man now, the one between opposition and the keeper and sometimes risks need to be taken, as DM you still have someone to cover your back, but not as CB... Hopefully he can catch the drift soon...

Home of Barca Fans