Alex Song

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
Vilanova: "Song can play both centre back and defensive midfielder, we'll see where he plays more. He's adapting faster than we expected."

What Vilanova is saying is that Song will be converted to CB and that he has the chance to do so because he didn't expect injrues that fast.

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
Seeing as Song is crap defensive midfielder (but a very good offensive one) then how on earth can you play him in defence!!

At least with JM he is a world class defensive midfielder so the adjustment he has made to central defence isn't huge for him.

Daemul

previously known as Jonathan28
People think Song should have tackled Negredo? :lol: You guys absolutely do not know what your talking about. If Song had tackled Negredo he would have gotten a red card and we would have been 1-0 down and down to 10-men, we would have NOT won that game with 10-men. As a defender you never take a risk like that when you are chasing the game. There's more chance of you coming back to win from 2-0 down with 11-men then 1-0 with 10-men. If we had been winning 1-0 or 2-1 then yes, Song would have risked the tackle, which by the way, would have been from behind and he would have been sent off. That's the time where you could bash him for not taking the risk, but at 1-0 down? Hell no. This is totally not factoring that it was Busquets stupidity which got Song into the awkward position to start with. What he was thinking I do not know.

hellsangel1

The thing is that he seems a little scared of making last ditch tackles/challenges, something a CB is accustomed to... He should keep in his mind that he's the last man now, the one between opposition and the keeper and sometimes risks need to be taken, as DM you still have someone to cover your back, but not as CB... Hopefully he can catch the drift soon...

Top-class CB's don't rely on last ditch tackles/challenges, they rely on their positioning and most often don't have to rely on those last ditch sliding tackles (those look great for the cameras and replays and impress the novices).

I find it amazing that you think that he should take risks when by your own reckoning 'he's the last man now between opposition and keeper', if he misses a tackle it ill be like the Adriano situation in the Super Copa where he is most likely going to get sent off. You clearly have no idea what proper defending is.

Daemul

previously known as Jonathan28
Top-class CB's don't rely on last ditch tackles/challenges, they rely on their positioning and most often don't have to rely on those last ditch sliding tackles (those look great for the cameras and replays and impress the novices).

I find it amazing that you think that he should take risks when by your own reckoning 'he's the last man now between opposition and keeper', if he misses a tackle it ill be like the Adriano situation in the Super Copa where he is most likely going to get sent off. You clearly have no idea what proper defending is.

x1000000

People saying Song should have tackled have no idea what they are talking about. If Song tackles there, we go down to 10-men, 1-0 down, no comeback.

Last edited:

hellsangel1

x1000000

People saying Song should have tackled have no idea what they are talking about. If Song tackles there, we go down to 10-men, 1-0 down, no comeback.

And that's the thing really, Mascherano positionally makes mistakes as well but he does have speed and he can recover (although positional mistakes will prove more costly against elite teams as we saw against Chelsea and Milan) but Alex doesn't really have much pace so it's more difficult for him to cope.

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!

Nobody said CB rely and last ditch tackles, I said they are accustomed to doing them when needed, which is entirely different... And why would a tackle mean a red card? Only if done improperly (like Adriano) a tackle is a red card and that's why I said it's a risk that sometimes has to be taken, surely being down to 10 man and down in the scoreline would have finished us off, but I can do the same saying that if the tackle had been successful the comeback wouldn't have been as hard as it was...

As I said earlier that it's hard to blame Song as he is not experienced in those kind of situations and he is learning, but do you think Puyol would have let Negredo take such an easy shot? Once again the comparison is unfair because we all know Song is no CB (yet) and Puyol has become a master in his craft, I'm just saying that one day or another he will have to make a hard decision and he better be ready for it...

Isaac_Cuenca23

People think Song should have tackled Negredo? :lol: You guys absolutely do not know what your talking about. If Song had tackled Negredo he would have gotten a red card and we would have been 1-0 down and down to 10-men, we would have NOT won that game with 10-men. As a defender you never take a risk like that when you are chasing the game. There's more chance of you coming back to win from 2-0 down with 11-men then 1-0 with 10-men. If we had been winning 1-0 or 2-1 then yes, Song would have risked the tackle, which by the way, would have been from behind and he would have been sent off. That's the time where you could bash him for not taking the risk, but at 1-0 down? Hell no. This is totally not factoring that it was Busquets stupidity which got Song into the awkward position to start with. What he was thinking I do not know.

:facepalm1: What on earth are you on about?

So you think that central defenders should just let forwards run past them without even attempting a tackle in case they get sent off. Did the possibility cross your mind that a defender could make a tackle and win the ball, thus preventing a goal and not get sent off

Arachnid

:facepalm1: What on earth are you on about?

So you think that central defenders should just let forwards run past them without even attempting a tackle in case they get sent off. Did the possibility cross your mind that a defender could make a tackle and win the ball, thus preventing a goal and not get sent off

Not Song. He fouls a lot.

Home of Barca Fans