Alexis Sanchez

M

Malappapper

I didn't say that but Alexis is like the anti-Messi. He goes down when he could have stayed up and maybe scored. It is infuriating.

Not to mention that he passes the ball when clean through on goal. That 1st leg AC Milan incident, when he passed the ball back to Xavi when alone against Abbiatti, I will never ever fathom.

El Guaje

Their off-the-ball movement and workrate are pretty much the same, although I still give a slight advantage to Pedro in that regard. Pedro provides great passes, assists (8 so far this season) and he shoots. Yes, he's had a goal-less streak, and he hasn't been doing well in that sense lately, but at least he shoots. Whereas Alexis, apart from his admittedly great workrate, provides none of the above mentioned. It's not about scoring goals, it's about functioning well as part of the team, and Pedro is miles ahead of Alexis in that sense. Plus, Pedro's behavior on the pitch is incomparable to Alexis. Also, Pedro can play equally well on either side, whereas Alexis is useless on the right. Most players are, though.

And you would give the advantage to pedro because...?

5 assists, we are talkin about Barcelona here, not Spain included since the NT has nothing to do with Barcelona.

Alexis offers all of the things that you mentioned bar shooting often (once again, he aint a goalscorer, never was). He does provide great passes (in case you missed it, he just provided an excellent pass to Pedro who failed to convert it), he does make great off the ball runs (better than Pedro) and he is pressing/defending as well as Pedro does. He does work well with the team too, what exactly does he miss there? Cant argue that he is better than Pedro though but he does know what to do and all that stuff, he isnt retarded. Also, based on the numbers, Alexis is just as productive as Pedro, if not more...

Yes Pedro "atleast shoots", but the thing is that he fails, that is just as "bad" as not shooting at all since it doesent result in a goal. Hes been having problems with the goalscoring for over a season now, problems that big that he barely managed to outscore a injured player. He barely finds himself in positions to score :/ Atm he just doesent to be in the starting XI. Villa should be ahead of him. Alexis, Pedro and Tello should compete for the 3rd spot.

Last edited:

Stric

Sorry about that, I got my numbers mixed up. Honest mistake. Still more assists than Alexis, though. Well, I just can't see how Alexis' passing is as good as Pedro's... And not shooting at all is WAY worse than shooting and missing. How can you even argue against that? Pedro can fit anywhere you put him in the front three and that alone gives him the advantage over Sanchez and Tello.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Just rewatched the match, I was too hard on Alexis in retrospect...He still flopped and foolishly gave away a ball that led to a Betis scoring chance but had more moments where he added to the attack than I realized...As someone else mentioned, Pedro and Adriano were worse on the night

El Guaje

Sorry about that, I got my numbers mixed up. Honest mistake. Still more assists than Alexis, though. Well, I just can't see how Alexis' passing is as good as Pedro's... And not shooting at all is WAY worse than shooting and missing. How can you even argue against that? Pedro can fit anywhere you put him in the front three and that alone gives him the advantage over Sanchez and Tello.

Haha its cool, we all mess up numbers every now and then :)

I never said which player i considered a better passer overall, just mentioned Alexis's capability.

Well, neither of failed shots and no shots att all result in a goal, its the same outcome. Cant really claim one is better than the other.

Pedro can play in all of the 3 positions yes, but does he play well? That is the important part. If he does not play well, it doesnt matter if he can play in 3,4,5 or more positions. When he is on fire, then its awesome to have a player who can play anywhere in the front 3 but when he doesent, his versatility doeent add much because it aint gonna help him to score.

Also, Alexis is awesome in the center too ;)

Paganinisrvnge

It doesn't matter if Alexis is awesome in the center because that's where Messi plays and he shouldn't be displaced for a player that has been a big disappointment so far. This Pedro/Alexis discussion is pointless anyway. Right now, Villa is better than both of them and he hasn't even been that good.

Stric

Yes, but shooting CAN result in a goal, while not shooting obviously can't. That's a huge difference in a game which is as dependent on luck as football is.

Alexis has not so far been awesome anywhere. Not for one game. While Pedro has shown streaks of brilliance. Not that anyone deserves to be played on account of their earlier success, but knowing the skills and potential the player possesses is important. At no point in his career has Alexis been better than an on-form Pedro.

El Guaje

Yes, but shooting CAN result in a goal, while not shooting obviously can't. That's a huge difference in a game which is as dependent on luck as football is.

Alexis has not so far been awesome anywhere. Not for one game. While Pedro has shown streaks of brilliance. Not that anyone deserves to be played on account of their earlier success, but knowing the skills and potential the player possesses is important. At no point in his career has Alexis been better than an on-form Pedro.

He's been awesome in some games vs Real Madrid for example.

Streaks of brilliance but just stacking up games to his non-score streak... seems legit.

You cant look on a players earlier success and expect him to start performing again outta nowhere just because of that. His capabilities are there but they are temporarily gone even though hes been playing consistently. In that case, Villa shouldve started playing in the XI as soon as he got back. Same with Alexis.

At no point has Alexis been better than Pedro... Guess you didnt follow Serie A.

As a goalscorer, Pedro is and will always be better, but overall Sanchez is the man.

Stric

You cant look on a players earlier success and expect him to start performing again outta nowhere just because of that.

Yes, you can. One does not just become a shit player overnight.

Good goalscorers sometimes have non-scoring streaks. That shouldn't be a surprise to any football enthusiast.

I know what Sanchez played like in Serie A and still, Alexis at his best is nowhere near Pedro at his best. Arguably nowhere near an average Pedro, as well.

As a goalscorer, Pedro is and will always be better, but overall Sanchez is the man.

I don't agree. Most people wouldn't, as well.

Besides, you said it yourself, you can't argue that Alexis is better than Pedro, but he can do everything Pedro does, except score. Now tell me, how does that make him better overall?

But to make one thing clear, I'm with you regarding Villa. He should've played more, in some cases instead of Pedro, absolutely.

kostasgtc

alexis is at least a valuable tool in titos hand and helps the team with his way a lot even now,but he can play to a much bigger level for sure.lets have some patience on him,he deserves it.

M

Malappapper

alexis is at least a valuable tool in titos hand and helps the team with his way a lot even now,but he can play to a much bigger level for sure.lets have some patience on him,he deserves it.

But at which is our patience allowed to run out?

Home of Barca Fans