Alexis Sanchez

K

Karnivore

Do Barcelona fans actually rate this lad? I for one think we dodged a bullet here. Ended up with Mata and Hazard instead.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't rate Hazard. And btw. Chelsea forked 40 million for him.

Will be interesting to see if Tito keeps Alexis next season. Scoring few goals vs. Segunda Division team is so far highlight of his season. Working hard goes only so far and we do have youngsters standing in line. Frankly, I'd rather see Tello, Cuenca or even Deulofeu having their run even if it means they'd be playing as bad as Alexis. At least we'd be chalking it up to their learning process.

K

Karnivore

He cost £32m, a bit less than Sanchez, and a considerably better player. Doesn't have the luxury of being surrounded by the likes of Xavi, Iniesta and Messi either, Mata aside, we're a team in heavy transition and he's still managed 7 goals and 17 assists. Speaks for itself. He'll be the one to look out for next season.

Garrus

He can score fine, I still remember his first goal against villarreal, He shot the ball into the far corner, Same thing against real betis, The 2 goal against leverkusen weren't easy also, His double against getafe, Specially the first one, Was wonderful, His double against levante, His goal against real madrid, None of these were 'cheap' goals, The guy can score, But he is having one of the worst mental blocks i've seen, And i can't wait for the day he overcomes this, Cause he'll be a beast

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Hazard - 40 millions euros.
Sanchez - 26 million + 11 million of bonuses (big question how much of those 11 million we paid as we didn't win La Liga nor CL last season).

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
Alexis plays ten minutes in a game we absolutely owned and he still gets more comments than the players who played the whole 90 minutes...

T

tariqo

no way tito will keep him , in fact i see villa stay & alexis leave next season

not good for barca & barca not good for him .

Vapor

After watching some of Alexis's plays from last year, I know for sure that there is the potential for some real quality within him. However he has been mentally blocked and mentally weak for a LONG time now... all season so far. He doesn't seem to have yet found the inner strength to overcome the voices in his head and play his true football potential, relaxed, in the moment. He definitely showed signs of being a valuable asset through his shooting and his dribbling last season, however whatever is getting to him has REALLY taken him off of his game, and the added pressure of struggling and recieving the all the criticism that comes with it must be really be getting to him.

Here is an interview with Alexis near the beggining of the season that reveals a lot about him.

Barcelona striker Alexis Sanchez gave himself five out of 10 when asked to rate his first year with the Spanish soccer giants, and said on Wednesday his best was yet to come.

Barca signed the Chile international from Italy's Udinese last year for a deal including variables that could rise to some $47million, but he has yet to really make his mark at the Nou Camp.

"We haven't seen the best of Alexis yet," the 23-year-old told a news conference.

"I am finding some form and as each game goes by I am improving a little more."

Alexis was Barca's second-highest scorer behind Lionel Messi in La Liga last season with 11 goals, but suffered a string of niggly injuries in his first campaign.

Under new coach Tito Vilanova this year, however, he has yet to score and he is struggling to make the starting 11 with competition from players such as Pedro, David Villa and youngster Cristian Tello.

"I need to get into the games more and take people on in one-on-one situations," he said.

"I know I can win a place. Step by step I am making my name here because I am Alexis. I would rate myself with a five (out of 10)."
http://en-maktoob.news.yahoo.com/alexis-sanchez-am-5-10-160428493.html

Reading this, I remembered the respect I have for this guy and think perhaps I've been a little harsh on him just because of how poorly he's been performing vs how flawlessly the rest of the team has been performing. But he's going through a mentally tough time. I love the fact that he's sober and honest and realistic about the fact that he has been a 5/10... shows humility and faith in his potential.

I'm really hoping he can snap out of it and redeem himself. It really could be Cesc 2.0 all over again... everyone on him for his bad form then he somehow pulls himself out of it and pulls himself up. I hope so, let's wait and see.

EDIT: WITH all that said, for the time being, I still MUCH prefer Villa and Tello play in important matches over Alexis, given his inability to completely snap out of his terrible form. He can get his shots at the end of unimportant games, and after we've sealed off victories in liga games, but in my opinion he should not be used at all in the Champions league as a starter. We'll need all the confidence and brilliance and goalscoring we can get. Right now David Villa offers that... he's shining bright right now. Alexis should be no more than a sub or a tactical decision in important situations IMO.

Last edited:

Co0ter

After watching some of Alexis's plays from last year, I know for sure that there is the potential for some real quality within him. However he has been mentally blocked and mentally weak for a LONG time now... all season so far. He doesn't seem to have yet found the inner strength to overcome the voices in his head and play his true football potential, relaxed, in the moment. He definitely showed signs of being a valuable asset through his shooting and his dribbling last season, however whatever is getting to him has REALLY taken him off of his game, and the added pressure of struggling and recieving the all the criticism that comes with it must be really be getting to him.

Here is an interview with Alexis near the beggining of the season that reveals a lot about him.

http://en-maktoob.news.yahoo.com/alexis-sanchez-am-5-10-160428493.html

Reading this, I remembered the respect I have for this guy and think perhaps I've been a little harsh on him just because of how poorly he's been performing vs how flawlessly the rest of the team has been performing. But he's going through a mentally tough time. I love the fact that he's sober and honest and realistic about the fact that he has been a 5/10... shows humility and faith in his potential.

I'm really hoping he can snap out of it and redeem himself. It really could be Cesc 2.0 all over again... everyone on him for his bad form then he somehow pulls himself out of it and pulls himself up. I hope so, let's wait and see.

EDIT: WITH all that said, for the time being, I still MUCH prefer Villa and Tello play in important matches over Alexis, given his inability to completely snap out of his terrible form. He can get his shots at the end of unimportant games, and after we've sealed off victories in liga games, but in my opinion he should not be used at all in the Champions league as a starter. We'll need all the confidence and brilliance and goalscoring we can get. Right now David Villa offers that... he's shining bright right now. Alexis should be no more than a sub or a tactical decision in important situations IMO.

The guy has been a class act since before he was even transfered. From saying that he'd either go to Barca or happily stay at Udinese to his interviews. I mean it's easy to be humble when you're not playing well but given his track record, I believe it's sincere. I really like Alexis but I'd have to say he's the most frustrating Barca player I've ever seen. He messes up simple passes and goals, even after doing something fantastic...he still manages to blow it some how. It's just not the goal-scoring it's his general play- it's just off. He's not even a fraction of the player he was at Udinese, and he wasn't a phenomenal finisher there either.

I hope he can turn it around but I'm not too sure about it, I had a lot of high hopes for him. He seemed like he could fit in while offering something completely different on the wing, the kid has, or had, his own unique style at Udinese....I hate this word, but swag,

Galning

He can turn it around I'm sure of it. He is just going through a hard period, that can happen. I think it's harder to fit in at Barça than people realise.
At the moment he has zero confidence and he really needs to get it back fast. Don't know how though..I guess the only way to get it back is by performing good in training & even better in matches.

FiReFTW

He can turn it around I'm sure of it. He is just going through a hard period, that can happen. I think it's harder to fit in at Barça than people realise.
At the moment he has zero confidence and he really needs to get it back fast. Don't know how though..I guess the only way to get it back is by performing good in training & even better in matches.

Its not about his confidence its that he doesnt fit in.

He lacks alot of things you need to have at barca, technique, intelligence ( or well the speed of thought, to know what to do next as fast as you can not get the ball and have no solutions ), scoring

Home of Barca Fans