Alexis Sanchez

Vapor

As a Pilate's instructor, functional fitness trainer and student of the body, I think Alexis and the training staff just really need to work on his alignment. The reason he falls so much and his balance is so off is because he just isn't properly aligned and centered, so he isn't utilizing his body in the optimal manner. Thus he starts having poor form, which leads to decreased confidence, which he can't easily fix due to his faulty movement patterns/alignment, which leads to even less confidence, and so on in the downward spiral that we see before us.

It might seem weird to blame this mostly on physical balance... but for instance look at Messi and Iniesta. They have some of the best balance I've seen and look how well it serves them. When your body is properly aligned and properly centered, your mind also becomes a lot more calm and things seem to slow down. You have much more control.

I think the training staff should really work with Alexis on this. The increase in form he would get from better body mechanics and balance would lead to greater confidence which could lead to a goal which could eventually lead to an end to all of this nightmare for Alexis.

Just my hypothesis on the subject. I could be wrong :p

Last edited:

barcanuck

As a Pilate's instructor, functional fitness trainer and student of the body, I think Alexis and the training staff just really need to work on his alignment. The reason he falls so much and his balance is so off is because he just isn't properly aligned and centered, so he isn't utilizing his body in the optimal manner. Thus he starts having poor form, which leads to decreased confidence, which he can't easily fix due to his faulty movement patterns/alignment, which leads to even less confidence, and so on in the downward spiral that we see before us.

It might seem weird to blame this mostly on physical balance... but for instance look at Messi and Iniesta. They have some of the best balance I've seen and look how well it serves them. When your body is properly aligned and properly centered, your mind also becomes a lot more calm and things seem to slow down. You have much more control.

I think the training staff should really work with Alexis on this. The increase in form he would get from better body mechanics and balance would lead to great confidence which would lead to a goal which could eventually lead to an end to all of this nightmare for Alexis.

Thank you yogi!

Stric

A small part of it maybe has to do with balance. It's not really a physical thing. He could stay up if he wanted to.

Valdivia

He reminds me of Thierry Henry in his first season, where he kept falling even when he had the ball without any pressure. Alexis's confidence is obviously low and he just needs a string of 2-3 good games to get it back.

Paganinisrvnge

I think the training staff should really work with Alexis on this. The increase in form he would get from better body mechanics and balance would lead to greater confidence which could lead to a goal which could eventually lead to an end to all of this nightmare for Alexis.

I'm sorry but as someone who is majoring in Exercise Science and aspiring to be a strength coach; this just sounds silly. At no point should balance be an issue for a professional athlete. It's pretty obvious that he goes down on his own because he doesn't feel he can do something better by staying up. It's really irritating because a lot of the times he goes down easily in areas where he could have really created a goalscoring chance but instead he just loses the ball or sometimes wins a free kick.

Vapor

A small part of it maybe has to do with balance. It's not really a physical thing. He could stay up if he wanted to.

I'm sorry but as someone who is majoring in Exercise Science and aspiring to be a strength coach; this just sounds silly. At no point should balance be an issue for a professional athlete. It's pretty obvious that he goes down on his own because he doesn't feel he can do something better by staying up. It's really irritating because a lot of the times he goes down easily in areas where he could have really created a goalscoring chance but instead he just loses the ball or sometimes wins a free kick.
I'm not talking about his diving. Yes I agree that is mental and intentional. I'm talking more about his balance in general and how he always slips and falls even when not in the box. Balance SHOULDN'T be an issue for a professional athlete but when I look at Sanchez I definitely see room for improvement. Again it's just a theory though, I'm just going on what I can gather from watching on TV. It could be just a mental thing but I do think working on his alignment would help him.

Yeah, nice theory...I'm curious about Pilates, know little about it
Pilates is great. It's focus is primarily on building core strength and perfecting posture, alignment and balance within the body. It's probably one of the reasons why Puyol is such a beast :p If you're interested I'd definitely recommend looking into it and/or taking a class, you feel amazing afterwards.

Stric

I'm not talking about his diving. Yes I agree that is mental and intentional. I'm talking more about his balance in general and how he always slips and falls even when not in the box. Balance SHOULDN'T be an issue for a professional athlete but when I look at Sanchez I definitely see room for improvement. Again it's just a theory though, I'm just going on what I can gather from watching on TV. It could be just a mental thing but I do think working on his alignment would help him.

Pilates is great. It's focus is primarily on building core strength and perfecting posture, alignment and balance within the body. It's probably one of the reasons why Puyol is such a beast :p If you're interested I'd definitely recommend looking into it and/or taking a class, you feel amazing afterwards.

I get what you're saying, but I think that all his diving, slipping and falling down is just his own way of dealing with things. I don't think there's more than maybe 5% of physical influence there.

Vapor

I get what you're saying, but I think that all his diving, slipping and falling down is just his own way of dealing with things. I don't think there's more than maybe 5% of physical influence there.
Yea that's probably true. He really doesn't seem too mentally strong. Maybe a good sports psychologist could help him get over it if he can't snap out of it himself. Or maybe just a couple goals will do the trick, who knows.

I've never thought that he was a GREAT player, or even good enough for Barca tbh, but last season he was still a hell of a lot better than he is now. Whatever is in his head is really messing him up, no doubt.

Stric

I'm not sure if the coaches or other players are saying anything directly about it to him, but I think that he needs to be told that everytime he dives, it's frowned upon, not viewed as an intelligent way to get a foul called or whatever. FFS, just tell him, plain and simple - DO NOT DIVE. It's not helping. The first time you dive, you just scheduled yourself a beating by the entire team in the dressing room. :lol: The second time, you're subbed. End of story. There's no way he would be doing it as much as he is if he was explicitly told not to do it by the authorities. Why don't they just man up and tell him to cut the crap. He's doing nobody a favor by kissing the grass 90% of the time he's on the pitch.

Fishdoll

Bakalao
Oops, my bad. Please don't do what Pepe thratens and dip me in thai sauce! The prison stripes all seem to look alike to me.

Home of Barca Fans