André Gomes

Jombi

i find it funny that you're saying Roberto is better than Masche as DM

Masche played DM against: Man City, Real Madrid, Villareal, Valencia. These teams can even make Busquets crap his pants at times.
And yet most of times he was good and in some of those he didnt even have the pleasure of being babysat by Rakitic and Busquets

Sergi Roberto against: Eibar, and some other crappy teams

He wasnt good. He has always been mediocre at DM. And its not just who a player is playing against, but HOW he plays. I am not at all comfortable with Masche at DM.

gasgas

He wasnt good. He has always been mediocre at DM. And its not just who a player is playing against, but HOW he plays. I am not at all comfortable with Masche at DM.

It does matter who you play against
That's why big games we call them the big test for a player
That's why we are waiting to see how Sergi Roberto fares against Marcelo, Ronaldo, Douglas Costa and the likes

Jombi

It does matter who you play against
That's why big games we call them the big test for a player
That's why we are waiting to see how Sergi Roberto fares against Marcelo, Ronaldo, Douglas Costa and the likes

Wait and see all you want, its certainly possible to judge a player even if he hasnt played against Ronaldo or Marcelo. RM scouts saw Marcelo in Brazil, and he became a starter for RM shortly after. Some players are smart and shows a maturity and skills which can be seen regardless of the opposition. Coaches and scouts with a keen eye know this.

xXKonan

Mascherano is a great DM but his skill set is different to what our system needs.

Lucho decided to convert Roberto into a DM during the second half of our treble season because he felt like His skill set is much closer to Busi's and what our System required compared to Mascherano's. and during our last season you seen Roberto play DM more than Mascherano did because of the same reasons.

I doubt you will see that many people or anyone say Roberto is a much better DM than Masche, but Roberto is much better suited for our system as a DM over Masche.With Roberto being converted into a RB on a Full time basis Lucho and his staff are exploring the possibility of Gomes becoming a back up DM to Busi.

While it's not a lot but during his Benfica games according to Transfermarkt he played a total of 12 games as a DM in two seasons and even started the Europa Final vs Sevilla at the end of the 2013/14 as a DM for Benfica.

Last edited:

Zincubus

Banned

From what I recall , before he joined Barca and was changed to CB ( against his will ! ) , Mascherano was regarded as THE best holding midfielder in the world by many , many experts ....

Mascherano is a great DM but his skill set is different to what our system needs.

Lucho decided to convert Roberto into a DM during the second half of our treble season because he felt like His skill set is much closer to Busi's and what our System required compared to Mascherano's. and during our last season you seen Roberto play DM more than Mascherano did because of the same reasons.

I doubt you will see that many people or anyone say Roberto is a much better DM than Masche, but Roberto is much better suited for our system as a DM over Masche.With Roberto being converted into a RB on a Full time basis Lucho and his staff are exploring the possibility of Gomes becoming a back up DM to Busi.

While it's not a lot but during his Benfica games according to Transfermarkt he played a total of 12 games as a DM in two seasons and even started the Europa Final vs Sevilla at the end of the 2013/14 as a DM for Benfica.

Excellent post

Gomes playing ins Busi's position would help us in a lot many ways...... He is an attacking minded mid fielder who needs some tuning to play in our mid field anyway, what better way than making him play a bit deeper?

Great point !

Jombi

From what I recall , before he joined Barca and was changed to CB ( against his will ! ) , Mascherano was regarded as THE best holding midfielder in the world by many , many experts ....

I am obviously talking about his time in Barca. Its a completely different ball game and it is irrelevant how he played in Liverpool as a DM.

Zincubus

Banned
F
Ousting Rakitic? Before xmas? Not happening. Rakitic is vital to Barça now. And hopefully arda won't play as a midfielder anymore for us. Gomes is very promising, and I think he'll have a great future here, but he won't oust Raki any time soon.

Mmmm both started tonight , Iniesta comes in and Rakitic taken off ...

Funnily enough Gary Neville was talking yesterday about his time at Valencia and he said that Gomes has enough talent to be better than Michael Ballack ....

F

Flavia

F

Mmmm both started tonight , Iniesta comes in and Rakitic taken off ...

Funnily enough Gary Neville was talking yesterday about his time at Valencia and he said that Gomes has enough talent to be better than Michael Ballack ....
Because Rakitic needs rest. I like Gomes, but he won't displace Rakitic from the starting eleven anytime soon.

Ripsta

I thought he was shit. His first thought is 'who can I pass it back too'. Releases the ball to slow too. Bang average player.

Home of Barca Fans