André Gomes

God Serena

I hope to see him against Granada. He needs to integrate in the team, and the only way he can do that is by playing.

I would like to see him play, but with Alena being included in the squad yet again, I wouldn't mind if he got the chance instead. Who knows, he might prove a better fit, because even though he's much younger, integrating won't be nearly as much of a problem.

Barcilliant

I was always sceptical of us signing him. At least when we signed Cesc he had the stats to back him up eg goals and assists.

Gomes had none of those. I still hope he comes good but Lucho needs to find him the right position and give him minutes.

Raketa10

There is one big problem for our new players to be honest. When Rakitic came to Barca he was basically rotating with Xavi and Iniesta so he either played with Xavi or Don and he had quite a mentors to learn from so he developed and incorporated quicky in our team.

This season Gomes plays a lot with with Rafinha or with Denis or with Arda so basically all of them have less minutes than Rakitic had in hist first year and no one to learn from on the pitch. In my opininion overrotating is bad not just for the result but also for player development. In my opinion we have too many midfielders in the squad not to mention those on the bench are way to simmilar.

We should also have clear picture who are our main midfield substitutions. Are those Arda and Gomes or Denis or Rafinha. It's stupid to give them all the same amount of minutes. In that way no one of this three youngsters will develop.

Last edited:

serghei

There is one big problem for our new players to be honest. When Rakitic came to Barca he was basically rotating with Xavi and Iniesta so he either played with Xavi or Don and he had quite a mentors to learn from so he developed and incorporated quicky in our team.

This season Gomes plays a lot with with Rafinha or with Denis or with Arda so basically all of them have less minutes than Rakitic had in hist first year and no one to learn from on the pitch. In my opininion overrotating is bad not just for the result but also for player development. In my opinion we have too many midfielders in the squad not to mention those on the bench are way to simmilar.

Yes, exactly. Our main midfield options have to be Busi, Iniesta, Rakitic, Arda and Gomes in 4-3-3. Stop changing it up so drastically FFS.

If we play some other thing, 3-4-3 or 4-4-2, Rafinha can slide in very well in those systems, like against Leganes and Gijon where he was probably one of our best players.

Denis imo is best as squad player this season, he's been much better when he was subbed on during the game than when he played from the start.

Last edited:

Jombi

We should also have clear picture who are our main midfield substitutions. Are those Arda and Gomes or Denis or Rafinha. It's stupid to give them all the same amount of minutes. In that way no one of this three youngsters will develop.

Rakitic is a much better player than Gomes and Arda, so naturally, he played much better right from the start. If a player plays like garbage, we cant expect the coach to continue playing them and permanently bench Denis and Rafa.

serghei

Rakitic is a much better player than Gomes and Arda, so naturally, he played much better right from the start. If a player plays like garbage, we cant expect the coach to continue playing them and permanently bench Denis and Rafa.

Rubbish. Rakitic was the target of a lot of blame in his first months. Stop rewriting history. Rakitic came well towards the end of his first season, especially from march onwards, and that was also the period when Busi and Iniesta and Dani Alves (also sort of a midfielder for us) were playing very very well. The whole team clicked great back then. Rakitic integrated better, like all players integrate better when everything around them is working great. Now the situation is different. Busi is off form, Iniesta is picking up injuries, Alves is gone, Xavi gone, and so on and so forth.

Rakitic is better than Arda and Gomes at some things, and clearly not better at others.

Last edited:

Jombi

Rubbish. Rakitic was the target of a lot of blame in his first months. .

I dont care which boneheads "targeted" him. That's irrelevant. He was much, much better right from the start than Arda and Gomes but some people will always need their boo boys so they find someone. Raki is just a totally superior player than Arda and Gomes. Of course its natural that he'll play better.

serghei

I dont care which boneheads "targeted" him. That's irrelevant. He was much, much better right from the start than Arda and Gomes but some people will always need their boo boys so they find someone. Raki is just a totally superior player than Arda and Gomes. Of course its natural that he'll play better.

He was so great that we didn't play him in the clasico on Bernabeu in november, and was only a sub. Big coincidence that he started playing very well once the team as a whole had a massive turnaround after the Anoeta episode.

And take note that we gave Rakitic more game time, simply because we didn't have 7 options in midfield back then. We only had Busi, Iniesta, an older Xavi and Rakitic. That's almost guaranteed game time. Right now, the newcomers must settle for a lot less minutes, so no wonder they look less integrated than Rakitic did in his first season. You play less, you develop and integrate at a slower rate.

I think we should have let Denis at Villareal one more season at least.

Last edited:

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Rubbish. Rakitic was the target of a lot of blame in his first months. Stop rewriting history. Rakitic came well towards the end of his first season, especially from march onwards, and that was also the period when Busi and Iniesta and Dani Alves (also sort of a midfielder for us) were playing very very well. The whole team clicked great back then. Rakitic integrated better, like all players integrate better when everything around them is working great. Now the situation is different. Busi is off form, Iniesta is picking up injuries, Alves is gone, Xavi gone, and so on and so forth.

Rakitic is better than Arda and Gomes at some things, and clearly not better at others.

Rubbish. Barca were starting to play the new system under Lucho when Rakitic came and the club struggled until January.
Rakitic was Sevilla best player and leader. What has Gomes done?
Also, Rakitic was expected to click in best midfield in history. He adapted and sacrificed to play in defensive role and overcome massive pressure.

Gomes is being pampered and can't even impose himself ahead of Denis and Rafinha. Nevermind dreaming of effectively relieve Iniesta. Something Rakitic did with Xavi and to great success.

It's still early but there is absolutely nothing warranting jumping on a Gomes wagon.

Raketa10

I agree that Rakitic is better but he is 28 years old, he was 26 when we signed him and he was already mainly developed when he came here. Denis and Gomes are really just tallented players who need to develop and I do not see this happening in this way if you give them both 20-30 minutes every now and than. Look how much is Kovacic playing this season for Real.

Last edited:

Jombi

He was so great that we didn't play him in the clasico on Bernabeu in november, and was only a sub. Big coincidence that he started playing very well once the team as a whole had a massive turnaround after the Anoeta episode.

And take note that we gave Rakitic more game time, simply because we didn't have 7 options in midfield back then. We only had Busi, Iniesta, an older Xavi and Rakitic. That's almost guaranteed game time. Right now, the newcomers must settle for a lot less minutes, so no wonder they look less integrated than Rakitic did in his first season. You play less, you develop and integrate at a slower rate.

Xavi (who was the captain) and Iniesta starting in the clasico in October where a coach prefers experience is proof of absolutely nothing. Raki was a superior player right from the get-go to anything Arda and Gomes have shown, naturally, because he is a far superior player. No comparison.

Home of Barca Fans