Andres Iniesta

dalitis8

Banned
Honestly we should rest Xavi and Iniesta (and maybe Cesc too) at San Siro.

With our qualification sealed, this is a dead rubber match. Getting injuries to key players in such a match would be incredibly stupid and a major blow. Right now, the league is much more important, I'd rather not risk Xavi and Iniesta's health over a dead rubber match, especially with the Clásico approaching.

I'd say the same for Messi, but I don't think anything or anyone can convince him to rest so just let him play.

It's not a dead rubber. First place still up for grabs.

Xavi and Iniesta were rested today, so that they can be at the max when we face AC Milan.

dalitis8

Banned
the only Holy Trinity is Busquets,Xavi and iniesta, until 14 cups in 3 season happens with another thats how it will stay.

A player can never be judged solely on titles won.

Diego Maradonna never won 14 cups in 3 seasons. So what?

Do not mix apples with theology...

Catalonian Devil

Shukran Pep
Why should we field a lineup like that for a dead rubber match? We need to be practical here. Getting six points from the next two leagues games and getting to the Clásico in the most favorable position possible is infinitely more important than the San Siro game. A potential injury to a key player in a match like this would be incredibly stupid tbh, not to mention compromising..

I think Pep is taking this game seriously, pretty sure he wants to win in Milan and guarantee first place, which will allow him to rest loads of players in the last game...

It might be a less important match, but tbh we have yet to beat a top opposition this season, they've all frustrated us. Maybe a win in San Siro could give us a sort of mental boost ahead of the Classico.

jamrock

we will play 4-3-3, because 1, masch and abidal were rested today, two we puyol and pique back to their best before december 10.

---Puyol---Masch--Pique--Abidal

-------------Busquets

-----Xavi----------------Iniesta

----------------Cesc

-------Messi--------------Villa

is how we will line up, cesc/messi drifting left

Manuel Traquete

It's not a dead rubber. First place still up for grabs.

Xavi and Iniesta were rested today, so that they can be at the max when we face AC Milan.

It seems so. But it'd be an incredibly stupid decision if someone got injured (remember Iniesta got injured vs AC Milan at Camp Nou).

Keeping the pace in La Liga is infinitely more important than first place/second place in the CL group, we have no margin for error in the league.

I'd rather lose at San Siro than have Xavi/Iniesta/Messi picking up compromising injuries.

dalitis8

Banned
I think Pep is taking this game seriously, pretty sure he wants to win in Milan and guarantee first place.

It might be a less important match, but tbh we have yet to beat a top opposition this season, they've all frustrated us. Maybe a win in San Siro could give us a sort of mental boost ahead of the Classico.

Absolutely yes.

Furthermore, if we can beat AC Milan next week, we can use Barca B against Bate in December...cos it's gonna be a busy December....

dalitis8

Banned
It seems so. But it'd be an incredibly stupid decision if someone got injured (remember Iniesta got injured vs AC Milan at Camp Nou).

Keeping the pace in La Liga is infinitely more important than first place/second place in the CL group, we have no margin for error in the league.

I'd rather lose at San Siro than have Xavi/Iniesta/Messi picking up compromising injuries.

Just because they will play a game, doesn't mean that they face a a high risk of getting injured. Messi plays every single fucking game ffs. Xavi an Iniesta have been playing 60-70 games per season for the past 4 years or so if you count Spain NT as well (as you should)

jamrock

A player can never be judged solely on titles won.

Diego Maradonna never won 14 cups in 3 seasons. So what?

Do not mix apples with theology...

NO a player should be judged on performance, which is why Busquets,Xavi,Iniesta are the only trinity

Xavi:the father
Busquets: the son
Iniesta: the holy spirit

:worthy:

Manuel Traquete

I think Pep is taking this game seriously, pretty sure he wants to win in Milan and guarantee first place, which will allow him to rest loads of players in the last game...

Fair enough, I can see your point. But on the other hand, keeping the pace in La Liga is much more important than getting first place.

I feel Pep has his priorities wrong here. If all goes well and we win, it's ok. If a key player gets an injury and misses El Clásico, it will have turned out to be an incredibly stupid decision.

Manuel Traquete

Just because they will play a game, doesn't mean that they face a a high risk of getting injured. Messi plays every single fucking game ffs. Xavi an Iniesta have been playing 60-70 games per season for the past 4 years or so if you count Spain NT as well (as you should)

Not a high risk, but the risk is always there. The game against Getafe is much more important than the AC Milan game. If we lose against Milan, we're still advancing to the next stage. If we lose to Getafe or even draw, our La Liga title hopes will start to be very, very bleak.

I'll trust Pep's decision, hope it doesn't backfire.

Catalonian Devil

Shukran Pep
Fair enough, I can see your point. But on the other hand, keeping the pace in La Liga is much more important than getting first place.

I feel Pep has his priorities wrong here. If all goes well and we win, it's ok. If a key player gets an injury and misses El Clásico, it will have turned out to be an incredibly stupid decision.

Don't think the risk of picking up an injury is worth not going for a morale boosting win in San Siro. An injury could be picked up on any game along the way to the Classico, we shouldn't let that dictate our priorities...

Besides that's the reason why we purchased Sanchez and Fabregas, to have a deeper squad that copes better with tight schedules and injury situations...

Manuel Traquete

Don't think the risk of picking up an injury is worth not going for a morale boosting win in San Siro. An injury could be picked up on any game along the way to the Classico, we shouldn't let that dictate our priorities...

Besides that's the reason why we purchased Sanchez and Fabregas, to have a deeper squad that copes better with tight schedules and injury situations...

I'm not even talking about El Clásico. We have no margin for error in La Liga. As I said in the last comment, if we lose at San Siro we're still advancing in the CL comfortably. If we drop points against Getafe, the league will get really, really difficult. If we're being practical, the Getafe game is much more important.

And do you really think we need a morale boost? We haven't lost a game since April, surely that must make the squad very confident.

Last edited:

Catalonian Devil

Shukran Pep
I'm not even talking about El Clásico. We have no margin for error in La Liga. As I said in the last comment, if we lose at San Siro we're still advancing in the CL comfortably. If we drop points against Getafe, the league will get really, really difficult. If we're being practical, the Getafe game is much more important.

And do you really think we need a morale boost? We haven't lost a game since April, surely that must make the squad very confident.

We have yet to beat a top opposition this season (apart from the copa), and I believe having one under our belts ahead of the Classico will do us a world of good

As far as the Getafe game I don't see the issue if we play a full strength side against Milan.

If we go with this vs Milan:

------VV------------
Mach--Pique---Abidal
-------Busi---------
---Xavi----Thiago---
------Iniesta-------
Pedro---Messi--Villa-

We could easily field this vs Getafe:

---------------------------------VV------------------------------------------
Alves(won't play vs Milan)--Pique--Puyol (rested vs Milan)-Abidal(rested today)
----------------------Busi (rested today)---------------------------------------
-------------------Xavi----Thiago(rested today)-------------------------------
----------------------Cesc(rested vs Milan)-----------------------------------
-------Sanchez(rested vs Milan)/Villa (rested today)-Messi--------------------

In that second line-up only 3 players + VV would have played 3 games during the week. Isn't that line-up just as good as the Milan line-up, if not even better?

That's the luxury of having a deep squad, you can play a seemingly full strength side against one team, make several changes and still field another full strength side 3 days later.

Last edited:

Manuel Traquete

We have yet to beat a top opposition this season (apart from the copa), and I believe having one under our belts ahead of the Classico will do us a world of good

As far as the Getafe game I don't see the issue if we play a full strength side against Milan.

If we go with this vs Milan:

------VV------------
Mach--Pique---Abidal
-------Busi---------
---Xavi----Thiago---
------Iniesta-------
Pedro---Messi--Villa-

We could easily field this vs Getafe:

---------------------------------VV------------------------------------------
Alves(won't play vs Milan)--Pique--Puyol (rested vs Milan)-Abidal(rested today)
----------------------Busi (rested today)---------------------------------------
-------------------Xavi----Thiago(rested today)-------------------------------
----------------------Cesc(rested vs Milan)-----------------------------------
-------Sanchez(rested vs Milan)-Messi---Villa (rested today)-----------------

In that second line-up only 3 players + VV would have played 3 games during the week. Isn't that line-up just as good as the Milan line-up, if not even better?

That's the luxury of having a deep squad, you can play a seemingly full strength side against one team, make several changes and still field another full strength side 3 days later.

You do make a great point. But my fears were never squad depth or faitgue-related, but injury related. I do know that we have more than enough talent to rotate the squad.

I guess that my fears are based on the fact than Andrés got injured precisely vs Milan at Camp Nou. That's why I feel our most important players (I'm talking Messi, Xavi, Iniesta here, although Messi will never be rested) should be saved for matches where there will be more at stake (which is basically every match from now until the end of the year except the BATE game). I mean, imagine Xavi gets injured for two months. In hindsight, would it have been a good decision to play him in a game where qualification was already secure? I just feel that prioritizing the Milan game over the league games at this point is not the right decision.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but honestly I'd rather lose at San Siro than have Messi/Xavi/Iniesta (or any other key player) injured for a significant period. I mean, of course I want us to win the game, but keeping everyone healthy for this crucial stretch of the league matches we're going to face is more important imo.

Home of Barca Fans