Andrés Iniesta

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
I just want this whole situation to be solved as soon as possible... It has been going on for way too long, and if the decreased salary reports are true, then I can understand his low morale...

The Observer

It's hard to believe that Song is on 5 something million (according to MD, Sport or whoever, see other thread) and they are offering Iniesta a 20 % income decrease which would put him on a salary level below Alex Song. That's just utter nonsense. Seriously.

F

Flavia

It's hard to believe that Song is on 5 something million (according to MD, Sport or whoever, see other thread) and they are offering Iniesta a 20 % income decrease which would put him on a salary level below Alex Song. That's just utter nonsense. Seriously.
Not below, the same level. And this is just negotiations tactics. Starting low to reach a medium number.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Regardless of what the numbers are, it's quite a departure from the way contracts were renewed the past 5 seasons for the key members of the squad...Gives you some insight into how much has changed that now the negotiations carry on and are debated in the press for months

The Observer

Don't kill me, but sentiments being put aside for a second, Iniesta will be 30 at the end of the season. Looking at Xavi, he has 2 more seasons to give after this one at most before slowing down for good. If not earlier, considering how much he relies on his explosiveness. The cynics among us might even say that he's already showing signs of decline this season. I can understand the reluctance to renew him for another 5 years with a > € 7.5 M pay check. If we don't consider these kind of things and renew everyone just because they are legends, we will end up like Milan a few years ago with an overaged squad full of old stars on big paychecks. Watching Ajax kids running rings around Xavi and Puyol was already a sad sight. If we sold Iniesta for € 50 million, bought someone like Gündogan and played Busquets-Gündogan-Fabregas in midfield, I wouldn't be too mad. We're playing with the exact same midfield trio for 5 years now. That's a very long time for opponents to figure us out.

Don't kill me. :lol:

Don't kill me, but sentiments being put aside for a second, Iniesta will be 30 at the end of the season. Looking at Xavi, he has 2 more seasons to give after this one at most before slowing down for good. If not earlier, considering how much he relies on his explosiveness. The cynics among us might even say that he's already showing signs of decline this season. I can understand the reluctance to renew him for another 5 years with a > € 7.5 M pay check. If we don't consider these kind of things and renew everyone just because they are legends, we will end up like Milan a few years ago with an overaged squad full of old stars on big paychecks. Watching Ajax kids running rings around Xavi and Puyol was already a sad sight. If we sold Iniesta for € 50 million, bought someone like Gündogan and played Busquets-Gündogan-Fabregas in midfield, I wouldn't be too mad. We're playing with the exact same midfield trio for 5 years now. That's a very long time for opponents to figure us out.

Xavi and Puyol are a lot older than Iniesta and we renewed them no problem (and unlike Iniesta, they're actually declining, especially Puyol). Besides, we can always sell him if he really declines. And ffs, he's 29 not 35.

Also, I wouldn't be too worried about ending up like Milan. Our only current starters who are over 30 (besides Valdes) are Xavi and Alves.

Last edited:

The Observer

In your 2nd month will you then lobby for Leo's sale too?

What do you mean by 2nd month?

I'm not "lobbying" for anything. It's a thought.

As for your question: I mean, I can see why you would want to drag the discussion into this direction. "OMG, the idiot said sell Iniesta, soon he'll be advocating to sell Messi, too. BURN HIM!!!" But I'll answer anyway. :lol: Leo is a far more valuable player than Iniesta. He scores almost 100 goals in a calendar year. And he's only 26. Meanwhile Iniesta has reached a point in his career where fans advocate for Fabregas in the lineup instead of him. So the answer is: no, I won't be asking for Messi to be sold anytime soon.

CatalinR10

06.gif

Home of Barca Fans