Andrés Iniesta

Andrew M

I think Iniesta deserves his contract. He is a truly selfless champion.

I think the concern over having a pampered, ageing squad, as with Milan, is worth mentioning, but if Man Utd can have Scholes and Giggs performing at a relatively high level well into the final stretch of their careers I don't see why we can't have players do the same.

We are talking about model professionals I think, not Ronaldinho, Deco......

I also feel that these drawn out negotiations are affecting his performances. Ronaldo after his renewal has been so much better than he was at the beginning of the season, where he did seem preoccupied.

Only Zubi would take this long renewing Iniesta... :facepalm:

Any other club would probably have given him the money (which apparently isn't even a big raise) and renewed him within a day.

barcanuck

Only Zubi would take this long renewing Iniesta... :facepalm:

Any other club would probably have given him the money (which apparently isn't even a big raise) and renewed him within a day.

I'm really starting to get worried, each day that passes with no renewal is one day closer to him leaving.

F

Flavia

Don't kill me, but sentiments being put aside for a second, Iniesta will be 30 at the end of the season. Looking at Xavi, he has 2 more seasons to give after this one at most before slowing down for good. If not earlier, considering how much he relies on his explosiveness. The cynics among us might even say that he's already showing signs of decline this season. I can understand the reluctance to renew him for another 5 years with a > € 7.5 M pay check. If we don't consider these kind of things and renew everyone just because they are legends, we will end up like Milan a few years ago with an overaged squad full of old stars on big paychecks. Watching Ajax kids running rings around Xavi and Puyol was already a sad sight. If we sold Iniesta for € 50 million, bought someone like Gündogan and played Busquets-Gündogan-Fabregas in midfield, I wouldn't be too mad. We're playing with the exact same midfield trio for 5 years now. That's a very long time for opponents to figure us out.

Don't kill me. :lol:

Your pov is shared among a lot of people in a spanish Barça forum I read sometimes. But then, there's also a few nuts wanting to sell Leo, saying "he's injury prone now". I understand what you're saying, but recently Iniesta and Cesc together in midifield have started to click. So Busi-Iniesta-Cesc can be a great trio.

Ghost

Our management.........

Why in the world would anyone offer a player like INIESTA a 20% wages decrease at 29? He is not 40 ffs.

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Is there any new development that triggered the panic in the last several pages?

Last time I heard, they were going to finalize the deal by Christmas, right?

CatalinR10

Is there any new development that triggered the panic in the last several pages?

Last time I heard, they were going to finalize the deal by Christmas, right?

Nothing is concrete so far. Some sources said that the club wants to make him the highest paid player after Messi , other sources said that the club wants to decrease his salary from 7 M to 5,5 while Iniesta wants 7,5.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Nothing is concrete so far. Some sources said that the club wants to make him the highest paid player after Messi , other sources said that the club wants to decrease his salary from 7 M to 5,5 while Iniesta wants 7,5.

The decrease in salary does not make sense to me. Even though Zubi is clueless, but he is not that stupid, I think.

I still think we will get this done soon.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Zubi is often careful choosing his words but claiming a Christmas gift with Iniesta's renewal seems uncharacteristic if not stupid altogether

Home of Barca Fans