Andres Iniesta

CesDel

Well yeah of course they will care more about the overall performance for Iniesta than for Ronaldo. Firstly Ronaldo is not a midfielder, secondly Ronaldo is in another planet statistically compared to Iniesta. And tbh Iniesta doesn't really have to dominate from start to finish for people to praise him. He has to do 3-4 silky smooth skills and majority will say he had a great game.

And I don't agree with you that people would've said that about Ronaldo (re:comparison with Messi). In the first half of 2012/13 when Messi was on a brace spree in his chase for Muller's record, his overall game was quite sub-par and he didn't have that many assists either. That didn't stop the media from going crazy over him. In fact I've never seen such a wank-off for one particular player in my time following football. Mind, I'm not saying it wasn't deserved.

Re:WC MVP, The main gripe with Messi was that he didn't do much during the knockouts which was absolutely true. He was the best individual on the Argentina team but from the quarters, it was entirely their collective defensive unit that got them to 2nd place. If the same thing happened with Ronaldo (no goals and 1 assist in the 4 most important matches), nobody would be asking for him to be MVP.

Nah, people will drool over Iniesta's silky move but still mention that he had an off game. Where as if you do the same with C.ronaldo, people will attack you and call you a hater.

And while I am one of those who thinks that 2012 wasn't Messi's best year, you can't compare that with C.ronaldo this year or last year. I mean, that year Messi was more than just goals unlike C.ronaldo was last season. Apart from the goals, Messi was also the 2nd or maybe even the top assister of the year. Basically, he was C.ronaldo + Özil that year and he was almost our only attack for much of the year.

If the same would be true for Messi, everyone would have agreed that Messi was great last season. I mean, 44 goals and +10 assist is statistically better than almost any of the greatest player's best season, yet everyone say that Messi was bad.

Regarding the MVP. Messi had a better WC than C.Ronaldo had a euro in 2012, yet people seems to think that C.ronaldo had a great euro while Messi a bad WC. And don't give me that BS about C.ronaldo having worse teammates. Atleast his teammates created chances for him. Remember the Portugal vs Denmark game? In just that one game, his teammates created more chances for him than Di Maria & co created for Messi at this WC..

Last edited:

Kerrybai

Well yeah of course they will care more about the overall performance for Iniesta than for Ronaldo. Firstly Ronaldo is not a midfielder, secondly Ronaldo is in another planet statistically compared to Iniesta. And tbh Iniesta doesn't really have to dominate from start to finish for people to praise him. He has to do 3-4 silky smooth skills and majority will say he had a great game.

And I don't agree with you that people would've said that about Ronaldo (re:comparison with Messi). In the first half of 2012/13 when Messi was on a brace spree in his chase for Muller's record, his overall game was quite sub-par and he didn't have that many assists either. That didn't stop the media from going crazy over him. In fact I've never seen such a wank-off for one particular player in my time following football. Mind, I'm not saying it wasn't deserved.

Re:WC MVP, The main gripe with Messi was that he didn't do much during the knockouts which was absolutely true. He was the best individual on the Argentina team but from the quarters, it was entirely their collective defensive unit that got them to 2nd place. If the same thing happened with Ronaldo (no goals and 1 assist in the 4 most important matches), nobody would be asking for him to be MVP.

Kind tough to give it to anyone else though being that James was out in the last 8 and Neymar was injured. The Germans were great but had no real stand out star.

khorne

The Germans were great but had no real stand out star.

mercedes-benz-star.jpg

In Germany, the MACHINE is the star!

On topic, i'd say iniesta wasn't bad as much as uninvolved in the game. i can remember one dispossesion on him where i actually cringed a bit, but he also had a couple of iniestaesque dribbles and ball control, so the class is still there (as if that ever could go away, you infidels!). what's worrying is that he had next to no creative involvment in the game, it was get the ball, look around, pass it to jordi alba.

I think ursegor is quite right with that tactical analysis, he has to play too deep and isolated for my tastes. And before we judge to harshly, we shouldn't forget that it's the first real time in his career where he really has to play without xavi, and also the first season where he is not together with valdes. Our players aren't robots, you know.

But i agree, he hasn't found his rythm yet.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire

First, I have to dispute that Messi had a lot of subpar games in the first half of the 12/13 season. Not my experience. Secondly, not all assists are created equal. Messi creates chances for others. Lobs. through balls. Many of Ronaldo's on the other hand were simply passes within the penalty box. Third, you can't say Messi had a poor game because he didn't have any assists. I can't remember how many times his pass or the chance he created was wasted. Just because his teammates couldn't score, it didn't mean Messi was poor.

putogusiluz8

The Pale One
I hope he doesn't feel overshadowed by the other stars, there were times where i would of loved to see him charge into the box as he had a lot of space to run with the ball could of at least picked up a foul.

CesDel

First, I have to dispute that Messi had a lot of subpar games in the first half of the 12/13 season. Not my experience. Secondly, not all assists are created equal. Messi creates chances for others. Lobs. through balls. Many of Ronaldo's on the other hand were simply passes within the penalty box. Third, you can't say Messi had a poor game because he didn't have any assists. I can't remember how many times his pass or the chance he created was wasted. Just because his teammates couldn't score, it didn't mean Messi was poor.

Exactly. And this is proof of that

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Really poor and unmotivated yesterday. Others weren't much better either but it was Iniesta who had the armband and should lead by example.
Disappointing.

dakt

Armbend should go to Mascherano. We saw his great will during the world cup. Messi and Iniesta are just too "shy" and humble.

Siberia

Imo I wouldnt be too worried about iniesta. He always starts the season bad but by playing game after game, you can see his magic again appearing. Give the guy a break. Im sure he'll get better after a few games.

Home of Barca Fans