Andres Iniesta

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
Never was a finisher, but he should've scored from that Messi pass.

There are only a handful of players in the world that could have controlled the ball like Andres did in that situation.
I think he had a good game. Iniesta is playing a different role now and Rakitic will be the CM that will get more opportunities to shine in offense.

Hellsangel

Like Sergio, a player that thrives in a system we no longer play. Direct, pacey, physical football does not suit him and unfortunately for the Don we are gradually moving closer to that brand of play. I wonder where this process will stop.

Andres is finding it harder to showcase his pure class because he sees less of the ball and when he does its in areas where he can't influence the game as much. We need to think about how we can use him better.

JamDav1982

Like Sergio, a player that thrives in a system we no longer play. Direct, pacey, physical football does not suit him and unfortunately for the Don we are gradually moving closer to that brand of play. I wonder where this process will stop.

Andres is finding it harder to showcase his pure class because he sees less of the ball and when he does its in areas where he can't influence the game as much. We need to think about how we can use him better.

His decline started before the change in style in my opinion.

Last season and before in the bigger games he has been playing overly safe football and offered little in defence.

Still a good player though.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Agreed Jam.
Decline started way before Lucho turned up. Although the tactics don't help Iniesta either. And he's no Rakitic to compensate with his off the ball game.

blaugrana1987

Uh oh :( Don...what is happening? I have a feeling he is loosing himself a bit in this new style if play. He is not direct enough and can hold on the ball for too long. Hopefully this slump is not permanent.

Kerrybai

There are only a handful of players in the world that could have controlled the ball like Andres did in that situation.
I think he had a good game. Iniesta is playing a different role now and Rakitic will be the CM that will get more opportunities to shine in offense.

Yes there are only a handful, and there is only one player who can control like that and finish like an amateur :iniesta:

All kidding aside we need more from our midfield if we are to win CL and La Liga. The Don is just not providing enough... really really disappointing.

beogatts

Dont really think this is a game to judge him. We skipped the midfield and just gave the ball to the attackerks.

agreed. IMO, lucho didnt wanna use him today as the playmaker coz atletico know iniesta well la liga. iniesta has been playing well recently with the best line-ups.

Jadentheman

I think we will see less in general from him. He's aging, declining in play naturally, and our play style is evolving. It's to a point where the midfield won't matter as much for Barcelona like it used too. Our front three is leading our future and they will be the ones you decide games.

barcanuck

I think we will see less in general from him. He's aging, declining in play naturally, and our play style is evolving. It's to a point where the midfield won't matter as much for Barcelona like it used too. Our front three is leading our future and they will be the ones you decide games.

Yup pretty much this. We can almost just put Masche in mid instead of The Don and stick Mathieu at the back

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
He had a good game.
Never was a finisher, but he should've scored from that Messi pass.

With the defender pulling at his sleeve there was no way he'd be able to score. He could have gone down and got the defender sent off + a penalty, but that was about it. He did incredibly well to get into the scoring positition.

anguy

He had a good game.

With the defender pulling at his sleeve there was no way he'd be able to score. He could have gone down and got the defender sent off + a penalty, but that was about it. He did incredibly well to get into the scoring positition.

Ehm, what? That was clear cut chance, he was able to take the shot despite defenders actions, it was just poorly placed.

Hellsangel

So are we at the point then that we should reconsider his starting place in the team? Rafinha had some admirable performances recently and has more volume and directness to his game. Time to start picking him or is the difference in class still too big?

Home of Barca Fans