Andres Iniesta

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
What's happening with Iniesta is not a matter of bad form. It's a result of the way we're playing. The tactics and the usual lineup end up sacrificing the role he used to have on the pitch. We cannot play him the same way we used to and play with our current lineup and tactics at the same time. The heatmap of 11/12 and that season's results aren't the point. He was an absolute beast in 12/13, as well, and he played half of that season as the left winger. And we won the league with 100 points. Iniesta can shine in different roles, as long as that role isn't a subdued one. No one can shine in that kind of a role. The way we're playing now is a waste of his talent, but hey, if we win trophies, the system obviously works. It's not here to play every player in his best role possible.

It's true the way Barca is playing is very demanding on Iniesta, but he is also not the same player he used to be. Coming up with heat maps of 2-3 seasons ago when Iniesta was 27 and 28 years old and in the midst of his prime, is hardly convincing. Iniesta played under Rijkaard in a more similar system to the current one in his early age and played well, which points more toward him not being physically capable anymore of playing it, rather than the system not fitting him.

To get the absolute most out of Iniesta at this point in his career, the team would have to change and mold the formations and players very differently than currently, and I'm not sure the wisdom of doing something like that for a midfield who is nearing the end of his career. Wiser would be to take what Iniesta gives you, and plan ahead with new players.

footyfan

Calma, calma
What's happening with Iniesta is not a matter of bad form. It's a result of the way we're playing. The tactics and the usual lineup end up sacrificing the role he used to have on the pitch. We cannot play him the same way we used to and play with our current lineup and tactics at the same time. The heatmap of 11/12 and that season's results aren't the point. He was an absolute beast in 12/13, as well, and he played half of that season as the left winger. And we won the league with 100 points. Iniesta can shine in different roles, as long as that role isn't a subdued one. No one can shine in that kind of a role. The way we're playing now is a waste of his talent, but hey, if we win trophies, the system obviously works. It's not here to play every player in his best role possible.

He has been way below par for his standards since the beginning of 2013. Barca have played the whole sprectrum of styles in that time period and he didn't really shine in any of them (bar those few weeks of the away Sevilla game and the Bernabeu Clasico). It's not entirely because of the way Barca is playing currently, although that undoubtedly plays a part. Even for Spain, he has been fairly underwhelming since 2013, the exception being the Uruguay match in the Confederations Cup. But you know shit's off the rails in a game when even Soldado scores..

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
I thought he was one of our best players in the first half. On the other hand his second half was dreadful like the rest of the midfield.

F

Flavia

It's not the system, he declined and is also inconsistent now. Peaked early. He's only 30, should be thriving with experience, but he's not. It's the same for Spain.
Shouldn't be a starter anymore.

Albo

Few weeks ago, I was bashing Iniesta for being garbage all season long and not even doing a one positive thing for us. People thought I was a troll and defended Iniesta, unbelievable.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
It's not the system, he declined and is also inconsistent now. Peaked early. He's only 30, should be thriving with experience, but he's not. It's the same for Spain.
Shouldn't be a starter anymore.

Spain and Barça play different styles than they used to. I think that's the main problem for him. I do think xavi is better though.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
Few weeks ago, I was bashing Iniesta for being garbage all season long and not even doing a one positive thing for us. People thought I was a troll and defended Iniesta, unbelievable.

Welcome to Barcaforum. There are certain players who are immune from criticism here.

Home of Barca Fans