Andres Iniesta

BBZ8800

Iniesta has had a far better career than Zidane. And Zidane had the luck of not having someone like Messi to outshine him.

Our CL record wasn't good at all before Messi.
While Messi is a burden for all our players, also the question is: Would we win any trophy (except 2006') if Messi didn't exist?

So, would Iniesta have won anything alone with Xavi, Villa, Etoo etc?

Again, it is hard to compare players from different eras.
And there are 100s of different factors (like Messi in this case).

Iniesta should get the nod over Zidane. He's had a more decorated career than Zidane ever did.

For me, Xavi was always the brain of Barca, and Barca's best player (except Messi).
So, I am not sure that Iniesta is better than Xavi, and especially better than Zidane.

Also, if Iniesta is better than Zidane, does that mean that Xavi is also better?
Because Xavi won everything together with Iniesta. Except that Xavi played an importnat role in years 2000-2005 also, when Iniesta didn't play.
(And, unlucky for Xavi, we haven't won titles in that era.. partly because we didn't have Messi again...)

Caps

Iniesta definitely takes it over Zidane:

a) Superior career.

b) More consistent performances.

Zidane (as you very rightly point out) also had the good fortune of not having a player like Messi (or even Ronaldo and Xavi) around to inevitably outshine him. Zidane's legend has been irrationally supercharged by a few clutch moments such as the CL final goal and WC headers. Iniesta has those clutch moments as well, but also far more consistent performances in the big games. Anyone who has been following Iniesta over the years will attest that his main attribute was to play extremely well against the toughest opponents that Barca/Spain ever faced.

If we had peak Iniesta during this season, I would consider us overwhelming favorites for the Treble, since our forward line cannot really fully be utilized due to our nefound weakness in midfield.
I will always maintain that Iniesta was the most important player in spains all conquering 08-12 period. Yes even more than Xavi. I will always remember his performance in the euro final v Italy.

F

Flavia

Our CL record wasn't good at all before Messi.
While Messi is a burden for all our players, also the question is: Would we win any trophy (except 2006') if Messi didn't exist?

The euro-wc-euro spain won(in which Barça players played a huge part) makes me think so.

And yes, Xavi is obviously better than Zidane. He's the best midfielder ever.

BBZ8800

Zidane didn't have to compete with Messi and Ronaldo. If he did, he wouldn't have those awards. Not to mention the Ballon d'or was a separate award, which now it isn't.
As for the best European player in the last 50 years Uefa award, it was done in 2004, at the last stages of Zidane's career whilst Iniesta had broken through yet.

Even so, Iniesta has:
FIFA Ballon d'Or: 2nd place 2010, 4th Place 2011, 3rd Place 2012

I am watching football since middle of the 90's, and all I can say that the same story (with different names) is repeating all the time.
Till 1995, the best player EVER; the GOAT of everything was Maradona.
Nobody was close too him.
But then again, he played only 5-10 years before that, lol.
So, you see, the best player was the guy who was the best CLOSEST to that period of time.

Then, a young Il Phenomeno emerged, and suddenly, guess what:
= he was the best player who ever walked on Earth
Suddenly, after only 1 year in Barca, 99% of world's press were saying: Ronaldo is an alien, and he is better than Maradona.

He is the greatest player who has ever touched the ball.
Unfortunately, he got injured later and his career was in troubles.
But, the point is, every new and current player is always hyped by media as the best ever.

Then, Zidane came around 98-99-2000, and guess what, he was the best player who ever played.
He was equal or better than Maradona.

Then, in 2005-06, Ronaldinho's legend was born, and guess what? We had a new best player ever.
Nobody was ever played that "beautiful and efficient". Joga bonita was born.
Everyone forgot Zidane in a short period and Ronnie was the No1 for the whole world.

Then, young Messi emerged, and of course, he is the one and only, the Goat.
Ok, I agree that Messi is the best ever, but people are saying that CR7 is the best ever and imo, that is a total crap.
I watched as a kid both Brasilian Ronaldo, Zidane, Ronaldinho and CR7.
And even though current fans will say that this is the rankings of all time:
1. Messi
2. CR7
3. Maradona
4. Pele
5. Ronaldinho
6. Zidane

My ranking would be:
1. Messi
2. Ronaldo (Brasilian)
Then a lot of blank space....

3. then Ronaldinho
4. then Zidane
5. then CR7

Saying that CR7 is better than the "original" Ronaldo or Ronaldinho can say only a fan who never watched the original Ronaldo or Ronaldinho.

Anyway, my point is, I am not buying those stories: Iniesta had to fight with Messi and CR7.
He had to fight only with Messi. CR7 is a player like aa lot of other during years (he is NOT better than Rivaldo, Romario and other guys).
-- again, La liga is now a 2-horse-race, so this is why Ronaldo has better stats

-- if La liga would have been as crappy as today, crazy Brasilian Ronaldo would have scored 100 Goals in only one Season back then.
Cristina is nowhere near the original Ronaldo

Reading this, I just wondered, do you agree with me or not? :p I think we both agree that Zidane will be perceived to be the greater player by the public. But that is a result of circumstances beyond the player's talent and performance.

It is hard to tell.
Times were different.
Zidane won titles in Seria A who was extremely strong back then.
With his NT team and in a tougher La liga.

Iniesta, he won titles "only" alongside Messi in much weaker La Liga.
Plus, he won titles with Spain, with Spain's best generation ever.

It is hard to tell.
I am a Barca fan, but I was slightly more impressed with Zidane.
I extremely hated him back then, because they were always winning against us in that Gaspart's period.

I don't know, maybe my pain from that era exaggerated Zidane's abilities :/

Anyway, for the end, (the original) Ronaldo in Barca:

-- if any player ever (in terms of talent) was close to Messi, it was Brasilian Ronaldo before horrible injuries, and not this currently hype players like CR7.
Don't believe the hype ;)

(And lol, these goals are only from one Season, from a 20 year old boy, lol)

Last edited:
I will always maintain that Iniesta was the most important player in spains all conquering 08-12 period. Yes even more than Xavi. I will always remember his performance in the euro final v Italy.

Even if he was Spain's most important player (which he wasn't) it was only marginal.

He just benefited from playing in Spain's golden era. It'll be another 20-30+ years before Spain gets a team with champions like Torres, Puyi, Busquets, Xavi, Don, Villa, Ramos, Pique, Alonso, Silva, Fabregas, etc all in one side.

Even Iniesta's much heralded 2012 Euros wasn't a patch on Zidane in the 06 WC which was the definition of a one man show.

Albo

The team played better after Iniesta got subbed. I'm sorry to say this and i really dont want Iniesta to get injured badly, but if he was hurt, i hope its for a long time. The team is just much better without Iniesta. Harsh, but true.

raskolnikov

Old man Iniesta, even Eto'o smiled. Xavi is better at this point. Really hurts to see Iniesta like this, hope his injury isnt severe though.

Albo

So you want a player to be badly injured? One who handed Barca trophy after trophy during his career? Hell forget that wishing injury on anyone is a dick move. What's wrong with you?

I like winning new trophies, not gloat on the old ones. With Iniesta, 0 trophies inc.

Edit: And i'm not hoping for injury, but if he gets injured, i hope it's for a long time.

Home of Barca Fans