Andres Iniesta

EdmondDantes

He was amazing yesterday. He cut through that PSG midfield like knife through butter. We need him at that level now as the business end of the season looms.

BerkeleyBernie

I love that run/goal as much as anyone, but one has to say the PSG defending was terrible from beginning to end, right up until the keeper went to ground. That's partly Iniesta's "Illusionista" skill in making the opponent feel like he's just coasting and looking for a pass (which he is); compare that to how they immediately recognized Messi as a threat and closed down his runs (despite faster pace), willing to foul him. But from the initial player diving in, the midfielders and Cavani unwilling to foul him, the backline being so surprised he was even through that Neymar was left unmarked up the middle, and the keeper so surprised at the terrible defending in front of him he made no attempt to stand his ground- just
amateurishly bad.

Watch the GIF in real time on repeat, and focus on the PSG players individual responses rather than on Iniesta (have to actually give Cavani credit for even getting involved).

Brilliant dribble, but the most impressive part of that run was the impeccable timing/weight of his pass to Neymar, giving his teammate the best possible opportunity for finishing.

Last edited:
L

linetty

If someone glides past your whole team like that it always seems like defending was terrible. Many teams defend poorly but you don't see those runs every day.

BerkeleyBernie

If someone glides past your whole team like that it always seems like defending was terrible. Many teams defend poorly but you don't see those runs every day.

Certainly. It's a testament to the type of dribbling Iniesta excels at and executed to perfection (whereas they were much better prepared to handle Messi's style). I doubt any player would have thought twice about tactically fouling Messi, but everyone just figures Iniesta isn't going to get very far, because he doesn't look like he is really trying to attack. His style invites underestimation.

Iniesta has one good run and he's a world beater once again.
He used to play like that every game under Pep. Sadly , not a shadow of the player he once was .

Ekul

I love that run/goal as much as anyone, but one has to say the PSG defending was terrible from beginning to end, right up until the keeper went to ground. That's partly Iniesta's "Illusionista" skill in making the opponent feel like he's just coasting and looking for a pass (which he is); compare that to how they immediately recognized Messi as a threat and closed down his runs (despite faster pace), willing to foul him. But from the initial player diving in, the midfielders and Cavani unwilling to foul him, the backline being so surprised he was even through that Neymar was left unmarked up the middle, and the keeper so surprised at the terrible defending in front of him he made no attempt to stand his ground- just
amateurishly bad.

Watch the GIF in real time on repeat, and focus on the PSG players individual responses rather than on Iniesta (have to actually give Cavani credit for even getting involved).

Brilliant dribble, but the most impressive part of that run was the impeccable timing/weight of his pass to Neymar, giving his teammate the best possible opportunity for finishing.

Great observation. I thought the exact same - dreadful defending, but exceptional dribbling nonetheless.

Mido

Please Don we need you at your best against Bayern

This exactly, midfield will be key, even when we will want to counter-attack. I'd play with Iniesta--Busquets--Rakitic at the Camp Nou and if everything goes fine, Xavi/Iniesta--Mascherano--Busquets at the Allianz Arena in order to contain them.

Bayern are ridiculously strong at home !

Vlom

Previously known as Mehssi
This exactly, midfield will be key, even when we will want to counter-attack. I'd play with Iniesta--Busquets--Rakitic at the Camp Nou and if everything goes fine, Xavi/Iniesta--Mascherano--Busquets at the Allianz Arena in order to contain them.

Bayern are ridiculously strong at home !

Why Xavi/Iniesta-Busi-Mascherano when both time we played it (2legs la liga valencia) it was a complete mess ?

Mido

Why Xavi/Iniesta-Busi-Mascherano when both time we played it (2legs la liga valencia) it was a complete mess ?

I believe Valencia can hurt us more than Bayern in pure footbalistic terms ( which doesn't mean that they have more chance beating us of course)

Iniesta--Mascherano--Busquets worked tremendously well against PSG in December 2014.

Ini8

¡Gr?*cies Xavi!
Good game again, seems like he has settled in the system for now. Nice of Lucho to sub him to receive the standing ovation.

Stric

Maybe 2 games is too early to tell, but it looks like he regained his momentum. Looking very good out there!

Good game again, seems like he has settled in the system for now. Nice of Lucho to sub him to receive the standing ovation.

Yeah, that was heartwarming!

Home of Barca Fans