Andres Iniesta

Elite-BkD

Actually if you want to compare they're strengths and weakness, Iniesta is only slightly better at dribbling and has a more elegant style but that is purely aesthetics. Lampard and Gerrard are better at tackling, passing, finishing, awareness. But more importantly, EFFICIENCY and END PRODUCT; 20 goals a season from midfield and being able to win a game singlehandedly.
As for Fabregas he is the heartbeat of young and inexperienced side. There is only so much he can do to compete with Man U and Chelsea. As for Arsenal not winning anything?? The two teams above them Chelsea and Man Utd are the sides that have dominated Europe reaching Semi-finals of Champions league year after year. Where as Barcelona's only real competitor in the league can't even make it beyond the 1st knockout round.

Lamps & Gerrard are actually worse at tackling, it's just that they keep on losing the ball so you see them make tackles way more than Iniesta does. That fact, in addition to his superior passing and awareness, was the reason that Chelsea conceded the midfield battle against Barcelona from the start despite the fact that their lineup boasts players such as Essien, Ballack, and of course Lampard. You are right about one thing though, EFFICIENCY and END PRODUCT are definitely key, and statistics mean everything.

Lampard - 2 league titles
Gerrard - 1 Champions League trophy
Iniesta - 2 Champions League trophies, 3 league titles, 1 Uefa European Championship, 1 European Championship for each U-16 and U-19.

And as for Arsenal not winning anything...that's exactly right, they don't win anything. You're right though, they certainly do have some pretty tough competition in Chelsea and United. Hey, those were the teams Iniesta led Barcelona to beat last year to win the Champions League, right?

Last edited:
V

Valon

Lamps & Gerrard are actually worse at tackling, it's just that they keep on losing the ball so you see them make tackles way more than Iniesta does. That fact, in addition to his superior passing and awareness, was the reason that Chelsea conceded the midfield battle against Barcelona from the start despite the fact that their lineup boasts players such as Essien, Ballack, and of course Lampard. You are right about one thing though, EFFICIENCY and END PRODUCT are definitely key, and statistics mean everything.

Lampard - 2 league titles
Gerrard - 1 Champions League trophy, 2 league titles
Iniesta - 2 Champions League trophies, 3 league titles, 1 Uefa European Championship, 1 European Championship for each U-16 and U-19.

And as for Arsenal not winning anything...that's exactly right, they don't win anything. You're right though, they certainly do have some pretty tough competition in Chelsea and United. Hey, those were the teams Iniesta led Barcelona to beat last year to win the Champions League, right?

Gerrard has no league titles.

Merv

I have been watching Barcelona games regularly for some time now, and I still don't understand why people consider Iniesta to be one of the best in the world. Iniesta is a decent player with some fanciful moves and tricks, but he don't score goals or deliver the final ball enough.
And yes scoring goals is one of the most important things for an attacking midfielder, which is what makes Gerard and Lampard such great players.

People on this forum talk about Iniesta's involvement in the build up. Players like Carrick and that Real Madrid player who looks like Bruno (can't recall his name at the moment) also contribute to the build up, but people don't speak of them as being among the world's best.
To be among the world's best you have to be able to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and win the game off your own boot like Ronaldo, Messi, Fabregas and Gerrard.

Can someone please explain to me what makes Iniesta among the world's best, and what makes him more effective than other midfielders like Lampard, Gerrard and Fabregas??

:amazed: Holy shiitake mushrooms, Batman! I'm going to bed now. Obviously my brain is tired. :fool:

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Justin Fabregas is definitely better than Xaviniesta... that's why Del Bosque made him starter ahead of Xavi for Spain NT last week. He's surely gonna make the same team his main starting 11 for the world cup. Hopefully that will teach some blind fans who consider Iniesta to be better than Cesc a lesson, hope Cesc wins Spain the World Cup... But again since Spansih media totally hypes the Spanish based players unlike the English media even then Xaviniesta would steal the entire credit from Cesc. I'm so sorry for Cesc man, he's been made such a scapegoat by the bloody Spanish media.:sad:

Cesc for the WPOTY

V

Valon

Decent match. He's not effective in the left, it's been said a zillion times but that's life we ought to accept that.

barca96

Decent match. He's not effective in the left, it's been said a zillion times but that's life we ought to accept that.

i really don't understand pep's decision's sometimes.
like playing busi over yaya.
putting iniesta on the left. really hurt his game and he really doesn't enjoy football.
buy as long as we're winning it's ok

Pepe Silvia

I thought he did well to keep the tempo up, ran his ass off, completed a whole shit load of his passes, and drifted to the left when he had to. Pedro was officially LW but spent the majority of his time on the right with Messi behind Henry. Iniesta is pure genius in my book.

Cule Angles

Visca el filòsof!
I thought he was impressive, he did what was required of him keeping the play ticking over and creating the space for others.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
I think Don Andres was very good, not at his best but he was a very big reason Barcelona kept control of the game without Xavi, not to mention he worked very hard. Sometimes with Xavi it is said that at his best nobody notices him, because he just makes everyone around him look better. Iniesta had that role today.

Home of Barca Fans