Andres Iniesta

I

instinct

Problem is that Iniesta is always able to have a magical performance. Rafinha plays well but he doesn't have the experience and especially not the level required (yet) to be able to influence a game like Iniesta can. However, we should give him more playing time and Iniesta should improve.

anguy

So are we at the point then that we should reconsider his starting place in the team? Rafinha had some admirable performances recently and has more volume and directness to his game. Time to start picking him or is the difference in class still too big?

Rafinha has all Iniesta weaknesses, while lacking some of his strength. He's not more physical than Iniesta, or better in defense, loses at least as many if not more balls, is NOT better dribbler, isn't faster, not better in the air, has worse first touch and worse long pass (important for CMs in current system). I'm not sure why you want to start him? Because he's the new shiny toy?

Alik

If we keep playing the way we are we should be looking at a midfielder that is more suitable. Unfortunately we have a transfer ban.

That being said, I don't think he had a bad game. We're just not used to seeing him quiet.

Kerrybai

Problem is that Iniesta is always able to have a magical performance. Rafinha plays well but he doesn't have the experience and especially not the level required (yet) to be able to influence a game like Iniesta can. However, we should give him more playing time and Iniesta should improve.

Iniesta and magical performance don't belong in the same sentence anymore.

Rafinha has all Iniesta weaknesses, while lacking some of his strength. He's not more physical than Iniesta, or better in defense, loses at least as many if not more balls, is NOT better dribbler, isn't faster, not better in the air, has worse first touch and worse long pass (important for CMs in current system). I'm not sure why you want to start him? Because he's the new shiny toy?

Becuase Iniesta is providing very little at the moment. He has a few nice dribbles and the forum says 'he's back.', 'the don is back' blah blah blah. Its BS, he's not back at all and nowhere close to being back. The Iniesta I remember kept you on the edge of your seat and directly influenced the game. Give Rafinha a chance, maybe then Iniesta will wake up.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
Iniesta was largely a passenger out there. The way the team plays does not help him, but that is not all that is happening to him. He's not moving well; not getting himself involved much; when he does get involved, he lacks creativity and effectiveness; he's late to most of his challenges, had like 4-5 fouls alone vs Atletico.

In the first half when Atletico was pressuring the crap out of the CBs as they tried to play the ball out, the team was in desperate need of midfield play to ease the transition. And while Rakitic was moving all over the place to open up passing lanes, Iniesta was nowhere as involved and nowhere as effective. He was a passenger.

We may need to start reconciling with the fact that Iniesta's current form could be less of a temporary drop, and more a permanent thing.

iceon

I agree with the general sentiment of this post. However, Rafinha is definitely faster than Iniesta man. Not even comparable.

G

Gasgas

What is iniesta doing right now, really what is he contributing?
We are wasting another potential starter just because we think that iniesta will be back to his level. People dont let a couple of dribbles fool you. We need to move on, Rafinha isnt anywhere close to Iniesta in his prime but he has the potential to get there if he is given that spot,
At the moment i feel rafinha offers more than iniesta, why not then give him the spotlight and see what he does, players produce when they are given confidence by their coaches.

This is what our lineup should be

Bravo/ter stegen
Alves bartra pique alba
Busi
Rakitic. Rafinha
Messi suarez neymar

bismp

Because right now Iniesta plays because he is Iniesta.It is worse to use a player just because he was great than to use a shiny new toy.
I am not saying that Iniesta should be benched for the rest of his career or something,but give Rafinha a chance,instead of 20 minutes in finished matches.Villareal is a good opportunity

Hamzah

High Definition Member
Iniesta was largely a passenger out there. The way the team plays does not help him, but that is not all that is happening to him. He's not moving well; not getting himself involved much; when he does get involved, he lacks creativity and effectiveness; he's late to most of his challenges, had like 4-5 fouls alone vs Atletico.

In the first half when Atletico was pressuring the crap out of the CBs as they tried to play the ball out, the team was in desperate need of midfield play to ease the transition. And while Rakitic was moving all over the place to open up passing lanes, Iniesta was nowhere as involved and nowhere as effective. He was a passenger.

We may need to start reconciling with the fact that Iniesta's current form could be less of a temporary drop, and more a permanent thing.

he has been poor for a while now. but he is still a good player when we play a posession style.

G

Gasgas

he has been poor for a while now. but he is still a good player when we play a posession style.

Which is becoming more and more obsolete especially in big games where we play a hybrid system, that is why players like rafinha should be given a chance

Ghostmaster

Danger Ahead
2015%2f1%2fIniesta-Top-Image2.jpg

Only slightly better than Pedro:shakeshead:.
Was poor yesterday, but you should also take into account that we played counterattacking football on the horrible pitch and Atletico tried to injure our players.

Leo_Messi

Iniesta is almost twice the play when he has Xavi around him. In games like that yesterday night where the midfield is "overlooked" and possession is scarce (during the first half at least) his limitations get exposed. Mostly his play without the ball and his defensive contribution.

When in the right mood Iniesta is still one of the very best midfielders out there but he struggles in that above mentioned tactical setup.

It's a question of time before he is going to shine again. I am not that worried although it is clear that he has been regressing for the past 1-2 seasons. He still has it in him and I quite like the Busquets-Rakitic-Iniesta midfield trio to be honest.

jamrock

if you play in a fashion that does not emphasize midfield play, then a classically midfielder will struggle.

that simple really.

Home of Barca Fans