Antoine Griezmann

Tekkers

Huh? People fall head over heels for his versatility and work rate, but like I said these attributes are definitely crucial but are not to be sacrificed for more important roles like a poacher or a winger.

Messi has some weak points that Griezmann has, possibly work rate and a little more heading ability, but isn't exactly complementary since both operate with a left leg and has similar playing styles.

I get Valverde's team is extremely static and laid-back, but that doesn't mean we go on a quest to find players solely for their work rate, especially in the forward roles where their attacking roles are more of a priority. Work rate and mobility would be a bonus as should many talented players. In this case, get a new manager, not players that dont fit.

For me I see loads of problems tactically with Griezmann in our team especially with Messi.

Sure, he has some great first touches, but that's hardly fascinating. He lacks a lot of dynamism to be playing as an inside forward, acceleration and unpredictability that can take on opponents by surprise, minimal dribbling ability, all he does is take a one touch pass back to midfield whenever the ball gets to him and then either drop deep to collect the ball again. That's extremely one dimensional and conservative. The difference being Messi has what it takes to split opponents in seconds behind those lines of defenders and capable of more unpredictabilty. I'll say this, he is actually slow witted in terms of how limited he is; capable of only one or two one touch passing in face of the slightest pressure in the box, almost like the "Rakitic" of forwards.

All in all, he is a somewhat budget Messi-esque hardworking player who thrives in a less possession team and makes up with work rate whilst operating as a main man. Many seriously think Simeone is stifling Griezmann, on the contrary, coming to Barca is doing that to him instead, losing the main man role, while having to deal with heavy possession with limited capabilities and tight spaces.

You are definitely not alone here.

great post. you were one of the few posters who were extremely wary over the coutinho signing, whilst others such as bbz were claiming that he'd be the "second best player by miles".

i'm hoping that this isn't a case of déjà vu, but he could potentially become the next big bust that BBZ and others fawned over, which would be disastrous for the club

Arizona Scott

Is Griezmann a perfect fit, probably not. Will he offer more than Dembele or Coutinho around Messi and Suarez, I think yes. We he also take some pressure (and accumulation of minutes off of Messi and Suarez), hopeful yes too.

Of the two best solutions coming to Barca to help the attack IMO he was 1 of 2. The other was Jovic--but he is way greener and more risky for whether we get immediate pay off.

So given Mbappe was not possible, the Liverpool forwards also not being possible, City is not selling their big offensive producers, AG at a reasonable fee was a pretty solid move. Hazard would be another in consideration, but he is not the goalscorer AG is and I think he is more of a ball stopper that would work less well with Messi and Suarez. The only other guy I would have thought twice about if it was him or Griezmann would be Son--but no signs there he wants to leave or Spurs want to sell him.

Last edited:

FinBarcelonafan

Is Griezmann a perfect fit, probably not. Will he offer more than Dembele or Coutinho around Messi and Suarez, I think yes. We he also take some pressure (and accumulation of minutes off of Messi and Suarez), hopeful yes too.

Of the two best solutions coming to Barca to help the attack IMO he was 1 of 2. The other was Jovic--but he is way greener and more risky for whether we get immediate pay off.

So given Mbappe was not possible, the Liverpool forwards also not being possible, City is not selling their big offensive producers, AG at a reasonable fee was a pretty solid move. Hazard would be another in consideration, but he is not the goalscorer AG is and I think he is more of a ball stopper that would work less well with Messi and Suarez. The only other guy I would have thought twice about if it was him or Griezmann would be Son--but no signs there he wants to leave or Spurs want to sell him.

Exactly. There was no one better available and Griezmann is a star player with marketing value as well. At 120 mil € quite a bargain.

Maxim4

Suarez should be eliminated from the starting lineup.
We can not continue to put gasoline on diesel aged 28 and 33 years.
Put Griezmann in the place of this guy. Dejong, Messi and Dembélé will lead the offensive and Arthur, Busquet, in charge of possession.

mc_lovin

Suarez should be eliminated from the starting lineup.
We can not continue to put gasoline on diesel aged 28 and 33 years.
Put Griezmann in the place of this guy. Dejong, Messi and Dembélé will lead the offensive and Arthur, Busquet, in charge of possession.

For all his technical brilliance in pre season games Griezmann looked kind of lost in the box. I really hope Griezmann-Dembele-Messi works out, but Im not sure. Maybe a penalty box presence aka Suarez is needed.

serghei

For all his technical brilliance in pre season games Griezmann looked kind of lost in the box. I really hope Griezmann-Dembele-Messi works out, but Im not sure. Maybe a penalty box presence aka Suarez is needed.

Suarez Messi Griezmann is rightfully the starting formation. But we should mix it up a lot. For starters don't wait until min 75 to make a sub. Take Suarez off min 65. Put in Dembele. Mix it up. That is what you do when you have squad depth. Madrid wouldn't have won the league without Morata's goals from the bench back in 2017.

Madrid squad was in mint condition in april and may because Zidane rotated often and wisely. By comparison, Ernie rotates rarely and poorly. He is crap at managing big quality squads. Even said it himself.

Last edited:
Suarez Messi Griezmann is rightfully the starting formation. But we should mix it up a lot. For starters don't wait until min 75 to make a sub. Take Suarez off min 65. Put in Dembele. Mix it up. That is what you do when you have squad depth. Madrid wouldn't have won the league without Morata's goals from the bench back in 2017.

Madrid squad was in mint condition in april and may because Zidane rotated often and wisely. By comparison, Ernie rotates rarely and poorly. He is crap at managing big quality squads. Even said it himself.

With Suarez-Messi-Griezmann who will play left side ? Suarez in the middle and I think Messi/Griezi will be also middle or right side

Maxim4

With Griezmann at his side, Messi will be proud to smell a new smell, that of Erika instead of Antonella.

Arizona Scott

i agree, use the depth. use the ability to change up the formation. dembele can also be hell for a gassed defense and in more space. for the passing and interchange needed to unlock a tight and fresh defense--i suspect messi, griezmann suarez will be about as good as you get (not just for barca but for any frontline combo in world football)

kattanib

A good read that explains how regardless how you look at it, we are fucked this season. We have the wrong combination of players and the wrong manager. Players will be played out of position and we will have a weird disjointed attack

Basically Messi and Griezman more or less play in the same position and do the same role. Coutinho can play well as long as there is a LW. And all bets thus are on Dembele to be an effective LW or else we hopefully buy Freipo or whats his name and play him as a LW

[link]https://www.90min.com/posts/6409861-the-blueprint-how-barcelona-s-forward-line-could-look-after-signing-antoine-griezmann?utm_source=whatsapp&utm_medium=share[/link]

kattanib

great post. you were one of the few posters who were extremely wary over the coutinho signing, whilst others such as bbz were claiming that he'd be the "second best player by miles".

i'm hoping that this isn't a case of déjà vu, but he could potentially become the next big bust that BBZ and others fawned over, which would be disastrous for the club

Coutinho can be an extremely good player for us, really really good, if he plays as a LCAM along with Busquets and FDJ/Arthur

MagIX

We have the wrong combination of players and the wrong manager.

Nothing new, we've had this situation for years and years. Transfer market without logic, management without long-term projects and without visions, without the courage to change and make hard decisions for the good of the team.

Home of Barca Fans