Antoine Griezmann

Interlop

I won’t get my hopes up about the “mandatory” transfer fee. The phrasing of the agreement is very vague. “ FC Barcelona and Atl?tico Madrid have reached an agreement for the loan of Antoine Griezmann for a season with the !!!OPTION!!! of a further season. The Madrid club will pay the player's wages and there is a compulsory permanent transfer clause.” If the mandatory option is next season it doesn’t make sense to add an option for a second loan year, so the mandatory option to buy is for the second year which is optional for Atletico to trigger. I don’t really see the logic here, AM I MISSING SOMETHING?

ajnotkeith

I won’t get my hopes up about the “mandatory” transfer fee. The phrasing of the agreement is very vague. “ FC Barcelona and Atl?tico Madrid have reached an agreement for the loan of Antoine Griezmann for a season with the !!!OPTION!!! of a further season. The Madrid club will pay the player's wages and there is a compulsory permanent transfer clause.” If the mandatory option is next season it doesn’t make sense to add an option for a second loan year, so the mandatory option to buy is for the second year which is optional for Atletico to trigger. I don’t really see the logic here, AM I MISSING SOMETHING?

Am assuming if they want to delay the transfer they can trigger an extra year?

messi2140

6racies Xavi
All Laporta has done is weaken the squad and go about his job like he is a bull in a china shop. It's not the sale of Griezmann that the issue it is that the squad is INCREDIBLY weak and it has not been reinvested. Without Depay and De Jong this might be a midtable team.

Which, ok, well he's saving for Haaland next summer guys!!!

There will be no Haaland if we get knocked out in CL group stages and come 5th. Other than Griezmann all Laporta has sold is young players and in the case of Emerson treated the poor guy like absolute shit for a few mill profit.

As we mentioned our frontline now is Depay-LDJ-Braithwaite, when we play some games with that and play against Bayern there will be a massive flip of opinions here.

I don't see it as weakening the squad but as selling players so the club can have somewhat of a healthy wage bill , which something that had to happen. I just can't understand for the life of me how saving 150M of wages + an additional 40M that Atletico will pay Barca for a player that does fuck all on the pitch can be seen as a negative and considered as weakening the squad.

I do agree with you that the signings of Aguero , Garcia and Luuk aren't the greatest especially the former 2.

akaranzo

I don't see it as weakening the squad but as selling players so the club can have somewhat of a healthy wage bill , which something that had to happen. I just can't understand for the life of me how saving 150M of wages + an additional 40M that Atletico will pay Barca for a player that does fuck all on the pitch can be seen as a negative and considered as weakening the squad.

I do agree with you that the signings of Aguero , Garcia and Luuk aren't the greatest especially the former 2.

How is Garcia a bad signing? A 20-year old La Masia CB with PL and Spain NT experience for free on low wages. At worst, if he never lives up to his potential we can sell him for at least a few mil, which is already a profit.

Birdy

I think they mean the 2nd year on loan is optional.
The buy clause is mandatory for 40m. They can activate it next summer or summer of 2023

messi2140

6racies Xavi
How is Garcia a bad signing? A 20-year old La Masia CB with PL and Spain NT experience for free on low wages. At worst, if he never lives up to his potential we can sell him for at least a few mil, which is already a profit.

I honestly don't rate him and some of these La Masia players tend to stay longer at the club than they deserve just because they season their eggs with Camp Nou grass.

akaranzo

All Laporta has done is weaken the squad and go about his job like he is a bull in a china shop. It's not the sale of Griezmann that the issue it is that the squad is INCREDIBLY weak and it has not been reinvested. Without Depay and De Jong this might be a midtable team.

Which, ok, well he's saving for Haaland next summer guys!!!

There will be no Haaland if we get knocked out in CL group stages and come 5th. Other than Griezmann all Laporta has sold is young players and in the case of Emerson treated the poor guy like absolute shit for a few mill profit.

As we mentioned our frontline now is Depay-LDJ-Braithwaite, when we play some games with that and play against Bayern there will be a massive flip of opinions here.

I agree that getting Haaland is pretty far-fetched, considering every major club will be fighting for him, but we do actually have some kind of a shot now.

This squad desperately needs a fresh start, free from all of Bartomeu's ridiculous signings with enormous wages. Griezmann was part of that, and like most of those signings - he never performed to the level that you'd expect someone with his wages to do.

I think this is a great step forward, still work to be done to get rid of other deadwood like Umtiti and Coutinho, as well as the old guard in Busquets, Pique and Alba but this was a big step that we should be happy about. Huge chunk of our salary budget is cleared and we can actually compete for Haaland and other top players next summer.

ajnotkeith

He is not a bad signing in terms of BUSINESS but competitively, we have signed him to be a starting CB and its not good enough. This is my whole point, we are stripping our squad and selling whoever we can sell but not giving a single thought that those players must be replaced.

Even guys who we previously considered fringe like Trincao would have a leading role in the team now as we are starting Braithwaite.

akaranzo

He is not a bad signing in terms of BUSINESS but competitively, we have signed him to be a starting CB and its not good enough. This is my whole point, we are stripping our squad and selling whoever we can sell but not giving a single thought that those players must be replaced.

Even guys who we previously considered fringe like Trincao would have a leading role in the team now as we are starting Braithwaite.

You also have to take into account of who is available. Considering how little we could afford this summer and who was available - Garcia was the best we could get.

And this also applies when selling, we can only sell players that other clubs are actually interested in. Big surprise, but nobody wanted a crippled Umtiti for example, but Trincao had interest.

As long as we don't sell the only player we have for a certain position - we're okay. Yes, the squad is weaker this season but this is absolutely necessary for the club's long-term future. The way we were going so far was literally going to bankrupt us.

Horatio

You're welcome
Pretty sure partial reason for off-loading him is to weaken the french group within the team. Hope it works and Umtiti will decide to say his goodbyes.

FinBarcelonafan

Pretty sure partial reason for off-loading him is to weaken the french group within the team. Hope it works and Umtiti will decide to say his goodbyes.

All the French players flopped for us. Umtiti started the revolution of French players but then his knee exploded.

Home of Barca Fans