Antoine Griezmann

MTL_Barca

Do they need to buy him next summer or in two years time?

"FC Barcelona and Atletico Madrid have reached an agreement for the loan of Antoine Griezmann for a season with the option of a further season. The Madrid club will pay the player's wages and there is a compulsory permanent transfer clause."

From that i guess after 2 years. What's a bit confusing though is that there is a mandatory clause but the 2nd year of loan is described as an "option" so maybe Atletico can also trigger it after the 1st year if they want?

Messi983

Do they need to buy him next summer or in two years time?

From what I've understand could be next year or in 2023 depending on Atletico.

From bookkeeping perspective would be better in two years when his value in the books will be lower with just a year left on his original contract. IIRC it wasn't reported Griezmann was one of the players whose value was intentionally depreciated by Laporta but maybe he was as well if they've planned to offload him all the way.

Last edited:

Porque

"FC Barcelona and Atletico Madrid have reached an agreement for the loan of Antoine Griezmann for a season with the option of a further season. The Madrid club will pay the player's wages and there is a compulsory permanent transfer clause."

From that i guess after 2 years. What's a bit confusing though is that there is a mandatory clause but the 2nd year of loan is described as an "option" so maybe Atletico can also trigger it after the 1st year if they want?

From my understanding, it is precisely that.

In other words, to give Atletico time to finance the deal.

Something a broke ass club like us could of done if we had some transfer targets.

behindbrowneyes

From what I've understand could be next year or in 2023 depending on Atletico.

From bookkeeping perspective would be better in two years when his value in the books will be lower with just a year left on his original contract. IIRC it wasn't reported Griezmann was one of the players whose value was intentionally depreciated by Laporta but maybe he was as well if they've planned to offload him all the way.

Yes, that's how I see it too. Atletico has to buy him, but it is up to them if they do so in 2022 or 2023. From a bookkeeping perspective it would be better in 2023, from a perspective of signing reinforcements we'll need the money already next summer (although we could use it already as most transfers bar buy-outs are paid in installments).

Will Atletico also pay a loan-fee? I've read something about 10M earlier, but hasn't seen anything that confirms it.

Andresito

Staff member
Heard it's 10+40 and full wages, don't remember the source though.

Is there any reason why Atleti would benefit from paying next season as opposed to in two years?
Only thing I can think of is that they'll be buying a 32 year old for 40m if they pay in 2 years.
Not sure how many years they'd sign him for, 2-3 years? Signing him later equals higher amortisation, unless they're fine with giving Griezmann a longer contract.

behindbrowneyes

Is there any reason why Atleti would benefit from paying next season as opposed to in two years?

Maybe this has more to do with what happens to Saul. Chelsea has an option to buy him for 35M in 2022. I guess that's the only way Atletico can afford Griezmann next summer without any other major sales (which you can't "plan").

It's less a question of what are the benefits, but rather of "when" Atletico can afford him.

Rory

Tbh he looked shite and out of place first few games. As he has done since being here. Good riddance clown

Andresito

Staff member
Maybe this has more to do with what happens to Saul. Chelsea has an option to buy him for 35M in 2022. I guess that's the only way Atletico can afford Griezmann next summer without any other major sales (which you can't "plan").

It's less a question of what are the benefits, but rather of "when" Atletico can afford him.

Yeah but why wouldn't Atleti spend those 35m on another player, and further improve the squad? Griezmann is there for another season either way.

FC B

Awesome news for the club, now Laporta must work hard to offload pretty much all the dead wood in the winter and the next summer.

Home of Barca Fans